Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Wow my class 20 looks superb. I will be standing at my door to grab it from the driver who delivers it and will rush down to Platform 2 to give it a run.

Thanks David.

Rod

Glad you like it Rod.

Weathering with some restraint is always difficult, and just the same as heavy weathering, it's subjective to each individual, and each individual's perception is different, so a 'best guess' scenario is taken. Glad it's been successful this time.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I've been asked to fit sound to a DJH kit built Ivatt 2MT for a client.

A Zimo MX645R was provided and I've removed the ESU and speaker from the Ivatt. I found enough room for a twin speaker system using 2 x 8ohm 1.5w speakers wired in parallel. I've also fitted a 16v 1000uF Capacitor top help a little with any dead sections.

I've got more work to do on this but I thought I'd do a short test of the sound installation.

Talyllyn's gone very Midland..................... ;)  Here's the video:

More very soon.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 10

All looks good David. Cant comment on the Stanier hooter though. Are you going to weather it for the client?

Rod

Hi Rod,

Thanks, yes it is to undertake a small modification and then to be weathered as an 'in service' preserved example.

So even more restraint to be shown.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Anything new out of Jinty Towers Mate? :O  :sungum:

Work ruining modelling time Andy!!!

He'll be pleased one of his offspring arrived today. 

Great Coachman, now you are getting a variety. I've changed the chimney on mine and I'm about to change the oval safety valve casting for the correct round one from Laurie Gtriffin. 

As an adage to the Stanier hooter on the Ivatt 2-6-2t earlier, there has been some research by the owner of the loco and myself.

This is what we have deduced. All of the Ivatt 2MT's had the Stanier Hooter fitted from new, and these were a smaller unit that lay on top of the firebox. Some Ivatt 2MT's had a normal whistle fitted from works visits, these stood taller on top of the firebox. This loco in particular had a larger whistle, therefore the whistle sound is correct. This loco is one of the locos that worked the Welsh Dragon and according to the photos viewed, most of these locos had the larger whistle unit, although only one photo shows it clearly. 

Some photos shown here: http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/northwalescoaststeam.htm

It must of been a bit of a lottery as to what they had fitted when they came out of works in later life, but this one certainly had the larger whistle at the time it was working the Welsh Dragon. 

A big sigh of relief that the decoder doesn't have to go off for a reblow.

Thanks all for the input

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 3

Thanks for that Jinty. The Stanier hooter variation is a new one on me I have to admit. The hooter often lay horizontal because of its length I suppose and it was how I could identify which of the very few Stanier 5MT 2-6-0's carried one. The MR style whistle stood upright and could be seen sticking up in front of the cab. But whistles on Ivatt locos is new to me. Where is 'Jenks' when U need him!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Jinty. The Stanier hooter variation is a new one on me I have to admit. The hooter often lay horizontal because of its length I suppose and it was how I could identify which of the very few Stanier 5MT 2-6-0's carried one. The MR style whistle stood upright and could be seen sticking up in front of the cab. But whistles on Ivatt locos is new to me. Where is 'Jenks' when U need him!

It is quite puzzling as I watched a preserved example on the IOW with a vertically mounted larger whistle that sound like a Stanier one!!!

But it is certainly dangerous to go off preserved examples.

Jinty ;)