Andy Y

Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

3 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Hasn't stopped Hornby before :lol:

Yes it's probably less niche than the test train, although it's more of a collector's item I suppose

Agree you never know with Hornby , but a TPE full livery 802 has got to be a stunner . These 397 units (I think) look very nice too

• Agree 1

Just now, Legend said:

Agree you never know with Hornby , but a TPE full livery 802 has got to be a stunner . These 397 units (I think) look very nice too

I can see Accurascale doing the 397. They'll have the colours and licences for the Mk5As and then can venture out onto 195s and 331s, and of course the TfW and WMT versions. Onto a winner with them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

I can see Accurascale doing the 397. They'll have the colours and licences for the Mk5As and then can venture out onto 195s and 331s, and of course the TfW and WMT versions. Onto a winner with them.

The 195/331 is something (if I were a manufacturer) I'd be jumping on right away, especially given I am assuming there will be some commonality with the 397 so it could be 3 for the price of 2 tooling and CAD wise? If Northern are replacing all their pacers with them they'll be everywhere up North. And then as you say there are the other orders which I assume will look like the 195/331.

I am biased too as I would like a 195!

16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Anyone got detailed images of the front of the IEP Class 800 (both the model and prototype) with the nose cone removed and the coupling in use?

I was thinking of making a pair 3D printed coupling to join two ends of the power cars together. Something that looks a bit more realistic and something is atleast functional where it can go around a curve.

TIA

HTH.

Cheers,

Phil.

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

HTH.

Cheers,

Phil.

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5604.JPG

Perfect!!

Here's a couple of functional couplers (though not like the real thing) and a cosmetic one.

NOTE: These are by no means accurate and a faithful reproduction, they're just the result of eye-balling it and trying to conform to Shapeways' 3D printing criteria. So there do lack the finer details and all the cables/pipes etc.

IMAGE 1:

In the background is the functional coupling. In the middle is the cosmetic one. In the foreground is the functional one with a more trainset appearance.

1.jpg.a78b407d1f637c462730d9e62bea17c5.jpg

IMAGE 2:
Showing both the functional ones in a disassembled state

2.jpg.648f1bb9e2f7aa741fb9badbff7ab601.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ingenious! I particularly like the “less train-set” functional one. That they are not automatic is irrelevant because the nose cone has to be removed by hand anyway.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Ingenious! I particularly like the “less train-set” functional one. That they are not automatic is irrelevant because the nose cone has to be removed by hand anyway.

Thank you, when these go on sale, you will get both versions. I'm doing this solely to allow customers to get their money's worth out of Shapeways' ridiculous prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Thank you, when these go on sale, you will get both versions. I'm doing this solely to allow customers to get their money's worth out of Shapeways' ridiculous prices.

I had a look at your Shapeways link and saw these are currently on sale, are they still in a testing phase? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

I had a look at your Shapeways link and saw these are currently on sale, are they still in a testing phase? 

Yes, it was only uploaded a little under 2 hours ago... A few people have asked if they could be testers as they have multiple IEP Class 800 sets and layouts with a variety of track plans.

In regards to the LNER packs I have noticed the first one shows a full first class coach on the website. Does this mean the pack is based off a 9 car set and not a 5 car? I know the 'Celebrating Scotland' pack is based off a 9 car set and by the vehicles are given in the catalogue (811104, 813104, 815104, 818104 and 819104) are the same as the first pack (no composite or buffet) but on the website it shows a buffet and composite vehicles on the image. 

Does anyone know what each pack will contain as I would of thought the standard pack would be based off a 5 car set and the 'Celebrating Scotland' have the motor vehicles to save tooling.

1 hour ago, 43055 said:

In regards to the LNER packs I have noticed the first one shows a full first class coach on the website. Does this mean the pack is based off a 9 car set and not a 5 car? I know the 'Celebrating Scotland' pack is based off a 9 car set and by the vehicles are given in the catalogue (811104, 813104, 815104, 818104 and 819104) are the same as the first pack (no composite or buffet) but on the website it shows a buffet and composite vehicles on the image. 

Does anyone know what each pack will contain as I would of thought the standard pack would be based off a 5 car set and the 'Celebrating Scotland' have the motor vehicles to save tooling.

They are both 800/1s as far as I am aware