Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

4 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Just been on to Hornby’s website to see if there was any update on delivery of their “Trainbow” GWR 800 and it says expected winter 2023! Surely it can’t be 2 years away…?

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/gwr-class-800-trainbow-train-pack-era-11-r3872

Wow!

I hope not, simply because I would like to think that tooling is doing other stuff next year other than backlogs (TPE & HT 802 and Lumo 803, although my layout and bank account would shudder at the thought of that on top of 2 LNER ones)

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, curlypaws said:

Now coming by January 2 according to Kernow's news page.

A bit of a moveable feast, but understandable given the state of the world today.

Yep, would have liked it before Christmas, but would have liked it before Christmas 2019 too. It can wait another few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

i know this is a silly question but does anyone know where i can get new pickups for the driving car? my train was running erratically, stopping and starting. The wheels needed a clean so i took the bogies apart to clean the wheels and pickups. Upon putting it back together i've busted one of the pickups, i've snapped the wheel contacts from the bit that fastens to the bogie.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

The R3827 Celebrating Scotland Azumas arrived in York today somewhat ahead of Hornbys predictions.

Also sighted in Edinburgh area... pick mine up next week. Funny in a way as its about 2 years late but 2 months ahead of est delivery on the last order update I was sent towards the end of last year. Atleast that's 2020s pre orders closed off at long last! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Someone has posted a pic on face book to say the printed destination boards on the model is Carlisle calling at Watford junction which may just be on the wrong side of the country!

From the deanpark station Facebook page

A3E34889-F7DD-45C5-8792-16A8E5013575.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I see sample photos are up on Hornby's website (https://uk.Hornby.com/products/gwr-class-800-trainbow-train-pack-era-11-r3872) for the upcoming GWR Trainbow IET 800/0 and it looks good with a vibrant rainbow (version worn from June 2018 to May 2022). I am impressed with the amount of label details they have printed on the IET, previous releases were rather lacking in the finer labels (or even correct door colours). Nice touch that the air-con fairings are now painted correctly with grey. Promising signs for the upcoming GWR 802/1. Shall be interesting to see whether it is 8-pin or 21-pin when it arrives

r3872_8.webp%3Ffit=1

GWR green looks same as earlier releases, certainly Hornby's take on it. Still think Bachmann make a closer match, it is what it is if you want an IET. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

DCC question if anyone can help: I have just fitted DCC to one of the Hornby LNER Azuma models using two DCC chips.  All works fine on DCC but on DC I now get the same lights on on both ends (e.g both have front, or rear, lights on at same time). I can understand this as you have to program one chip to be in reverse (CV 29) to have lights working correctly on DCC, but is there anyway to get DCC set up to have front and rear lights operating correctly under both DCC and DC operation?  (As the second DCC chip is only to control lights, I used a really old chip.  I am wondering if newer chips would behave differently somehow on DC but not sure how that would really work.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Baldy said:

DCC question if anyone can help: I have just fitted DCC to one of the Hornby LNER Azuma models using two DCC chips.  All works fine on DCC but on DC I now get the same lights on on both ends (e.g both have front, or rear, lights on at same time). I can understand this as you have to program one chip to be in reverse (CV 29) to have lights working correctly on DCC, but is there anyway to get DCC set up to have front and rear lights operating correctly under both DCC and DC operation?  (As the second DCC chip is only to control lights, I used a really old chip.  I am wondering if newer chips would behave differently somehow on DC but not sure how that would really work.)

They’ve used the same board in both? The fact that you had to change the cv means when you put it on dc it now reverses the voltage. I guess you should be able to solve it if you reverse the pickup wires off the bogie and leave the cv as reversed. 

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

They’ve used the same board in both? The fact that you had to change the cv means when you put it on dc it now reverses the voltage. I guess you should be able to solve it if you reverse the pickup wires off the bogie and leave the cv as reversed. 

Many thanks. I will have a look at trying to do this. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Trainbow arrived today, finish is top notch (as expected and required on a model of this price). Will compare later with the previous GWR release of 800 003, although I feel the Trainbow has a better standard of painted detail with more picked out, but again I will need to check this. 

17C8E9BF-62EE-49C6-AA93-337CD368CA1F.jpeg

4A257195-BE79-47BF-988B-94FED8F3AAC6.jpeg

A12AFCEB-C784-4D72-98E9-53DB36C2D451.jpeg

Super happy with mine! 

IMG_1853.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Looks like LNER are doing a pride liveried one too called "Together". Hornby might be doing that and/or the "Century" one next year? Not that I need another Azuma but it would be nice to see the unique ones done.

Hopefully they do - and that the destinations aren't anything silly like "Carlisle via Watford Junction" 🤣

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is there much difference visually between an 800 and 805 unit? 

im wondering whether to try and get hold of a Hornby 800 in ‘test train livery’ and get the powercars repainted to represent an avanti 805 in test livery, (the coaches are plain white anyway so wouldn’t need doing)

a difference in the nose was mentioned at some point but I can see anything obviously jarring? 
763C2E88-233C-448C-8AB6-20B7FC534D1F.jpeg.95cc2015339bb843a1939276842bbc41.jpeg

682EB280-0E7C-4801-846B-89EE48EC999F.jpeg.49996aad9dc7e51269fc4b8647815892.jpeg

Edited by big jim