Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

On 14/11/2023 at 05:41, Ruairidh T said:

Perhaps the further delay in the Lumo 803 will see the model receiving the adapted livery? Note the silver and blue shapes on the nose, the front logo, and "lumo is proudly from Newcastle" replacing "Travel Well, Beyond Expectations"...

On 14/11/2023 at 09:11, Legend said:

Interesting. Wasn't even aware it had changed and a quick look at the picture I would probably have dismissed these as reflections or trick of light . 

I wasn't aware that the livery had changed either.  To be honest, I see them every day at work and hadn't taken much notice other than registering that it was a Lumo.  I must take more notice in future! 😂

On 14/11/2023 at 19:49, Ruairidh T said:

Hornby selected 803003 as their model, so I wonder if a renumbering is on the cards if they choose to use the revised livery (as carried by 803001 so far).

I believe the TPE set was going to be 802201, or at least according to the drawings in the catalogue, but @adb968008's photos of the sample model suggest it will be 802203.  Therefore, the Lumo set may well be renumbered when the sample/production model arrives.

Regarding the TPE set, I agree that the colours don't seem to match the actual unit.  I have also noticed slight errors with the painting as they've painted items which shouldn't have been, such as the bodyside indicator lights and the bodyside CCTV camera on the end units, for example.  Hopefully they can adjust the paint process to make it match and clear up any errors before the production run.

3 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

Hopefully they can adjust the paint process to make it match and clear up any errors before the production run

TBH if it looks like the sample when it turns up, it will be going back. Which would be a massive shame as I have been wanting a TPE 802 since they were built, but it actually has to look like one!

Also worth mentioning that the front end would look ridiculous next to a Dapol 68 and/or AS mk5a, I don't think either of these are perfect but they are a lot better than what the Hornby sample is and both are on the light side of the real colour rather than too dark like the Hornby one.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, amwells said:

Think I’ll be cancelling if that’s how it turns out. Shame as this is a great livery

Have faith, this is an EP.

The model isnt due till after summer 2024, when I asked, so time to change.

VEPs here first.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

VEPs here first.

My main concern is, IIRC, that they were all looking at it on YouTube and commenting as though it was exactly how they wanted it to look. I know they aren't necessarily going to say it's way off in front of everyone but I think I'd have been commenting on the colour publicly if it had been me to hold off this sort of activity on a forum.

On 26/11/2023 at 14:50, adb968008 said:

VEPs here first.

I did speak to two chaps seperately on the Hornby stand on Saturday - they conceeded the lighter blue was the wrong shade, but one of the chaps (don't know his name but he's been on the stand the past couple of years and appears alongside Simon K in the Hornby Model World TV programme) told me categorically that the grey (white) shade was correct as it is the colour code given to them by TPE and will not be changed. I mentioned I'd preordered a fair while back and if it arrived looking so white I would likely cancel/return it, but he said that would be the final colour for the grey/white - hopefully they read the feedback on here and see its not just one or two of us who thinks it looks rather off!

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hmm..

i dont think its that hard to see the difference…

59A500C8-D550-41FD-84F2-0CB980769DBD.jpeg.91d2582b3ed64d5b301bca670107cb78.jpeg

The front there doesnt look black to me, more like dark grey.

The first door after the cab is the wrong colour too.

5647F323-AD4E-4B8B-9A89-B222E4D1DCB1.jpeg

the model is showing the other end of the unit with the first class catering area, the door isn’t coloured as it’s not a public one (same as the first class areas on avanti/lner/gwr etc 

that said, the base colour of Hornby one is still very wrong in my eyes if they are saying that’s the finished item 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 28/11/2023 at 15:46, adamvb said:

was correct as it is the colour code given to them by TPE

Well just going off a colour code is a can of worms in itself if wanting an exact match. However I feel there must be something else at play here, as if it is a like for like colour code it should be close enough to be not discernible without offering the model up to the real thing.

Isn't it a metallic colour, and the one on the model looks flat? That said at scale it probably wouldn't look very metallic.

Edited by TomScrut

I seem to recall from the video that the current sample is the second version, with refinements being requested for the next one.  Hopefuly the next version will be closer to the real train.  It seemed to be suggested that it will be six months before the final product will arrive.

It was interesting to note that they are using a combination of tampo and waterslide transfers.  I would of thought it could have all been done using tampo printing, or would that have been to complicated?

On 28/11/2023 at 15:46, adamvb said:

[...] that the grey (white) shade was correct as it is the colour code given to them by TPE and will not be changed.

17 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Well just going off a colour code is a can of worms in itself if wanting an exact match. However I feel there must be something else at play here, as if it is a like for like colour code it should be close enough to be not discernible without offering the model up to the real thing.

Based upon prior experience, it depends upon what type of colour code was used and how they used it.  There are standard colour sets used in printing and painting processes, which when setup correctly, will give you an exact match.  With regards to printing specifically, both the design software and printer need to be capable of handling that type of colour code, otherwise you will end up with colour matching with varying results.

I'm not suggesting that it was setup incorrectly or colour matching was used in this case, but I guess it may also depend upon the medium being used to receive the print, i.e. the plastic bodyshell.  Perhaps it should have received a coat of white before the printed colours?  Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, Sweetling Park said:

There are standard colour sets used in printing and painting processes, which when setup correctly, will give you an exact match.  With regards to printing specifically, both the design software and printer need to be capable of handling that type of colour code, otherwise you will end up with colour matching with varying results.

I concur. At work we occasionally paint vehicles yet a lot of the time customers stipulate pantone (for example) which is not generally a paint colour spec, more for graphics, printing etc. as far as I am aware which can make cross referencing/matching slightly awkward at times.

Even then it's not an exact science. We also use colour impregnated gel on our fibreglass panels and that doesn't create an exact match when aligning with a painted panel.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to give you an update...

On 14/11/2023 at 05:41, Ruairidh T said:

Perhaps the further delay in the Lumo 803 will see the model receiving the adapted livery? Note the silver and blue shapes on the nose, the front logo, and "lumo is proudly from Newcastle" replacing "Travel Well, Beyond Expectations".

On 14/11/2023 at 19:49, Ruairidh T said:

Hornby selected 803003 as their model, so I wonder if a renumbering is on the cards if they choose to use the revised livery (as carried by 803001 so far).

The 2024 Hornby catalogue features new artwork for the Lumo Class 803 model and it appears that they are now using the revised livery.  I am not sure of the running number, though.  It is on page 69, if you are interested.

Regarding the TPE model, it is also featured on page 68, but the original photographs are still being used.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Following on from my earlier post, I have had another look at the artwork in the latest catalogue.  It appears that the Lumo model will be 803005 "Newcastle" and features additional graphics on the DPTS (driving) vehicles on the end closest to the MS vehicles.  Unfortunately the artwork isn't large enough to identify all the details, but hopefully further artwork will be released such as on the website.

Edited by Sweetling Park
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it's 803005 which carries the Stephenson's Works bicentenary vinyls.

The details on the side are on the front page of Lumo's website, "lumo is proudly from Newcastle" "lumo is a net-zero champion" "lumo is all electric" etc, also of note is the large luggage stickers advising passengers of where to put their luggage for different destinations.

Good call by Hornby, however I reckon this may have been at Lumo's request.

Something else to note in the 2024 catalogue is the missing upcoming LNER Azuma pack, only the extension pack is featured (which isn't compatible with previous releases if Hornby have binned it off!).

Edited by Ruairidh T
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for confirming that @Ruairidh T as I haven't seen it that up close yet, only when it passed me going the opposite direction.

Yes, it has been a good call, especially that we have just had the bicentenary of the Stephenson Works, which are of course a short distance from both Newcastle station and Lumo's headquarters.

I also noticed the lack of the LNER 801/2 train pack (R3965) in the catalogue, which is a little odd especially when the coach pack (R40350) gets mentioned.  I have checked and both are still on the website and are due for release in March and May 2024 respectively (correct at the time of writing).  I don't recall seeing the GWR packs (R3967/R40351) mentioned either (due May), so I assume it is due to lack of space in the catalogue.

I was half expecting the cancelled 2023 Avanti version to appear in the new announcements but sadly not. 

I think I read in the announcements thread that Hornby had acknowledged the issue with the TPE colours and were awaiting revised samples. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TangerineWizards said:

I was half expecting the cancelled 2023 Avanti version to appear in the new announcements but sadly not. 

I was hoping the same, quite a few about now vinyled up, 008 is the latest addition to turn up at oxley 

18 hours ago, TangerineWizards said:

I thought it (R30327) would appear in the 2024 catalogue too, but noticed it was missing. I assume they are going to finalise the artwork and perhaps release it once the Class 805/807s have entered revenue earning service.