Hornby announce Class 800 IEP

Andy Y

On 28/09/2023 at 18:06, Kaput said:

The 810's are shorter I believe. The 805's will probably be quite similar to 802's since they need to run long distances on diesel.

810's are 24m rather than the 26m on the rest of the 80x's due to platform length at St Pancras. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Decorated samples Of the TPE 802 can be seen on the new Hornby signal box video on YouTube from the 8 minute mark. It looks nice. Not sure if any of the other 800 releases that have come through have had the lighting updated but apparently the TPE 802 Has day and night mode new seating and space for a bigger speaker.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, gary_lner said:

Decorated samples Of the TPE 802 can be seen on the new Hornby signal box video on YouTube from the 8 minute mark. It looks nice. Not sure if any of the other 800 releases that have come through have had the lighting updated but apparently the TPE 802 Has day and night mode new seating and space for a bigger speaker.

Not sure on the blue on the sides and ends of the unit

image.png.165962782b1d9dfea8e7a0cb0fa3da4b.png

Looks a little too dark to me, which probably isn't helped by the Dapol 68 and AS mk5 TPE stock being a little lighter than the prototype.

Good to know they have gone to 21 pin for this and upgraded the lighting. The housing etc. lends itself more to a socketed than one with a wiring loom.

I am glad Hornby seem to be taking stuff on board and reacting to feedback on things. I know it is sometimes controversial and can't do right for doing wrong (APT upgrades, anyone?) but ultimately if they are pushing their products forwards based on feedback then I only see that as a good thing.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not sure on the blue on the sides and ends of the unit

Looks a little too dark to me, which probably isn't helped by the Dapol 68 and AS mk5 TPE stock being a little lighter than the prototype.

Good to know they have gone to 21 pin for this and upgraded the lighting. The housing etc. lends itself more to a socketed than one with a wiring loom.

Always difficult to be completely sure without seeing Hornby's sample for oneself and up close.

Here are a couple of my images of the full size version to compare with the image shown on Hornby's video.  The usual caveats about perception of colour, light angles and colour output on display screens also applies.

8022189M12Brighouse13082022RMweb1.jpg.337ed27d24a9b9cbaae64e2d35f5807a.jpg

802218 9M12 Brighouse 13982022

8022161P21HeatonLodgeJn24082020RMweb2.jpg.d2dc029f6ddeeb23a5f5685331dc9729.jpg

802216 1P21 Heaton Lodge Junction 24082020

Hopefully the final versions will also include evidence of the various 'yellow' warning notices.  It's not clear if they're present on the Hornby video.

Also, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the destinations shown in the bodyside displays are relevant to the actual route that the 802/2s serve.

Good news about 21pin though.  👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Also, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the destinations shown in the bodyside displays are relevant to the actual route that the 802/2s serve.

Good news about 21pin though.  👍

My money is on Paddington to Dover Priory by Hogsmeade Station. 

• Funny 3

42 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Hopefully the final versions will also include evidence of the various 'yellow' warning notices.  It's not clear if they're present on the Hornby video.

Also I didn't think I could spot the additional cooler packs (what are these for BTW, engine because of the power uprate?) on the roof that these carry.

However, it does look like the buffet is reduced to two windows.

4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Also I didn't think I could spot the additional cooler packs (what are these for BTW, engine because of the power uprate?) on the roof that these carry.

However, it does look like the buffet is reduced to two windows.

They're larger (compared to an 800) rheostatic grids to allow the rheostatic brakes to function when off the overhead wires. They are on any vehicles with an engine, in this case the 3 non driving vehicles. The non driving vehicle they hold on the video appears to have them.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for day and night lights, since IETs don't have this function. 3 markers and two headlights are lit on the mainline, the option is for full or dimmed on the headlights.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

They're larger (compared to an 800) rheostatic grids to allow the rheostatic brakes to function when off the overhead wires. They are on any vehicles with an engine, in this case the 3 non driving vehicles. The non driving vehicle they hold on the video appears to have them.

Ah yes of course, makes sense that's what they are for.

Screenshot_20231106_190543_YouTube.jpg.661f31796bb5e0da4e435489fd5b37f5.jpg

And yes, that looks like them.

8 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do for day and night lights, since IETs don't have this function. 3 markers and two headlights are lit on the mainline, the option is for full or dimmed on the headlights.

Good point. So will it be a separate function with a resistor in there that dims the lights or will they do markers/headlamp each side like most things that do have separate lights?

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Jo

Thats a interesting point about the lights then. Hopefully Hornby know about that.

Lumo Class 803 No 803001 enters Chathill station, Northumberland on 10.11.23 with 1E84 1123 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross service

Perhaps the further delay in the Lumo 803 will see the model receiving the adapted livery? Note the silver and blue shapes on the nose, the front logo, and "lumo is proudly from Newcastle" replacing "Travel Well, Beyond Expectations"...

Avanti managed to blag their slightly revised livery on to the 390 model... 😅

Photo by Paul Biggs on Flickr. 

Edited by Ruairidh T
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ruairidh T said:

Lumo Class 803 No 803001 enters Chathill station, Northumberland on 10.11.23 with 1E84 1123 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross service

Perhaps the further delay in the Lumo 803 will see the model receiving the adapted livery? Note the silver and blue shapes on the nose, the front logo, and "lumo is proudly from Newcastle" replacing "Travel Well, Beyond Expectations"...

Avanti managed to blag their slightly revised livery on to the 390 model... 😅

Photo by Paul Biggs on Flickr. 

Interesting . Wasn't even aware it had changed and a quick look at the picture I would probably have dismissed these as reflections or trick of light . 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2023 at 18:10, big jim said:

I seem to remember reading that too, to fit on the platform at St Pancras! 

CORRECT!

The EMR platforms at St Pancras are not long enough to accommodate 2X ‘standard length’ IETs and I imagine that extending them was considered as too expensive.

Therefore the EMR versions are as you say being built with a slightly shorter vehicle body length.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Lumo must rival Thameslink in the most unexciting livery stakes.

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Think you can add South Eastern Javelin to that !

I can’t argue with you about Thameslink but when it comes to the other two, both shades of blue are attractive IMHO, plain though the liveries might be. The little extra added to the Lumo nose is welcome, though. GWR green is high on my unexciting liveries list.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I can’t argue with you about Thameslink but when it comes to the other two, both shades of blue are attractive IMHO, plain though the liveries might be. The little extra added to the Lumo nose is welcome, though. GWR green is high on my unexciting liveries list.

Cant figure out Avanti at all , overlapping greens , oranges , what coach has what design . Just cant see it . Can't find a pattern or logic to it 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Legend said:

Cant figure out Avanti at all , overlapping greens , oranges , what coach has what design . Just cant see it . Can't find a pattern or logic to it 

If you stacked every coach one of top of the other in a specific order it forms the sentence "DFT says anyone but Virgin"

• Funny 4

10 hours ago, Legend said:

Interesting . Wasn't even aware it had changed and a quick look at the picture I would probably have dismissed these as reflections or trick of light . 

Not many photos of the adaptions out yet, seems to have just happened over the past few days. 803003 has had the new stickers since it received Pride livery though. There's also new luggage guide stickers on all the units next to the doors.

Hornby selected 803003 as their model, so I wonder if a renumbering is on the cards if they choose to use the revised livery (as carried by 803001 so far).

Lumo Class 803 803003 - Overton Road.

Photo by Martyn Hilbert on Flickr.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ruairidh T said:

Not many photos of the adaptions out yet, seems to have just happened over the past few days. 803003 has had the new stickers since it received Pride livery though. There's also new luggage guide stickers on all the units next to the doors.

Hornby selected 803003 as their model, so I wonder if a renumbering is on the cards if they choose to use the revised livery (as carried by 803001 so far).

Lumo Class 803 803003 - Overton Road.

Photo by Martyn Hilbert on Flickr.

Perhaps add a light grey band along the width of the windows, and a white outline around that band to finish it off ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Destination is Edinburgh…

I think maybe the bodyside is a little light but the ends seem fine.

Good news on the destination.

Bodysides look like the off white of the prototype set they did rather than the silver of TPE.

Still not convinced of the blue on the side. Pic from Flickr below.

802201 20190218 Biggleswade

On almost every pic of them they look like this where there isn't a vast difference in brightness around the cab windows where the graduation is on the middle triangular stripe. The graduated stripe looks right, it's the end and side that look like they need moving slightly towards cyan in hue.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Agreed, it's something I've been looking forward to... but that sample just looks nasty. Definitely a no from me if its released in that state.

When smaller companies like Accurascale manage to colour match and apply the livery correctly (and if I recall correctly, took a few attempts to do so at their Mk5s), it's always disappointing to see the usual lack of attention to detail on Hornby's models, especially on liveries like this where the original artwork, the trains themselves, photos online, and also customer feedback are all in abundance... 😐