BRM March + FREE credit-card size Magnifying Card + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

One of my bête noires from suggesting more of a particular scale/gauge is the often negative response of why it can't be done rather than taking it on board. Being told that inspiration can be taken from OO layouts for N gauge enthusiasts starts to pall when it is repeated and nothing is actually done - why can't OO enthusiasts take inspiration from a N gauge layout? I appreciate that this is starting to sound like a rant now so I'll give it a rest.

I see the validity in your comment; to a degree. Many readers, of any mag, just look at the scale of a model and disregard it and I think N gaugers are more vocal about doing that than others, particularly O gaugers. If N gauge is under 20% of the market and we're having proportional representation if a mag has 3/4 layouts the chances are there won't always be an N gauge layout. We had one last month which hasn't been in print before and we have another next month. I've just looked at my plan for the next few months and there is an N gauge layout in 8 of the next 9 magazines if we stick to the plan, but even that doesn't mean that a committed N gauge modeller will be buying them all. We don't see anywhere near as much N gauge practical modelling material being offered as we do 4mm or 7mm. Aside from the world of 2FS do N gauge layout owners do as much 'modelling'? I know you do with your buildings Graeme but I think that's exceptional rather than the norm. How about an article on N gauge urban structure building article Graeme to interest readers?

Gareth Collier, on 05 Feb 2017 - 14:20, said:

When does a 'free DVD' stop becoming 'free' 

When they decide to not issue one and the magazine stays the same price. You can't complain as you were not paying for it anyway.

I can't remember now but did the 'free DVD' coincide with a price rise?

I see the validity in your comment; to a degree. Many readers, of any mag, just look at the scale of a model and disregard it and I think N gaugers are more vocal about doing that than others, particularly O gaugers. If N gauge is under 20% of the market and we're having proportional representation if a mag has 3/4 layouts the chances are there won't always be an N gauge layout. We had one last month which hasn't been in print before and we have another next month. I've just looked at my plan for the next few months and there is an N gauge layout in 8 of the next 9 magazines if we stick to the plan, but even that doesn't mean that a committed N gauge modeller will be buying them all. We don't see anywhere near as much N gauge practical modelling material being offered as we do 4mm or 7mm. Aside from the world of 2FS do N gauge layout owners do as much 'modelling'? I know you do with your buildings Graeme but I think that's exceptional rather than the norm. How about an article on N gauge urban structure building article Graeme to interest readers?

Thanks for your comments.

Having a reasonable representation scale/gauge content shouldn't just be restricted to layouts. It's understandable with only 3/4 layouts that sometimes an issue might not include a scale specific layout. But with, say ten other articles, one might reasonably expect at least one or two of those to be about that 'missing' scale. However, with 8 of the next 9 issues scheduled to have N gauge is very encouraging and welcome. And I wouldn't suggest or support having more content than 15% devoted to N gauge, but it would be nice to get to that level overall - after all, according to Bachmann Europe, Farish accounts for 15% of their railway sales leaving 85% for all other scales they dabble in.

It might be that there is perhaps less practical modelling carried out in N gauge but I think we need to be careful about asserting that claim. Firstly, there is an option of encouraging it more with articles demonstrating 'how to' in the smaller scale. Often N seems to get treated as a beginners scale by magazines with basic modelling articles and very little to encourage and take the modelling forward and on to a higher/finer level in the scale. And secondly there is much that is undertaken but may well not get offered to magazines as an article if it is seen that those magazines don't treat the scale with respect or somehow are not supportive of it. Finally, of course, there is a mass of superb N gauge layout building (and other modelling) being featured here on RMweb such as Blueball Summit,  Frankland, Gresby, Bridge at Remagen, Ropley, Aviemore and Kensington Olympia that would rather suggest that people do undertake N gauge modelling in addition to the wonderful elite efforts of 2mm fine-scale practitioners.

I'm not so sure that I will learn much about urban structure modelling from writing an article myself although I'll consider it. However, it would be nice if the 'professional' team at BRM could delve down to N/2mm with some hints, tips and 'how to' articles. 

G.

I'm not so sure that I will learn much about urban structure modelling from writing an article myself although I'll consider it. 

I look at you as a teacher rather than a pupil in that arena.

• Administrators

I guess one of the 'positive' suggestions made in the recent run of posts is that people would like to see more printed content rather than DVDs or gimmickry gifts. I certainly would. I appreciate that others may have suggested that 'gifts' are welcome but the impression from the recent posts is that those on this forum are not that impressed by them. Perhaps on face-to-face feedback they are just being polite.

Those who come to the stand or stop me to chat at shows seem to have watched the DVDs in some detail. While a small number of people here don't want a free gift, these things aren't given away for fun by any magazine. After each one, there will be an analysis to see what benefit the gift has produced. In the case of the DVD it was an upturn in sales in a market where declining sales are the order of the day.

Best of all, they are popular with younger modellers and families. As less computers arrive fitted with a DVD player, the disks have to be watched through the living room TV which usually still have a DVD/Blueray player. That exposes the hobby to a wider group of people. My favourite example being a 9 year old I met at Warley. He was completely star-struck because, as his mum explained, he watches the DVD all the time. She then went on to ask informed questions about the stuff on my table while dad was renewing his subscription. Because she had watched the films, whether she wanted to or not, with the son. Is this good? I like to think so. We need to appeal outside the core hobby.

I have watched people checking out mag at shows and in Smiths and hate to say it, but modellers buy by weight. The important decisions are largely driven by the subs gifts, then how fat the mag is and if there are freebies. Most don't even bother flicking through and if they do, it's not for a read. I'd love to beleive that they hang on every word I write but sadly, pretty pictures are more appealing it seems.

While a small number of people here don't want a free gift, these things aren't given away for fun by any magazine. After each one, there will be an analysis to see what benefit the gift has produced. In the case of the DVD it was an upturn in sales in a market where declining sales are the order of the day.

I always smile when a number of people express a similar opinion about a product and the company simply and corporately dismisses it as just being just a 'small number'. It comes across as rather negative and insincere and that the feedback wasn't welcome. Getting no thanks for feedback and seeing it dismissed may well put others off also providing more, and, who knows, it might well be the tip of an iceberg. The fact is that a number have bothered to type their feedback on this thread; it would be nice to have those comments taken on board.

I'm pleased that the conclusion drawn is that the DVDs have improved sales, but what about the analysis of the free gifts other than DVDs? It might even be that the analysis is flawed. It might even be that not providing them and adding extra copy instead will improve sales further.

G.

I have watched people checking out mag at shows and in Smiths and hate to say it, but modellers buy by weight. The important decisions are largely driven by the subs gifts, then how fat the mag is and if there are freebies. Most don't even bother flicking through and if they do, it's not for a read. I'd love to beleive that they hang on every word I write but sadly, pretty pictures are more appealing it seems.

Why would people buy a magazine because its heavy ? Cannot see any logical reason for such  a decision. Weight could simply mean full of adverts and few articles of any interest whatsoever to the reader, especially when its hiding in the dreaded plastic bag.

Why so called "free" DVD's and credit card size magnifiers and previous gimmicks, would make anyone want to buy a magazine without seeing the content first is beyond me and perhaps many others. £5 or thereabout for one read , if no interest then they bin it. How many times would the buyer bother ,spending his guard earned again for unseen content ?

No doubt BRM will claim bigger sales coming from the extras added on. Not particularly obvious in the Smiths etc I visit ,as there is always a pile of unsold BRM's each month and very few of the rivals left on the shelves at the end of the month. I am sure other magazines know the sales figures each month for the rivals and would be following suit by now  if there is money to be made from freebies being offered.

Railway magazines will always suffer a huge problem due to all the different gauges available and deciding what to cover each month. 

• Administrators

I always smile when a number of people express a similar opinion about a product and the company simply and corporately dismisses it as just being just a 'small number'. It comes across as rather negative and insincere and that the feedback wasn't welcome. Getting no thanks for feedback and seeing it dismissed may well put others off also providing more, and, who knows, it might well be the tip of an iceberg. The fact is that a number have bothered to type their feedback on this thread; it would be nice to have those comments taken on board.

I'm pleased that the conclusion drawn is that the DVDs have improved sales, but what about the analysis of the free gifts other than DVDs? It might even be that the analysis is flawed. It might even be that not providing them and adding extra copy instead will improve sales further.

G.

Compared to the number of magazines sold, the numbers who have taken the time to type comments here or on other forums IS small. These are appreciated but will be looked at as part of any analysis. At the end of the day, any magazine is a commercial enterprise and it's up to the people running it to balance all this and come up with a product that people will buy.

Why would people buy a magazine because its heavy ? Cannot see any logical reason for such  a decision. Weight could simply mean full of adverts and few articles of any interest whatsoever to the reader, especially when its hiding in the dreaded plastic bag.

Why so called "free" DVD's and credit card size magnifiers and previous gimmicks, would make anyone want to buy a magazine without seeing the content first is beyond me and perhaps many others. £5 or thereabout for one read , if no interest then they bin it.

Me neither. I suspect it's the same "logic" that says N gauge should be cheaper than OO because it's smaller. That's not true either but it doesn't stop people thinking it.

• RMweb Gold

We do get a lot of positive feedback from visitors to shows so although some may feel they're not of value to them they do seem to have a wider appeal. We have also had good sales of magazines on newsstands when we have promotions and since the introduction and an increasing number of subscriptions so we do have to look at those as major indicators rather than the sentiments expressed here.

Some of the negative comments don't actually give a lot to go on; why someone is indifferent or negative toward them would give more useful feedback than just the fact that someone doesn't like them. The statement about shrinking presenters down is more of a specific and something I can identify with. I wonder with some things like that whether it is worth the production time in filming and editing; it's technically very clever but is time better devoted to more traditional approaches?

On this month's editorial page I ask for people to get in touch with ideas or content; I came back yesterday to an interesting email with some points to consider but, in general, it's fairly rare for people to take time and make a positive action and give specifics which can then be discussed. What do people want to see that doesn't get featured in magazines?

It seems people are more inclined to offer opinions, feedback and positive input face to face at shows and we look forward to anyone coming to see us at Doncaster this weekend or at Ally Pally in March.

Fair comment.

I think I'd better warn you that you might soon be contending with a number of PMs (from a number of RMweb members / BRM readers - almost certainly including me). I'm afraid you'll definitely have to put up with me visiting the BRM stand at "Ally Pally". I know I've got ideas for the sort of stuff I'd like to see - both in BRM and on this site - and I doubt if I'm alone.

If nothing else, I'd like to see more "how to" content in BRM - whether this is how to do different things (kitbuilding, wiring or whatever) or how to refurbish / adapt existing models. I'm sure that many of us have got old kits lying round - that we don't think we'll ever be able to build / complete - whether this is through lack of time or our lack of skills. In the past, I've referred to this as "kit rescue" (other names also available) - I hope certain other people wouldn't view this as getting rid of a load of $#@! (other descriptions definitely available).

Now let's see what I can dig up ... . On second thoughts, let's not - some things are almost certainly past saving.

I'd also like to see more in the way of RMweb build challenges - especially "motive power" and portable layouts - with entry categories including some geared towards inexperienced modellers - challenges run on a "rolling" basis (the year it's finished is the year it's entered) - and with some pages of BRM devoted to the builders of "placed" entries explaining how they built their models.

Whether this sort of magazine content would be "drip fed", a few pages every month - or all be bundled into an annual "challenge special" is another matter.

Whether the idea could even be made to work well is another matter - and might, to some extent, depend on the person who becomes BRM's new Editor.

I'd admit to being wary of anyone starting RMweb threads along the lines of "What sort of content would you like to see in BRM?" - or "What challenges would you like on RMweb?" - if nothing else, because of the sort of comments we could get from an intemperate minority. Saying that, the "comedians" concerned might well have been on their way out anyway - who knows? Probably best if I leave it to Andy - or the new BRM Editor - to start any "tell us what you want" threads.

As for saying what we'd like to see less of, I must admit to not being a fan of pages devoted to reviews (complete with enormous photos) of models I'd never be able to afford, even if they were of prototypes that particularly interested me. Saying that, I strongly suspect that some people actively look for these articles, so I know they're not likely to disappear from the pages of any mainstream model railway magazines any time soon.

I appreciate that others may have suggested that 'gifts' are welcome but the impression from the recent posts is that those on this forum are not that impressed by them. Perhaps on face-to-face feedback they are just being polite.

Perhaps some people. Definitely not me.

For a number of years, I worked as a "lab rat" in a university. As well as setting up the equipment used in lab classes etc, I often ran a number of these classes - and there was no point in being anything but totally honest with people. Most of these people respected me for being honest with them - and knew they could trust me.

I've commented in the past that it's perfectly possible to be objective, without being objectionable. Your comments in this thread are a good example of this - you're making sensible, honest, points, in a clear manner and avoiding confrontational language. For some reason, a number of people are willing to engage with this sort of discussion and take on board any relevant points.

In recent years, I've spoken to Andy, Phil and Howard at a number of shows. They all know me by name - and they all know that, if I have any issues to raise regarding BRM (etc), I'll tell them to their face. I'd also have no problem if any of them were looking for feedback, or needed to run anything by me.

More to the point, I'm certain that they'd respond in exactly the same way with anyone else who's willing to engage constructively with them.

Although I haven't had nearly as much contact with other magazines' editorial teams, I strongly suspect that similar comments could be made for any of them.

Often there is a picture of a RTR locomotive (on it's own - not on a layout) that takes up a spread across two pages with little supporting text. Nice picture, but often not much more than just an advert for the manufacturer. Maybe keep those in but also add in more content.

Obviously being an N gauge modeller I'd like to see more N gauge content ... I'd like to see more 'modern' content especially EMU modelling and prototype operations ... I'd like to see something on inner city modelling. Too often it is thought that a suburban layout suffices or a bit about modelling industrial rail heads covers it but inner city modelling is more about passenger operations (getting commuters in to work) and the need to model large commercial buildings like banks, municipal, office blocks and retail outlets that are usually located close to the railway rather than factories, farms, mills and mines.

And one particular niggle with free gifts (and this is a general comment that probably applies more to other magazine titles) is that when a specific gift is included it is of no use (and probably no value) to those who don't model in the scale it is produced in. One of my bête noires from suggesting more of a particular scale/gauge is the often negative response of why it can't be done rather than taking it on board. Being told that inspiration can be taken from OO layouts for N gauge enthusiasts starts to pall when it is repeated and nothing is actually done - why can't OO enthusiasts take inspiration from a N gauge layout? I appreciate that this is starting to sound like a rant now so I'll give it a rest.

I know what you mean about being invited to take inspiration from other scales, other topics. Since I've never had the space for a "permanent" layout, I'm not sure that my comments would carry much weight. However, I've always been more interested in unusual prototypes - trams - pioneer railbuses - stuff like that, which I probably can't expect any mainstream magazine to devote a lot of space to. This isn't the place for me to give examples - but I often get ideas from other people explaining how they built their models of completely different prototypes.

Certainly though, I'd also welcome "how to" articles about building models of multiple units (and railcars) - Diesel / petrol and electric. Some people would probably curse me for saying this - but I'd also like to see some stuff on how to put together and wire / solder working model OHLE.

Many readers, of any mag, just look at the scale of a model and disregard it and I think N gaugers are more vocal about doing that than others, particularly O gaugers. If N gauge is under 20% of the market and we're having proportional representation if a mag has 3/4 layouts the chances are there won't always be an N gauge layout. We had one last month which hasn't been in print before and we have another next month. I've just looked at my plan for the next few months and there is an N gauge layout in 8 of the next 9 magazines if we stick to the plan, but even that doesn't mean that a committed N gauge modeller will be buying them all. We don't see anywhere near as much N gauge practical modelling material being offered as we do 4mm or 7mm. Aside from the world of 2FS do N gauge layout owners do as much 'modelling'? I know you do with your buildings Graeme but I think that's exceptional rather than the norm. How about an article on N gauge urban structure building article Graeme to interest readers?

I take a different line: "don't worry too much about the scale - don't worry too much about the subject - good modelling is good modelling". In fact, I've been known to take this to extreme lengths - a few years ago, I even looked at a magazine about building model ships - a scary thought, I know ... .

Thanks for your comments.

Having a reasonable representation scale/gauge content shouldn't just be restricted to layouts. It's understandable with only 3/4 layouts that sometimes an issue might not include a scale specific layout. But with, say ten other articles, one might reasonably expect at least one or two of those to be about that 'missing' scale. However, with 8 of the next 9 issues scheduled to have N gauge is very encouraging and welcome. And I wouldn't suggest or support having more content than 15% devoted to N gauge, but it would be nice to get to that level overall - after all, according to Bachmann Europe, Farish accounts for 15% of their railway sales leaving 85% for all other scales they dabble in.

It might be that there is perhaps less practical modelling carried out in N gauge but I think we need to be careful about asserting that claim. Firstly, there is an option of encouraging it more with articles demonstrating 'how to' in the smaller scale. Often N seems to get treated as a beginners scale by magazines with basic modelling articles and very little to encourage and take the modelling forward and on to a higher/finer level in the scale. And secondly there is much that is undertaken but may well not get offered to magazines as an article if it is seen that those magazines don't treat the scale with respect or somehow are not supportive of it. Finally, of course, there is a mass of superb N gauge layout building (and other modelling) being featured here on RMweb such as Blueball Summit,  Frankland, Gresby, Bridge at Remagen, Ropley, Aviemore and Kensington Olympia that would rather suggest that people do undertake N gauge modelling in addition to the wonderful elite efforts of 2mm fine-scale practitioners.

I'm not so sure that I will learn much about urban structure modelling from writing an article myself although I'll consider it. However, it would be nice if the 'professional' team at BRM could delve down to N/2mm with some hints, tips and 'how to' articles.

I look at you as a teacher rather than a pupil in that arena.

Another angle which some people don't always think about is just how much people might learn about their subject if they find themselves "teaching" other people. I know this was certainly the case for me when I was taking lab classes - I needed to read up on my subject - I was then thinking about it, while working out what I was going to say - quite often, I'd also learn relevant stuff (or other ways of looking at things) from the people I was "teaching" - then there'd be questions, which might cause me to do some more research, ready for the next time. I'd be very surprised if my experiences weren't echoed by other people in a similar situation.

Before anyone starts to get worried, I don't think I'm ever likely to be approached to give demonstrations at shows - or give talks at shows - or write articles. Although I like to believe I've got a number of skills, few (if any) of these are in subjects that many people would be queueing up to learn about. For me, there is one very positive outcome from all of this - it means that most show visitors are unlikely to find out that my "charisma bypass operation" had a most agreeable outcome.

Anyway, back to the trains.

Huw.

When they decide to not issue one and the magazine stays the same price. You can't complain as you were not paying for it anyway.

I can't remember now but did the 'free DVD' coincide with a price rise?

It's not a complaint but, yes, if you include a DVD with the magazine with no additional cost it is a free gift but when it's every month for over a year it becomes something that is just part of the purchase price. I'm sure you can but I've never seen the DVD's on sale anywhere and, to be honest, I'd feel a little cheated if I paid £7.99 for one!

We were very tight for space in the New Models section of BRM this month so here's some extra images of the lead item, Bachmann's Stanier Mogul arriving soon.

Stanier_Mogul_3.jpgStanier_Mogul_4.jpg

Stanier_Mogul_6.jpg

Stanier_Mogul_8.jpg

Stanier_Mogul_9.jpg

Stanier_Mogul_10.jpg

Stanier_Mogul_11.jpg

Also there wasn't enough room for the prototype notes.

STANIER MOGUL HISTORY

Mogul.jpg

Courtesy AJ Evans

The Stanier Moguls are regarded as William Stanier’s first design on his appointment to Chief Mechanical Engineer of the LMS. The class was based upon George Hughes’ earlier and successful 2-6-0 known as the Horwich Crab. The styling drew from Stanier’s experience at Swindon before his new role featuring a tapered boiler and a general style to become more familiar in new builds and rebuilds from this point forward for the LMS.

A total of 40 locomotives of the class were built at Crewe works from October 1933 to March 1934 and were usually repaired at Horwich works apart from the final years at Swindon. As mixed traffic locomotives the Stanier Moguls were always in black livery; red-lined in LMS days and red,cream and grey lining under British Railways.

Although the locomotive design features the classic style of Black Fives, 8Fs and other tapered boiler designs they were originally delivered with a Fowler 3,500 gallon tender which was significantly narrower than the locomotive giving them a slightly awkward and aged appearance. In preservation 42968 has been coupled with the tender from a Black Five which suits the styling of the locomotive. Amongst Stanier designs the mogul was unique in having horizontal rather than inclined cylinders.

The original nine had square topped cylinders, and these plus the tenth had their safety valves mounted on the top feed, as with GWR practice. On the first twenty the boiler cladding sheets followed the contour of the barrel below, so that there was a parallel front section with all the taper concentrated to the rear. The next twenty had a continuous taper from smokebox to firebox, to which profile the others were eventually modified.

Initially the moguls worked across all four divisions of the LMS but by BR days became concentrated in the western division particularly around the North-West and the West Midlands. Although the moguls were intended as a mixed traffic locomotive they could initially be seen on express workings with their initial 5P4F, latterly 5P5F, rating their normal life existed of secondary line and excursion passenger work, parcels, fast fitted freights and general goods work.

Withdrawals started in July 1963 with the last being 42954 on 11th February 1967 from Wigan Springs branch shed. 42968 is the sole survivor in preservation and has mostly been based on the Severn Valley Railway but is currently undergoing boiler work at Bridgnorth and it is hoped, when it returns to service, that it will carry its original number and livery as 13268.

Erratum - A small error in the dimensions table in the review - the Wheel diameter of 5'6" should be in first column which equates to 22mm in 1:76 equalling the model's measurement.

I take a different line: "don't worry too much about the scale - don't worry too much about the subject - good modelling is good modelling". 

A view I take on so many things I look at; I fear that the myopia with which a small minority suffer from with respect to alternative scales and era is incurable though. Some of them are quite vocal too.

If nothing else, I'd like to see more "how to" content in BRM - whether this is how to do different things (kitbuilding, wiring or whatever) or how to refurbish / adapt existing models. I'm sure that many of us have got old kits lying round - that we don't think we'll ever be able to build / complete - whether this is through lack of time or our lack of skills. In the past, I've referred to this as "kit rescue" (other names also available) - I hope certain other people wouldn't view this as getting rid of a load of $#@! (other descriptions definitely available).

I am sure that any magazine contributor or staff member stops to calculate their hourly rate for researching, building, photographing and writing the narrative for a project will realise they will realise they are in serious breach of WTR. But all of us do it because we love what we do, 'professional' or amateur. I am not sure how viable and enjoyable dog rescue projects would be in that equation!

I'd also like to see more in the way of RMweb build challenges - especially "motive power" and portable layouts - with entry categories including some geared towards inexperienced modellers - challenges run on a "rolling" basis (the year it's finished is the year it's entered) - and with some pages of BRM devoted to the builders of "placed" entries explaining how they built their models.

Whether this sort of magazine content would be "drip fed", a few pages every month - or all be bundled into an annual "challenge special" is another matter.

Whether the idea could even be made to work well is another matter - and might, to some extent, depend on the person who becomes BRM's new Editor.

A valid point which I think can be tackled in a more prominent and coherent fashion, we shall see what his thoughts are in due course but he is very switched on to working across more than one channel.

I've commented in the past that it's perfectly possible to be objective, without being objectionable. 

I fear that a 'how-to' article on this would miss its intended targets.

Another angle which some people don't always think about is just how much people might learn about their subject if they find themselves "teaching" other people. 

I think many of us who have a head above the parapet have to get stuck into reference material and re-construct information into a form relevant to an article. There are snipers at work who will find a quick shot; I took one yesterday within 5 minutes of entering a show, subsequent checking shows it was displaced columns of data in a table which were fine when they left here but got moved at the design stage. I was caught unarmed against a determined and fanatical assassin who would think the aforementioned practical article on objectivity applied to someone else. I will ask Steve about the possibility of a small mirror as a future gift.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that this month's DVD was very useful with its insights into "new" technology.

Going forward, I wonder if DVD would not be a better way of doing new product reviews, freeing up page space in the magazine. As Andy has shown here, it allows much better photo coverage.

PS: Did anyone else have a strange "fault" on their DVD where there is also unedited footage of someone building a studio in their back garden?

PS: Did anyone else have a strange "fault" on their DVD where there is also unedited footage of someone building a studio in their back garden?

:laugh:

It was an extra where Justin Noble of Model Railway Scenery talks us through setting up a home office/workshop.

• RMweb Gold

If I have a complaint about the DVD, its that I'd like to see it complement the articles more. IN other words, if there is an article on building something, or describing a layout, then how about showing some video of that subject?

If I have a complaint about the DVD, its that I'd like to see it complement the articles more. IN other words, if there is an article on building something, or describing a layout, then how about showing some video of that subject?

It's not always possible to do but this month does feature Norwood Road in the mag and on the DVD and there will be future issues where the main features are similarly tied in. Many times I'll be off photographing layouts where it's just not feasible to drag the video guys across the country and also it takes time (have you seen how much gear they have?!).

Similarly, when you are undertaking a project the last thing you need is a video camera to contend with too; in the next issue there's a blow-by-blow account of DCC fitting the Wickham Trolley with completely hidden installation. If that had been videoed it would have been a succession of profanity which might not have gone down to well if you can only play your DVD after the watershed.

However, the DVD gives a medium where it's possible to show projects or practical subjects which wouldn't look good on the page. A surprising number of people have said to me over the last 6 months or so how much they enjoyed the videos of taking photos of models and the photoshopping of images (even though I know some would spit on their DVD if they thought it contained such witchcraft) - that would have been the dullest article ever in the mag.

Hi Jim,

The thing in front of the signal (actually a CR Signals model) is Catchpit lid for the drainage system, although they aren't often that colour because of weathering, but blue is the brand new colour. It's one of my 3D Printed components.

Looking at the photo, I need to bed it in a bit more!

Simon

Those lids can be bright and often stick out like a sore thumb in my photographs of the real thing.  I enjoyed watching Norwood Road on the DVD, all the 3D printed features add hugely to the realism of the layout.

Just a small, general comment to make about the DVD.  I'm generally happy with both the DVD and the magazine, but think that the DVD could but used to show off more of the layouts already featured.  The coverage can sometimes feel rushed; would it be possible to include a few more shots of trains running on layouts?  No doubt a lot of people will disagree, but at exhibitions I usually spend a long time looking at individual layouts, probably longer than the time allowed on the DVD.

Thanks Andy for the extra photographs of the mogul - but it looks like a three-link coupling has gone missing.

Thanks Andy for the extra photographs of the mogul - but it looks like a three-link coupling has gone missing.

It didn't have the chance to go missing; I only fitted the front bufferbeam detailing for the pics. Lazy so and so. ;)

I am a fan of St Simon's Norwood Road so i obviously welcomed its appearance in BRM but having said I like the layout what also needs to be said is that it was a very well written article to describe it - so double points to Simon, well done.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words Mike, having seen the response on the layout article, I'm starting to make a list of improvements / changes to take it out to more shows (I'll update my thread over the weekend)

Those lids can be bright and often stick out like a sore thumb in my photographs of the real thing.  I enjoyed watching Norwood Road on the DVD, all the 3D printed features add hugely to the realism of the layout.

True, but most of the ones I've seen have been less than bright! Its nice to know that my interview came out well (although I still haven't seen it, its too embarrassing!)

Good luck with that idea ...

You'd be surprised, my parents agreed not to watch it when I was at home!

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Another enjoyable and informative issue.

I do regard the DVD as an important part of the package.  Last night I primed a 7mm scale loco driver, then sat down to watch a previous DVD I hadn't yet seen.  It included a article by Phil on painting figures - really useful and full of good tips.  Many thanks for that Phil.  

Archived