Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I presume the donor was 032 (Stadler)?

Heres the renumber.. 20 mins end to end, condensed to 5 mins, with some real action included.

68032 Destroyer was used, with Railtec transfers.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

59 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Anyone tried to remove the nameplate so it can be fitted with a shorter one than "Destroyer"?

Does it come off as easily as the numbers?

Not sure how helpful this is, but when I stuck my plates on and didn't get them quite liked up, pulling it back off again brought the middle of the name plate off very cleanly so I expect that the paint can't be that good.

On 18/02/2021 at 19:19, newbryford said:

Anyone tried to remove the nameplate so it can be fitted with a shorter one than "Destroyer"?

Does it come off as easily as the numbers?

Hi Mick

I just removed Destroyer plates quite easily with gentle strokes of a cocktail stick and finished off with a light rubbing of a liquid Brasso dipped cotton bud - suppose that T Cut would work also.

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2021 at 16:28, JohnC said:

Hi Mick

I just removed Destroyer plates quite easily with gentle strokes of a cocktail stick and finished off with a light rubbing of a liquid Brasso dipped cotton bud - suppose that T Cut would work also.

John

Ta to John and ADB.

Less than 30 minutes work and I now have a Cat with a cat name.

68031 "Felix"

Problem is, I packed it away again without taking photos...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

With the success of this latest run of TPE 68’s would Dapol consider another run the same size of a couple of different running numbers?

Not sure if that would work in the near future and we all might be TPE'd out, maybe in about 2 years or more to refresh it and probably even better if Accurascale produce more TPE Coach packs down the line to revive interest.

In the more near term I would quite fancy Dapol doing the ex-ScotRail 68006 & 68007 in DRS Simplified Compass livery  to fill the gap in the DRS line up from 001 to 008. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Ive got 4, inc Lord President above, and potential for 5, Black Douglas, but only two rakes of stock on order.

i’m full, I suspect i’m at the extreme end of full, and as there is a few still about for sale, after a month now, I think that demand is somewhat fulfilled. They could float about until the mk5’s are released and then soak up, so suspect thats all folks for now.

There is still plenty of cheap bodies knocking about, so things like 68006 /7 you could pick up a body for under £20, get it resprayed. I wonder if we might see a new livery on the real thing soon though ? Hmm.. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ive got 4, inc Lord President above, and potential for 5, Black Douglas, but only two rakes of stock on order.

i’m full, I suspect i’m at the extreme end of full, and as there is a few still about for sale, after a month now, I think that demand is somewhat fulfilled. They could float about until the mk5’s are released and then soak up, so suspect thats all folks for now.

There is still plenty of cheap bodies knocking about, so things like 68006 /7 you could pick up a body for under £20, get it resprayed. I wonder if we might see a new livery on the real thing soon though ? Hmm.. 

Yeah I've got both new TPE's plus 68034 which could also fulfil TPE duties so yes I'm full as well.

I also have 2 spare DRS bodies ripe for a professional respray (not me doing it) but will need a chassis or two to put them on but not seen any for sale at the usual places unfortunately, rather do that instead of keep swapping bodies.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2021 at 16:24, classy52 said:

Yeah I've got both new TPE's plus 68034 which could also fulfil TPE duties so yes I'm full as well.

I also have 2 spare DRS bodies ripe for a professional respray (not me doing it) but will need a chassis or two to put them on but not seen any for sale at the usual places unfortunately, rather do that instead of keep swapping bodies.

Chassis are like gold..

The first few 68’s apparently had a printing error, and were replaced.

Since then the faulty bodies have streamed out to ebay etc, and are the basis for so many resprays, but are “on bricks” without wheels.. creating that shortage.

I was trying to work out exactly what the printing error was though ? Ive never actually seen a picture of the faulty ones. 

Edited by adb968008

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I was trying to work out exactly what the printing error was though ? Ive never actually seen a picture of the faulty ones

The green faded stripe one one side is biased towards one end of the loco when it should be even.

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Chassis are like gold..

The first few 68’s apparently had a printing error, and were replaced.

Since then the faulty bodies have streamed out to ebay etc, and are the basis for so many resprays, but are “on bricks” without wheels.. creating that shortage.

I was trying to work out exactly what the printing error was though ? Ive never actually seen a picture of the faulty ones. 

All 3 from the very first batch 68001, 68002 & 68005 had the printing error on one side.

I had purchased at the time 68001 from DRS Direct Shop for over the odds (£201) due to it being a limited run of 300 but predictably still on sale several years later and today thus I suppose I'm one of a few mugs who paid that price thinking it would sell out which it hadn't...mind you it is still that price.

Anyway had the body for 68001 replaced with a new one for free from Dapol and recently purchased their 68002 & 68005 bodies from Dapol direct (£15 each) and just waited for appropriate 68's to come up on eBay and eventually got an actual new 68002 (it still had the original printing error) and another 68003 (is now 68005) thus why I have a spare 68002 (printing error) & 68003 (new) bodies.

Too be honest not sure what to do with them whether to keep or sell???

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The green faded stripe one one side is biased towards one end of the loco when it should be even.

Yes correct, if you look at a 68 from one side with No1 end on your right it is that side where the fade stripes stop short of the cab so to speak but at the other end the stripes go beyond the cab end, its basically off centre.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, classy52 said:

Anyway had the body for 68001 replaced with a new one for free from Dapol and recently purchased their 68002 & 68005 bodies from Dapol direct (£15 each) and just waited for appropriate 68's to come up on eBay and eventually got an actual new 68002 (it still had the original printing error) and another 68003 (is now 68005) thus why I have a spare 68002 (printing error) & 68003 (new) bodies.

Too be honest not sure what to do with them whether to keep or sell???

"Graded" bodies now £10...

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-113407/graded-class-68-drs-bodyshell-1st-run-oo-gauge.htm

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Ive bought mine from here, for a chopping up project.

the £15 Dapol ones are corrected versions as I understand it.

Wanted to make sure I was chopping up the right version, before I started.

Edited by adb968008