Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Guest 40-something

Too be honest the DRS Shop 68001 @£200 is now pretty much the same price or slightly more expensive than the 68002/005 being sold on thiefBay so just comes down to which number you want not to mention the snazzy box you get with the limited edition 001 plus a certificate.

Why do you always call eBay 'thiefbay'? If someone is willing to pay over the odds for something, that's not the fault of eBay nor the seller, so no thieving involved.

Why do you always call eBay 'thiefbay'? If someone is willing to pay over the odds for something, that's not the fault of eBay nor the seller, so no thieving involved.

"Thieving" is probably not strictly the correct word to use, as that would imply something illegal was happening. However, I would suggest that what is going on is certainly unethical. It's a bit like ticket touts buying up wads of concert tickets knowing fine well that genuine fans who didn't get on to Ticketmaster before they did, will now have no alternative but to pay the grossly inflated prices that they are asking if they want to see their favourite artist. If you don't want to actually have the locomotive yourself you shouldn't be buying one, and thus preventing those who genuinely do want one (me for example) from buying one at the correct selling price. I might fall short of calling it "thieving", but I certainly wouldn't condone or defend those who indulge in the practice.

Edited by sonofjamie

Guest 40-something

"Thieving" is probably not strictly the correct word to use, as that would imply something illegal was happening. However, I would suggest that what is going on is certainly unethical. It's a bit like ticket touts buying up wads of concert tickets knowing fine well that genuine fans who didn't get on to Ticketmaster before they did, will now have no alternative but to pay the grossly inflated prices that they are asking if they want to see their favourite artist. If you don't want to actually have the locomotive yourself you shouldn't be buying one, and thus preventing those who genuinely do want one (me for example) from buying one at the correct selling price. I might fall short of calling it "thieving", but I certainly wouldn't condone or defend those who indulge in the practice.

I dont condone the actions either, but no one is forcing you to buy the loco, if you really wanted one, then it was available to pre-order at many outlets, and there are still some available at no more than RRP if you shop around  Failing that, then Dapol are producing more, their intention is to produce the whole DRS owned examples at least.

I dont condone the actions either, but no one is forcing you to buy the loco, if you really wanted one, then it was available to pre-order at many outlets, and there are still some available at no more than RRP if you shop around  Failing that, then Dapol are producing more, their intention is to produce the whole DRS owned examples at least.

I am also willing to concede that those who do buy from these sellers/touts are inadvertently condoning the practice themselves. If nobody bought from ticket touts or eBay sellers selling at more than RRP, then they would stop doing it overnight and the problem would be put to bed once and for all.

i can't find a DRS livery anywhere are rrp, if you know of an outlet that is selling at rrp I would appreciate you letting me know.

Thanks for the intel on these Mick.   When I checked the website, the DRS ones were sold out although they still had some Scotrail versions - nice.

I've now taken the plunge and ordered some Railtec transfers to apply to some repainted mk2F's

Hi, I've sent off for a set of transfers may as well have a go, the vinyl's sound like fun :senile:

Very happy with my ScotRail one, which arrived yesterday.  One thing I have done, to tweak the livery as such, is to remove a single spot on each corner above the warning panel.  Although not perfect, thanks to the spots all being in the wrong place, it's a pleasing compromise that I can now live with.  A small amount of T-Cut per dot and a cocktail stick did the trick and has left no visible mark at all.  It's easy!

post-6712-0-15701500-1488487610_thumb.jpg

I'm more than happy with the running and nothing else is amiss with it in any way.  No wonky nameplates or anything, thankfully!  Just need to find a suitable decoder and I'm laughing.  I'll work out how to do new wheels for it in due course.  Being 2.5mm stub axles, my original plan will need a rethink.  At least it has wiper pickups, which means I might be able to use a stepped axle from the EMGS stores if possible.  Still needs new etched brake discs too....

Edited by Tim
  • Like 4

Very happy with my ScotRail one, which arrived yesterday.  One thing I have done, to tweak the livery as such, is to remove a single spot on each corner above the warning panel.  Although not perfect, thanks to the spots all being in the wrong place, it's a pleasing compromise that I can now live with.  A small amount of T-Cut per dot and a cocktail stick did the trick and has left no visible mark at all.  It's easy!

attachicon.gif68007_less spots_31922a.jpg

I'm more than happy with the running and nothing else is amiss with it in any way.  No wonky nameplates or anything, thankfully!  Just need to find a suitable decoder and I'm laughing.  I'll work out how to do new wheels for it in due course.  Being 2.5mm stub axles, my original plan will need a rethink.  At least it has wiper pickups, which means I might be able to use a stepped axle from the EMGS stores if possible.  Still needs new etched brake discs too....

I have this one on pre order DCC Fitted from Hattons .... just a few weeks to wait :)

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! I'll want at least two sets..... :mail:

I only need one set as it will do two DRS locos, as they'll only be running with the correctly printed side to the public at shows.....

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Very happy with my ScotRail one, which arrived yesterday. One thing I have done, to tweak the livery as such, is to remove a single spot on each corner above the warning panel. Although not perfect, thanks to the spots all being in the wrong place, it's a pleasing compromise that I can now live with. A small amount of T-Cut per dot and a cocktail stick did the trick and has left no visible mark at all. It's easy!

68007_less spots_31922a.jpg

I'm more than happy with the running and nothing else is amiss with it in any way. No wonky nameplates or anything, thankfully! Just need to find a suitable decoder and I'm laughing. I'll work out how to do new wheels for it in due course. Being 2.5mm stub axles, my original plan will need a rethink. At least it has wiper pickups, which means I might be able to use a stepped axle from the EMGS stores if possible. Still needs new etched brake discs too....

If you are not going for sound use a Lokpilot 4, the halos will work with all the other lighting functions

• RMweb Premium

My son bought the Scotrail 68006 at Model Rail Scotland after clearing out a lot of his older stock last weekend, took it out to the garage last night to give it a try and as soon as it was placed on the layout there was a dead short!

Took the blanking plug off and placed it back on the track and all was ok, tried another blanking plug and it ran fine as loco 0, then tried a Bachmann 21 pin decoder and all was fine again so thankfully it looks like it was only the original blanking plug that was the problem!

Have to say its a cracking model, James is now clearing out more of his older stuff for sound and some mk2's!!

Anyone else found the tension lock coupler snags the rail when not coupled to anything?

Speaking of that, I'm looking at my 68001 and it's sitting on a bit of MDF not on a rail and must say the coupler is literally kissing the surface and would safely say that it will cause a problem on an actual rail if not pulling anything. I don't have a layout so I can't test but yes it is to low for my liking and will be changing that to a Kadee in the future.

Edited by classy52

No we don't! I spent ages converting some!!!! I would hate to have better ones made which I have to spend more money on!!!

I know how you feel. I've spent hours and hours improving and respraying four rakes of Hornby Mk 3s, only for Oxford to come along with what looks like is going to be a much better version. They're even doing the ScotRail version, darn it!

Edited by Waverley West

I will be releasing vinyls for these coaches to fit the Airfix / Dapol / Hornby Mk2d stock. Anticipating these will be ready towards the end of March (after my holiday!).

Well that saves me sending the 10 mk'2 i have in the loft off for a respray :-).

regards,

Darryl

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I just appear to have bought a chiltern livery one too!

Got Richard at dagfileds to fit it with a Bachmann 4 function chip while in the shop, hopefully we got the switches in the right orientation for the lights, ran superbly on his test track, gonna have a shed night later and give it a good run if I can (and chip up my Drs one too)

• Like 3