Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

As per a previous post by 159220 on this thread I asked Dapol a few months ago on the Digest how many 68s will be produced.

The answer was that all running numbers, names and liveries will be produced over a period of time. It was also advised that three or four locos per year would be produced.

It's also suggested that another batch will be produced by the end of the year so I am sure that more DRS liveried models will be in that batch.

It's also been said that if any 68s are repainted/vinyled into Northern Belle livery and TPE they will be produced as well.

My advice to anyone would be that if you have missed the first batch then their will be more opportunities to buy 68s.

Hope this helps.

Very easy to dismantle and remove...a few weeks since I did nine of mine but remove the plastc clip from the gearbox tower, remove the worm-gear & bearings and drop the gearbox...watch for short length wires to the pickups.   I know it was easy.

You lost me at dismantle and remove...as for the rest no way I'm doing that to 3 68's for some dotted transfers lol :no:

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

All I've done to apply some new etchings on my two 68's is to remove the bogie frame, and the job is done. Then replace the bogie frame. I don't understand the need for all the other work.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it's a real shame that with 27 68s currently in the country and more on order and 10 88s that the older DRS traction looks like it will be sold on, used as spares donors or scrapped.

I really wish that DRS would have overhauled the 14 37/6s and other 37s but I suppose the cost to do that just isn't financially viable and with Colas now having their own fleet of 37s to use on Network Rail test trains it means that they rarely require to hire in DRS locos.

It's really sad and a big change in the times.

Perhaps West Coast Railways will buy up some of their 37's if they do sell them on. Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps West Coast Railways will buy up some of their 37's if they do sell them on.

That could happen. HNRC and Europhoenix may also buy some more 37s.

There is also the option of Colas buying some 37s. Although with Colas hiring them from DRS would buying them outright after several years be an option that is considered now?

Hi all,

Has anyone bought the DRS 68001 Limited Edition and fitted a DCC Decoder to the loco themselves?

If so how easy is it to remove the body of the loco to fit the DCC Decoder?

Do instrictions to remove the body come in the box with the loco?

Thank you very much in advance.

Very easy to remove the body just follow the instructions included in the box. What chip are you planning on instailing ? Edited by Anthony566

• RMweb Premium

Very easy to remove the body just follow the instructions included in the box. What chip are you planning on instailing ?

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know.

I'm thinking of using a Gaugemaster 21 Pin DCC27 Decoder. I think these have been fitted into the six standard DCC Fitted models.

Thank you very much for the reply and for letting me know.

I'm thinking of using a Gaugemaster 21 Pin DCC27 Decoder. I think these have been fitted into the six standard DCC Fitted models.

I used the ESU Lokpilot V4 DCC and everything worked just fine i have not tried the one you listed but please let us know how you get on with it.

• RMweb Premium

I used the ESU Lokpilot V4 DCC and everything worked just fine i have not tried the one you listed but please let us know how you get on with it.

Yes I will let you know how I get on with it.

I am hopefully going to be acquiring 68001. I just couldn't afford to buy it when it was released a few weeks ago because I had already bought the six standard models as DCC Fitted versions. Hopefully I can afford to buy 68001 in the next few weeks.

Thank you very much for letting me know. I really appreciate it.

• RMweb Premium

The body unclips from mouldings just like the old Lima models, no screws.

I used these in two of mine:-

https://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-112160/tcs-eu821x-21-pin-direct-fitting-decoder-1674.htm

Thank you very much for letting me know. I really appreciate it.

That's brilliant. It means that taking the body off of the Class 68 will be easy and their are other options that I can use for the DCC Decoder.

Thank you very much.

• RMweb Premium

Could someone confirm are the factory fitted decoders fitted in the 68s  RailCom compatible.

Hi,

I do not know which decoder was used in the DCC fitted version. However, I have found that ESU do a RailCom transmitter unit suitable for an ESU V4 decoder..

Link: http://www.esu.eu/en/products/accessories/railcomr-transmitter-unit/

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, i thought the latest ESU V4 decoders would be compatible, the dcc fitted version have DCC 27s fitted i think.

I'm sure that the DCC Fitted Class 68s have the Gaugemaster DCC27 Decoder fitted.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium

My factory DCC fitted model has a TCS decoder on board

attachicon.gifIMG_2895.JPG

Thank you very much for letting me know.

That's very interesting. I'm sure that it was posted on the Dapol Digest that Gaugemaster DCC27 Decoders would be fitted to the Class 68s. Maybe since then Dapol changed their minds.

Like the brake disc transfers but for an idiot like me how easy or hard is it to take the wheels off the bogie to put the transfers on?

Just taken a quick look at my 68 loco and it wouldn't appear easy and to me looks like you have to dismantle each bogie, would love to hear anyone's advice on the matter.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.

Really easy job getting to the wheels.

Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to unclip the bogie sides/ base.

post-17057-0-10700800-1491421781_thumb.jpg

(You can just about make out the clip in the centre of this photo)

Once the bogie side/ base is removed the wheels lift out

post-17057-0-30019300-1491421881_thumb.jpg

Then the fiddly bit, adding the transfers!

post-17057-0-83869500-1491421936_thumb.jpg

Reassembled!

post-17057-0-58927500-1491421973_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Steve at Railtec. I think the wheels look loads better.

• Like 10

Hi Steve.

Really easy job getting to the wheels.

Use a small flat bladed screwdriver to unclip the bogie sides/ base.

attachicon.gifIMG_2922.JPG

(You can just about make out the clip in the centre of this photo)

Once the bogie side/ base is removed the wheels lift out

attachicon.gifIMG_2923.JPG

Then the fiddly bit, adding the transfers!

attachicon.gifIMG_2921.JPG

Reassembled!

attachicon.gifIMG_2925.JPG

Thanks to Steve at Railtec. I think the wheels look loads better.

Hi Sam,

Really appreciate the effort to show me, and others, how do this piece of work and with your excellent photography I will give it a go...and yes the wheels look so much better thus I'm sold.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Sam,

Really appreciate the effort to show me, and others, how do this piece of work and with your excellent photography I will give it a go...and yes the wheels look so much better thus I'm sold.

Cheers

Steve

Yep gone ahead & purchased these for my 68's, Steve at Railtec was also a big help as well in getting more produced thus allowing me to get 3 lots when he only had 2 in stock at the time...he's fully stocked up now if anyone is interested.

Could someone confirm are the factory fitted decoders fitted in the 68s  RailCom compatible.

.....However, I have found that ESU do a RailCom transmitter unit suitable for an ESU V4 decoder........

Thanks for your reply, i thought the latest ESU V4 decoders would be compatible.....

The additional RailCom transmitter is not required for the ESU LokSound V4.0, LokPilot V4.0 or LokPilot Standard decoders.

These are already RailCom equipped.

The transmitter is intended to be used with non-RailCom decoders.

Thank you very much for letting me know.

That's very interesting. I'm sure that it was posted on the Dapol Digest that Gaugemaster DCC27 Decoders would be fitted to the Class 68s. Maybe since then Dapol changed their minds.

Just a guess but it could be that there just weren't enough DCC27 decoders available at the time Dapol wanted them.  Alternative theory is that the price of the TCS was more favourable.

These things happen.  I've had no problems with either make.

Les