At 22 minutes 30 seconds in the video (2 posts earlier) there is a fleeting glimpse of the back of a 15 year old in a maroon blazer.  I can report that the wearer was me!

The next post showing an Austin 7 reminded me that my first car was a 1934 Austin 7 in exactly those colours.  Registration was ED8412.  It's still in existence as far as I know but based in Newcastle on Tyne.

Memories!

Cheers,

Stan

• Like 5

On 23/04/2020 at 18:43, Michael Edge said:

How are you going to inset this then? The MD&HB used a heavy type of tram rail section with the checkrail formed in the head. The moulded chairs will get in the way as far as I can see.

Yes Mike, you are of course correct in describing the type of rail used on the MDHB system.   I am not a permanent way expert but think that the rail, flangeway and 'check rail' was cast as a single head.   Richard Ellis and I spent a considerable time discussing this feature, recognising its importance for the appearance and accuracy of the diorama.   The ultimate decision was mine and reflected my need to compromise in terms of time and cost.   I have chosen to represent the check rail as a cosmetic strip of Plasticard or similar, with the setts in-between, rather than a full-blown continuous metal check rail.  If we had decided on a continuous check rail or some other representation of tram track then yes, moulded chairs would be in the way.   The chairs should not be visible with this compromise method and I will post a picture when we have reached this stage of construction.

Embedded track.jpg

types-of-rail_med.png

Edited by Stephenwolsten
Track images added.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

Yes Mike, you are of course correct in describing the type of rail used on the MDHB system.   I am not a permanent way expert but think that the rail, flangeway and 'check rail' was cast as a single head.   Richard Ellis and I spent a considerable time discussing this feature, recognising its importance for the appearance and accuracy of the diorama.   The ultimate decision was mine and reflected my need to compromise in terms of time and cost.   I have chosen to represent the check rail as a cosmetic strip of Plasticard or similar, with the setts in-between, rather than a full-blown continuous metal check rail.  If we had decided on a continuous check rail or some other representation of tram track then yes, moulded chairs would be in the way.   The chairs should not be visible with this compromise method and I will post a picture when we have reached this stage of construction.

You might find that a lot more difficult than you imagine - and the turned in ends of checkrails and wing rails will be very visible, neither of which existed on MD&HB track.

Incidentally I've got all the bogie mouldings done for your LOR train, send me a pm or email with the address to post them to.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was doing some scanning and thought that this image of Princes Dock may be of interest although it is a couple of hundred yards south of the area modelled.  Looking at the military vehicles in the bottom left hand corner I'm guessing 1940's.  The photo is full of atmosphere, coal fired ferry boats, a Sentinel steam wagon and horse-drawn drays.  Enjoying seeing the progress on your model.

Cheers,

Ray.

Princes Dock Liverpool 1940's a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The next sequence of photos will show the complete process of design, manufacture, construction and painting of the transit shed for the diorama.   The first picture shows enlarged research photographs being used to count the number of brick courses, to estimate dimensions.   These calculations are then used to produce an annotated drawing expressed in terms of  x brick lengths and y brick widths. 

66b9a3d5136b6fbb81341ffa516b5a2a.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 3

Using my brick calculations, Monk's Gate Models converts this information into General Arrangement drawings and then CAD drawings for laser cutting.   This picture shows the manufactured parts for the transit shed.   The front wall had altered brickwork and a sliding door.

transit shed walls model.jpeg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 4

Work in progress on the dock wall and gates.  For the architects , this is one of several gates built in buff sandstone by dock engineer Jesse Hartley, in the classical style of his predecessor, Foster.  They are "square in plan and have pitted rusticated bases, which chamfer to battered ashlar shafts and have gabled caps with acroteria"!

mdhb dock gates model.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 9

The dock boundary wall is a striking feature because of its grand scale, both in length and height, and because of its purpose to inhibit theft and smuggling. It was built over a period of approximately 30 years by different dock engineers. It varies in height and materials along its length of approximately 2.75 km., but is generally around 5.5m high and is a strong linear feature, making a crucial contribution to the local distinctiveness of this part of Liverpool. Its purpose was to control rather than prevent access from the town into the docks, and the monumental gateways with their heavy wooden gates sliding in iron guide rails effectively made the docks into a fortress-like stronghold. The design of the various gate piers demonstrate a fascinating progression from Foster’s early classical style to Jesse Hartley’s whimsical turrets. 

Princes Half-Tide Dock began as a tidal basin but was extensively modernised around 1868, when two passages and a barge lock were installed, allowing small vessels to come and go at a wider range of states of the tide. Prior to the alterations, the dock boundary wall had been extended further north on the landward side, in similar brick between 1841 and 1848 to provide security for the Dock Railway, which was used for the construction of further docks to the north. 

The North Gate to Docks 28-31 Victoria, Princes and Waterloo, the Gate to Victoria and Trafalgar Docks, and the Gate to Clarence Dock and the Gate to Clarence and Clarence Graving Dock are all built by Hartley in buff sandstone in classical style established by Foster. They are square in plan and have pitted rusticated bases, which chamfer to battered ashlar shafts and have gabled caps with acroteria.  I chose to have this style of gate pier modelled as it was more ornate than Foster's design, but more representative of the Princes Dock area than the granite rubble masonry piers with Doric caps found nearby.

• Like 3

On 20/07/2020 at 16:24, Stephenwolsten said:

Superb signwriting and weathering of the sliding door, by Richard Ellis of Monk's Gate Models.   I now know what a lumper is!

thumbnail-1.jpg

That is a brilliant piece of workmanship. Lumpers must be general cargo handling in this case. I believe it is a term used for handling fish in the east coast ports

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

More encouraging progress by Monk's Gate Models on view.   This picture shows the completed boundary wall, police hut and the concrete lamp posts which were a feature of the dock estate.  My 16 June 2019 post shows an actual lamp post.

mdhb lamp models.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
  • Like 11