Possible new commissions?

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

R3sprays also did 37602, the 37/6 are a minefield for detail differences as most are different.

Yes they did do 602 as well as I have got that one too along with 605.

But 602 wasn't a Limited Edition. Just a respray. I know that JDM Models also sell DRS & Europhoenix Class 37s as resprays.

But 602 wasn't a Limited Edition. Just a respray. I know that JDM Models also sell DRS & Europhoenix Class 37s as resprays.

But you can't get 602 anymore, R3sprays obviously did a batch and numbered some 602 and the others 605. Olivias took most of 605 to sell. Surely any reworked and resprayed model is 'Limited Edition'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But you can't get 602 anymore, R3sprays obviously did a batch and numbered some 602 and the others 605. Olivias took most of 605 to sell. Surely any reworked and resprayed model is 'Limited Edition'.

That's true. I also remember that R3Sprays produced a small number of 37611 models in DRS Compass livery. It must of been a small batch because I remember on their website that they were removed after three or four weeks.

I am really happy with my 602 and 605 models from R3Sprays but I would just prefer Bachmann to produce more 37s because they will be cheaper. That's not to say that I'm not happy with R3Sprays work because I am. The locos and coaches that I have bought from them are fantastic.

I've reported this thread as I am sick to the back teeth of blooming pipe dream wish list threads!!!

It's the nature of the beast. A massively RTR orientated forum is bound to be tied in with frothing.   :lazy:

Edited by coachmann

I am delighted to read others would very much like to see the Brush works refurbished 37/6s as commissions as I was only emailing Rails about such a commission last week. I can only suggest anyone else who would buy a few or more 37/6s to email them too!

As for detailed differences, not as many as what tooling Bachmann already have cannot handle for the body/roof. The commission would have to involve new nose ends (wi-pac light clusters) with the relevant circuit board for lighting. All easily possible in light of 37099 nose re-tool being announced. (and the 20/3s).

A quick jot up of the Brush refurbished 37s with wi-pac light clusters includes:

602 & 605 with 'door' noses

606-609 with 'flush & horn' noses

610 & 612 with 'flush' (no horn) noses - caution as 610 previously to most recent F exam had one end with headcode nose

Talking of headcode noses with wi-pac light clusters you quickly are able to produce 611 as well as 218, 259 and 423! Imagine how popular 37423 would be and the livery changes it has gone through since 2007!!

The 'flush & horn' noses also allow 038, 059 & 069 to be produced.

Sorry back to point, though 37423 would be popular, I can miss the other non-/6s which leave the following liveries:

DRS original blue 602, 605-612 (though 610 different ends)
DRS Compass 602, 605-612
DRS New Green-fade 37609
Europhoenix - 37608 & 37611.
Maybe even HNRC Orange for 607 & 612!?

• RMweb Gold

I am delighted to read others would very much like to see the Brush works refurbished 37/6s as commissions as I was only emailing Rails about such a commission last week. I can only suggest anyone else who would buy a few or more 37/6s to email them too!

As for detailed differences, not as many as what tooling Bachmann already have cannot handle for the body/roof. The commission would have to involve new nose ends (wi-pac light clusters) with the relevant circuit board for lighting. All easily possible in light of 37099 nose re-tool being announced. (and the 20/3s).

A quick jot up of the Brush refurbished 37s with wi-pac light clusters includes:

610 & 612 with 'flush' (no horn) noses - caution as 610 previously to most recent F exam had one end with headcode nose

Talking of headcode noses with wi-pac light clusters you quickly are able to produce 611 as well as 218, 259 and 423! Imagine how popular 37423 would be and the livery changes it has gone through since 2007!!

Sorry back to point, though 37423 would be popular, I can miss the other non-/6s which leave the following liveries:

DRS Compass 602, 605-612

DRS New Green-fade 37609

Isn't the cab mounted light also needed which may be problematic? https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/32045307524_a8bcdcfef6_b.jpg (Not my photo)

Roy

Isn't the cab mounted light also needed which may be problematic? https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2193/32045307524_a8bcdcfef6_b.jpg (Not my photo)

Roy

Yes I would say that is fairly critical, sorry for the oversight. But the cab mounted light can be wired into the cab light on the circuit board, thus just the module needs to be tooled along with the nose ends. Bachmann already have the horn-less roof tooling.

• RMweb Premium

DRS Compass 602, 605-612

DRS New Green-fade 37609

I'm glad to see that someone else agrees that their are a lot of potential models for the above Class 37s.

At least six liveries to model on various locos with different noses.

With their been three or four different noses across the above 37s this also opens more opportunities as different running numbers have different noses and have worn different liveries.

423 could be potentially produced in three different liveries for example: DRS Compass, DRS Revised and DRS Basic.

038, 059 and 069 also have three livery opportunities: DRS Blue, DRS Compass and DRS Revised.

601 DRS Compass and possibly Europhoenix or another livery soon?

607 and 612 have worn DRS Blue, DRS Compass and soon to be HNRC Orange no doubt.

609 also has three liveries opportunities: DRS Blue, DRS Compass and DRS Revised.

608 and 611 have worn DRS Blue, DRS Compass and now Europhoenix livery.

When 610 is repainted by Locomotive Services Limited that will be another livery to model and no doubt 607 and 612 will receive HNRC Orange or another livery soon. That will be a further two liveries to model.

I think that the above 37s are a massive opportunity for Bachmann along with the 20/3s that have just been announced.

Although 606 is currently the only 37 left in Compass livery with the flush noses so I would advise anyone who wants the above 37s to email Bachmann or Rails Of Sheffield or both to encourage them to be commissioned/produced as 606 is likely to be taken out of traffic and debranded of it's Compass livery soon to be sold on to another operator.

I know that I would buy as many of the above 37s as I could if they were announced.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

People forget that the thing with the DRS class 37s is not just the WIPAC light clusters, but also the missing light on top of the cab windows. As a result this would probably require a main tooling change to the body that Bachmann use for the various class 37s.

On the 37/4 the detail that changes is on the nose, not the main body, so its unlikely that they would risk damaging the body, which needs the roof front light attaching. Its possible that the light could be done by using the cab lighting feature, which is what you can do on a conversion kit, but Bachmann might want to keep the cab light feature too.

I reckon if it ever gets done that youd need a retool along the lines of the Bachmann 20/3, which could be the testmark for whether the DRS 37s follow. The other bad news is that even with the WIPACs 37423 also needs an ETH cable on the front, and thus stands apart from other DRS 37s with the covered headcode box.

Theres quite a few differences between the two, but that alteration to the main body I think kills the prospect of this being done anything soon, unless theres a deliberate tweak, along the lines of the forthcoming 20/3.

• RMweb Premium

I'm glad to see that someone else agrees that their are a lot of potential models for the above Class 37s.

At least six liveries to model on various locos with different noses.

With their been three or four different noses across the above 37s this also opens more opportunities as different running numbers have different noses and have worn different liveries.

423 could be potentially produced in three different liveries for example: DRS Compass, DRS Revised and DRS Basic.

038, 059 and 069 also have three livery opportunities: DRS Blue, DRS Compass and DRS Revised.

601 DRS Compass and possibly Europhoenix or another livery soon?

607 and 612 have worn DRS Blue, DRS Compass and soon to be HNRC Orange no doubt.

609 also has three liveries opportunities: DRS Blue, DRS Compass and DRS Revised.

608 and 611 have worn DRS Blue, DRS Compass and now Europhoenix livery.

When 610 is repainted by Locomotive Services Limited that will be another livery to model and no doubt 607 and 612 will receive HNRC Orange or another livery soon. That will be a further two liveries to model.

I think that the above 37s are a massive opportunity for Bachmann along with the 20/3s that have just been announced.

Although 606 is currently the only 37 left in Compass livery with the flush noses so I would advise anyone who wants the above 37s to email Bachmann or Rails Of Sheffield or both to encourage them to be commissioned/produced as 606 is likely to be taken out of traffic and debranded of it's Compass livery soon to be sold on to another operator.

I know that I would buy as many of the above 37s as I could if they were announced.

I can't help thinking that continual "wish listing" like this is merely highlighting numerous detail differences in a fairly small fleet of locos, and claiming good sales of models for liveries which the real things don't yet wear (and may never carry) isn't helping the cause. If anything it'll be causing potential manufacturers/commissioners steer clear (although I'm sure they already know whether the project stacks up or not).

I'm afraid that I don't see these as a "massive opportunity for Bachmann".

If they pick the most common combination of detail variants and offer it in a couple of liveries they might cover their costs. Much better for Bachmann to churn out an existing tooling (maybe in a new combination) in a livery which is of widespread interest. I feel many of your suggestions are simply too niche.

Knowing that you will "buy as many of the above 37s as I could" is, with respect, of little value to Bachmann or a model commissioner who has to sell 512 of each one, and 511 more of the ones you choose to buy. Settle on the most common variant in a livery which lasted the longest time and there might be something in it. Otherwise there are likely to be lots left unsold or, as is more likely, the project will never happen.

Sorry to come across in a negative way, but excited typing of ifs, buts, maybes and suppositions don't make for successful businesses.

If I had to offer suggestions to be considered, I would be going for:

A Deltic with the intensity headlight - might be an alteration to the model that cant be undone, but it puts into play 55022, 55019, 55016, 55002, 55009 all in their modern forms. Possible link up with the NRM.

Looking through NRM machines, I would be tempted to suggest:

NER/LNER T3/Q7. As thats certain to get interest from those looking for something different, powerful and magestic in appearance.

LNER J52 retooled to higher standards.

​LNER V2 - yes I know, given that the Dynometer Car came from Rapido and it looks like they are fronting this. But I think the V2 would be a ripe project for development and would be a sure success.

In coaching stock

You could go for elements of the LNWR Royal Train

NER Snowplough is one model I think would be fantastic to get.

I know there are various engines there that mainly stem from Eastern/NER areas. A Caledonian engine might prove popular to be ltd ed from areas that are more general release.

Otherwise your into reliveries and special appearances of some engines that match classes already produced in a general range.  

• RMweb Premium

I can't help thinking that continual "wish listing" like this is merely highlighting numerous detail differences in a fairly small fleet of locos, and claiming good sales of models for liveries which the real things don't yet wear (and may never carry) isn't helping the cause. If anything it'll be causing potential manufacturers/commissioners steer clear (although I'm sure they already know whether the project stacks up or not).

I'm afraid that I don't see these as a "massive opportunity for Bachmann".

If they pick the most common combination of detail variants and offer it in a couple of liveries they might cover their costs. Much better for Bachmann to churn out an existing tooling (maybe in a new combination) in a livery which is of widespread interest. I feel many of your suggestions are simply too niche.

Knowing that you will "buy as many of the above 37s as I could" is, with respect, of little value to Bachmann or a model commissioner who has to sell 512 of each one, and 511 more of the ones you choose to buy. Settle on the most common variant in a livery which lasted the longest time and there might be something in it. Otherwise there are likely to be lots left unsold or, as is more likely, the project will never happen.

Sorry to come across in a negative way, but excited typing of ifs, buts, maybes and suppositions don't make for successful businesses.

Personally I'm sure that if Bachmann could produce more liveries on a model they would.

If Bachmann were upgrading the tooling to enable them to produce the above locos then surely the variety of liveries and nose ends allow Bachmann to gain more profit to cover the costs to upgrade the tooling. Take the Class 66 yes the tooling for some of them is slightly different depending on the individual loco but they have produced dozens of 66s in different liveries now.

I know that the above 37s are only 20 locos or so, so the options are limited regarding the number of locos that can be produced but with six liveries to model currently and with more to follow no doubt their must be potential to model the above 37s.

Considering that Bachmann have just announced 20/3s in just three liveries (DRS Blue, DRS Compass and HNRC Orange) and that requires the tooling to be upgraded then surely that validates the opportunity to upgrade tooling to model six liveries and soon to be more.

Personally I'm sure that if Bachmann could produce more liveries on a model they would.

If Bachmann were upgrading the tooling to enable them to produce the above locos then surely the variety of liveries and nose ends allow Bachmann to gain more profit to cover the costs to upgrade the tooling. Take the Class 66 yes the tooling for some of them is slightly different depending on the individual loco but they have produced dozens of 66s in different liveries now.

I know that the above 37s are only 20 locos or so, so the options are limited regarding the number of locos that can be produced but with six liveries to model currently and with more to follow no doubt their must be potential to model the above 37s.

Considering that Bachmann have just announced 20/3s in just three liveries (DRS Blue, DRS Compass and HNRC Orange) and that requires the tooling to be upgraded then surely that validates the opportunity to upgrade tooling to model six liveries and soon to be more.

It might, but the problem is that these exist still within a narrow time frame within the last 10 years or so. Bachmann needs to be able to release models that cater for the class over the last 50 and that's partly why you see things such as class 37 or class 47 alternate and go from either a year of BR Green/Blue to a year of Coal, Intercity/Res or more recent like EWS, Colas, DRS, etc.

So while you might notice an engine that is likely to sell, the tooling choices and alternations needed make it unlikely overall. While a retool like the 20/3 might be a way Bachmann might go for it, I don't know if theres enough for them to do it with as you would need to alter the body for the top light. Its possible they might as the number of classes left to do goes down and if the 20/3 sells.

Your problem isn't helped that there are other 'standard' class 37s running in the same liveries and don't need the body upgrade. Bachmann seeing that prices are rising have gone for all the popular ones that could be done recently in an effort to draw people in for a sale. That too makes the 37/6 even less likely as these models will partly satisfy the demand from the market.

How about 37 116 in its Stratford livery of big numbers and yellow extended over the bonnet top and round the windows. Or 37358 in its blue livery with freightliner brandings named p&o containers. Both circa 1988 neither ever done by Lima, but both unique and in the case of 37116 very eye catching. Not modern I know but certainly of interest

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It might, but the problem is that these exist still within a narrow time frame within the last 10 years or so. Bachmann needs to be able to release models that cater for the class over the last 50 and that's partly why you see things such as class 37 or class 47 alternate and go from either a year of BR Green/Blue to a year of Coal, Intercity/Res or more recent like EWS, Colas, DRS, etc.

So while you might notice an engine that is likely to sell, the tooling choices and alternations needed make it unlikely overall. While a retool like the 20/3 might be a way Bachmann might go for it, I don't know if theres enough for them to do it with as you would need to alter the body for the top light. Its possible they might as the number of classes left to do goes down and if the 20/3 sells.

Your problem isn't helped that there are other 'standard' class 37s running in the same liveries and don't need the body upgrade. Bachmann seeing that prices are rising have gone for all the popular ones that could be done recently in an effort to draw people in for a sale. That too makes the 37/6 even less likely as these models will partly satisfy the demand from the market.

I see what you mean.

If their were more 37s with noses and lights like the above their would probably be a higher chance of Bachmann producing them sooner.

I suppose that's why the 20/3s have just been announced because were only 15 of them and their are now currently 10 of them.

Whereas their are a few hundred Class 66s so their is a lot of scope to model them.

Guest eddie reffin

I think thats partly why 37401 has been a success. Its relatively easy to a) renumber or b) update to current state.

I have 5 of then now, all changed to a certain degree. Its much easier to add say a black head code box than try and patch paint a black one yellow to get a good match. Adding an orange cantrail stripe is certainly easier than trying to remove one- goodness, I know having tried with 47436! 

Bachmann, like all the manufacturers, are out to make money. What may seem like a simple retool may cost many thousands. As has been mentioned, why put themselves at financial risk for a few "unique" features when a much bigger return can be made on a standard tooling. There are probably enough DRS locos that are in near enough standard condition to keep them going for a while yet.

Safer bets for Bachmann are locos like 37401 and the forthcoming 47444 which are excellent base models for personalising to suit your own needs. They don't even carry the "limited edition" price tag!

Cheers

Eddie

May I clarify some points.

- I was strictly suggesting the 37/6 is considered as an exclusive/limited edition/commission for Rails Exclusive.

- Yes the top-light might be considered to require a new roof tooling, this would then be an additional slide created along with the nose ends. Not out of the way for a commissioner to take on. And roof's for the 37 have previously been re-tooled for Rail Exclusives (not to be confused with Rails Exclusive). This demonstrates is it more than possible for a commissioner to have Bachmann re-tool a 37 and even DRS liveries were offered back in 2010 through such a successful initiative. 

Rail Exclusives: models variously utilise new tooling commissioned by RAIL EXCLUSIVE including the revised bodysides, flush-fronted nose ends and riveted construction roof

- Utterly agree the Brush works refurbished 37/6s are niche, yet: 1. This is why it appeals as an exclusive/limited edition/commission. 2. Many other 'niche' locomotives (steam, diesel and electric) have been brought to market by commissioner's and 3. Some of these comissions have had less of a time on a network/livery than the 37/6s.

- I was not suggesting all numbers and tooling alterations needed to be offered, that would be business suicide. I was pointing to the potential, for then a commissioner to select a most suitable locomotive tooling assembly to choose.

- Within the 'modern' modelling era. Direct Rail Services livery is extremely popular with recent main range releases from Bachmann, ViTrains and Dapol selling very quickly.

- The risk of a 37/6 to the main range in being niche is countered by a commission of 1000-2000 in different liveries which the market could take and has proven to with other DRS releases.

- I also totally agree that the 20/3 is clearly a test case for Bachmann in the main range, so is the re-tooling of 37099 to similar extent. Thus as above the risk is lessened by being an exclusive/limited edition commission by Rails Exclusive who seem to be well aware of the modern locomotive market.

- It was never my intention to make the thread a wishlist of every single ex-Brush works 37 for DRS, only to demonstrate the potential of chosen one or two possible tenders to consider.

Thus I shall start a specific debate, by choosing out of the Brush works refurbished 37s could be chosen to commission Bachmann to re-tool.

610 & 612 with 'flush' (no horn) noses

DRS Compass 602, 605-612
DRS New Green-fade 37609

Clearly it would be wise to choose from 606-609 to best maximise a revised roof tooling and new nose ends. The variation between these is minimal and inline with similar compromises taken for any modern 37/4 in DRS livery.

Say if 37608 is chosen, this then see all DRS as well as Europhoenix liveries. That is 3 liveries which could easily justify 750 pieces each and enough to justify a re-tooling over a 2000 model run. (Naturally the tooling for 37608 allows 606-609 and thus another livery or two over a 2000 commission run).

This gives potentially with one re-tooling:

DRS Compass twin pack of 37607 and 609 (2 x 500)

Europhoenix 37608 (500)

Original DRS 37606 (500)

None of the numbers clash, thus different modern eras can be modeled. Tooling would allow in the future HNRC or DRS Green-fade liveries.

- 2000 is based on known previous commission numbers by other commissioners. eg. London Transport Museum or Rail Exclusives.

- Re-tooling (pre-Brexit) a logical estimation would be 20-35 k including R&D.

- A model retailing around £160 based on todays RRP seems perfectly acceptable in todays market when looking at other current exclusives.

The whole point of limited editions/commissions is to bring to market the niche locomotive or rolling stock. Certainly I would argue the ex-brush 37 works fits that.

I look forward to further, specific discussion on a reality of a commission rather than every single model.

• RMweb Premium

May I clarify some points.

- I was strictly suggesting the 37/6 is considered as an exclusive/limited edition/commission for Rails Exclusive.

- Yes the top-light might be considered to require a new roof tooling, this would then be an additional slide created along with the nose ends. Not out of the way for a commissioner to take on. And roof's for the 37 have previously been re-tooled for Rail Exclusives (not to be confused with Rails Exclusive). This demonstrates is it more than possible for a commissioner to have Bachmann re-tool a 37 and even DRS liveries were offered back in 2010 through such a successful initiative. 

- Utterly agree the Brush works refurbished 37/6s are niche, yet: 1. This is why it appeals as an exclusive/limited edition/commission. 2. Many other 'niche' locomotives (steam, diesel and electric) have been brought to market by commissioner's and 3. Some of these comissions have had less of a time on a network/livery than the 37/6s.

- I was not suggesting all numbers and tooling alterations needed to be offered, that would be business suicide. I was pointing to the potential, for then a commissioner to select a most suitable locomotive tooling assembly to choose.

- Within the 'modern' modelling era. Direct Rail Services livery is extremely popular with recent main range releases from Bachmann, ViTrains and Dapol selling very quickly.

- The risk of a 37/6 to the main range in being niche is countered by a commission of 1000-2000 in different liveries which the market could take and has proven to with other DRS releases.

- I also totally agree that the 20/3 is clearly a test case for Bachmann in the main range, so is the re-tooling of 37099 to similar extent. Thus as above the risk is lessened by being an exclusive/limited edition commission by Rails Exclusive who seem to be well aware of the modern locomotive market.

- It was never my intention to make the thread a wishlist of every single ex-Brush works 37 for DRS, only to demonstrate the potential of chosen one or two possible tenders to consider.

Thus I shall start a specific debate, by choosing out of the Brush works refurbished 37s could be chosen to commission Bachmann to re-tool.

Clearly it would be wise to choose from 606-609 to best maximise a revised roof tooling and new nose ends. The variation between these is minimal and inline with similar compromises taken for any modern 37/4 in DRS livery.

Say if 37608 is chosen, this then see all DRS as well as Europhoenix liveries. That is 3 liveries which could easily justify 750 pieces each and enough to justify a re-tooling over a 2000 model run. (Naturally the tooling for 37608 allows 606-609 and thus another livery or two over a 2000 commission run).

This gives potentially with one re-tooling:

DRS Compass twin pack of 37607 and 609 (2 x 500)

Europhoenix 37608 (500)

Original DRS 37606 (500)

None of the numbers clash, thus different modern eras can be modeled. Tooling would allow in the future HNRC or DRS Green-fade liveries.

- 2000 is based on known previous commission numbers by other commissioners. eg. London Transport Museum or Rail Exclusives.

- Re-tooling (pre-Brexit) a logical estimation would be 20-35 k including R&D.

- A model retailing around £160 based on todays RRP seems perfectly acceptable in todays market when looking at other current exclusives.

The whole point of limited editions/commissions is to bring to market the niche locomotive or rolling stock. Certainly I would argue the ex-brush 37 works fits that.

I look forward to further, specific discussion on a reality of a commission rather than every single model.

I completely agree.

I was also talking about the 37s as a whole but I am aware that not all of them would be produced. I am however aware that it would be viable to produce a handful in different liveries as mentioned in the above post.

These suggestions for running numbers and liveries seem brilliant because this would cater for three of the main liveries within four models. These being: DRS Blue, DRS Compass and Europhoenix.

Four models could offer four different running numbers and three different liveries.

This gives customers a lot of scope to buy the livery/ies that they like the most. It also adds the option to buy more than one loco to renumber to another loco.

The only drawback here is that it the above models wouldn't cover 423 in DRS Basic livery and 611 in Europhoenix livery with the headcode noses.

If I'm really honest I'm sure that all of the above 37s would sell well as Limited Editions and probably even in the main range alike what the 20/3s will be in.

DRS locos both past and present are hugely popular and so are the different liveries that DRS repaint/vinyl their locos in.

I certainly think that a retailer or Bachmann alone if they chose to should produce some of the above 37s. Surely the 20/3s and above 37s are both at the same level of high popularity.

Bachmann must think that the 20/3 will be popular enough because three models in three different liveries have been announced in their main range and not as Limited Editions or Exclusives.

The polls also on RMWeb have suggested that the 20/3s are very popular from what I have heard so this must have supported Bachmann's decision to announce them in the main range.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

How about 37 116 in its Stratford livery of big numbers and yellow extended over the bonnet top and round the windows. Or 37358 in its blue livery with freightliner brandings named p&o containers. Both circa 1988 neither ever done by Lima, but both unique and in the case of 37116 very eye catching. Not modern I know but certainly of interest

YES I do want that class 37

post-1297-0-57891400-1493068211.jpg

post-1297-0-39783400-1493068230_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

How about a meridian class 222 or the network rail 150

The Meridian would be an excellent example for a limited edition, especially with the class being linked to Sheffield. Youd have Midland Mainline, Hull Trains and East Midlands all to go for with more in the future.

This could be done by having a new tooled body top, but would tie in brilliantly if Bachmann did make the Voyager/Meridian DCC ready/fitted as part of the upgrade. Personally, I don't know why it hasn't been done before now.