Third-Rail EMU Photos

• RMweb Premium

377111.jpg.f141f29018aa1cd68fe7cfce3aa09e3b.jpg

Sporting its special NHS livery, 377111 heads away from Pulborough with the 1B36 15:04 Horsham - Bognor on 21st December.

377452.jpg.1d6f2c42820e0d128ea9320cb1d56052.jpg

On a dull New Year's Eve, 377452 heads 377151 north from Pulborough with the 1C35 Bognor - London Bridge.

Happy New Year to all, and hopefully we'll see lots more lovely pictures in 2022.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The North London Line was a real education at that period. The whole railway was utterly run-down, and the passengers had a generally ground-down look about them too. As a lad from a small country town, the whole thing was a total eye-opener to me, and TBH I was amazed by the proportion of non-white passengers, and how poor most of them looked. When you travel on it now (well, before Covid) it’s got a generally vibrant and buzzy feel, and while there are still some pretty downbeat bits of North London things just aren’t drab, worn out, and tired in the way that the early 70s excelled at.

I agree with all of that but would add that there is down side now in that there's a lot more overgrown vegetation and graffiti in the area than there was in 1970, which I find a little depressing (for want of a better word).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, simon b said:

Which unit type would this be? 6PAN?

6-Pul.  You can't see the Pullman car but the plain half-drop windows in the motor coach were almost unique to that type (all others except the three 6-City units had top sliders).  Units 3001 - 3020 were 6-Pul, 3021 - 3037 were 6-Pan with a basic pantry for catering which was seldom actually used.  3041-3 were the 6-Cit (or City) units intended for business-time trips between Brighton and London and which featured more first class than all other units - all trailers were first class as was the Pullman car leaving only the driving motors for second class passengers.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

6-Pul.  You can't see the Pullman car but the plain half-drop windows in the motor coach were almost unique to that type (all others except the three 6-City units had top sliders).  Units 3001 - 3020 were 6-Pul, 3021 - 3037 were 6-Pan with a basic pantry for catering which was seldom actually used.  3041-3 were the 6-Cit (or City) units intended for business-time trips between Brighton and London and which featured more first class than all other units - all trailers were first class as was the Pullman car leaving only the driving motors for second class passengers.  

Thanks for that, those units seem harder to find photos of. It's a shame they didn't hang around a little longer.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, simon b said:

Thanks for that, those units seem harder to find photos of. It's a shame they didn't hang around a little longer.

A selection of images is available at www.bloodandcustard.com among other sources.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simon b said:

Quite a few photos of these units on Robert Carroll's web-site - scroll down to the bottom of this page.  These units were around for over 30 years so there must be quite a few photos taken. 

Edited by RFS
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, simon b said:

Some parts of 6 PUL and 6 PAN units were combined and hung around a little longer on the Eastern Section as 6 COR units. They were covering shortages but proved unpopular, to say the least.

I saw and rode on 6 PUL units as a child, but as that was before I ever had a camera, I have no photos to offer. I saw 6 PANs as well, but never actually rode in one. I also saw the 5 BEL units on most days, but never rode in those either.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A trio (the third just visible on the left) of unidentified class 377s passing just south of Pulborough along the flood plain embankment. 28th January 2022.

696859264_377Passing.jpg.66e9a11ea9ae7066dba5d1325bac4fbe.jpg

The right-hand of the units (heading southbound) can be seen crossing the river Arun out of the station. At this point the river marks the boundary of South Downs National Park. The very visible front light tells us this is one of the recently refurbished sets. Those trees make it look very cold!

377.jpg.9027aac6320db5a33d07ddfaa4e7adfa.jpg

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Southof1E top tmd said:

i wander how many years class 455s have worked the Chessington branch? Heres 5717 and 5722 at Chessington South with a late afternoon service to Waterloo on February 3rd 2022

cheers

NR

0302225717n5722cs.JPG

Iirc the first /8s went into service on the SWD in March 1983 so it's 39 years give or take a few weeks.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Southof1E top tmd said:

i wander how many years class 455s have worked the Chessington branch? Heres 5717 and 5722 at Chessington South with a late afternoon service to Waterloo on February 3rd 2022

cheers

NR

0302225717n5722cs.JPG

I used to drive them on the SW when they were new. Draughty awful things, brakes were a problem.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

...and yesterday:

Southern Class 313/2 313210 Chichester 4/3/22

Still going, just the Brighton Coastways are all turning back at Chichester since Monday and  UFN for no readily apparent reason.  

West of Chichester now requires reliance on the hourly Southsea stopper (another 313 and 'all sheds' to Southsea) or the down London services which, to be honest, hasn't gone well so far...

No date yet for the 313's retirement, anywhere between this September and late 2024 has been mooted!!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Reading elsewhere, there are strong suggestions that the return of the two 377/1s and 23 377/5s on loan to SE, along at least some, if not all of the 387/1s from GN (replaced by 379s), will see the end of all of the 455s and 313s (although the 455, as you say, are scheduled to be dumped at the May timetable). Other timetable changes may release more stock, such as potentially truncating the MK services.

• Informative/Useful 1