DEMU Showcase 2010

PeteScR

Guest jim s-w

James

If your P4 stuff is DCC you can have a trundle if you like. The layout is a work in progress too so it should fit right in!

Cheers

Jim

Jim - thanks that's a very kind offer! However the Sentinel is a runner but not DCC, and the Pacer is not wired up yet - though if it's presentable I might bring it down for a few snaps! Circa 2009 Northern livery a little out of place at New Street! hehe.

Well, as well and JSW and P4 New Street, there will be other 4mm finescale elements at DEMU.

The Scalefour Society stand will be at Showcase and obviously with a D&E theme. A wide range of R-T-R conversions and some kits running on P4 wheels will be shown together with an example from the set of Bachmann Mk1 coaches that run without any compensation or springing at all.

On both days there will be a live demonstration (by Terry Bendall) of fitting P4 wheels to a diesel loco and converting a Bachmann VAA van to P4. On Saturday at 11.00am and 3.00pm a Heljan Class 47 will be done, followed by the van and on Sunday at 11.00am and 2.30pm a Bachmann Class 66 and a VAA again. The loco conversion will involve using Branchlines 14m coach wheels rather than Ultrascale wheels but the method of conversion is very similar and can be done in about 30 minutes.

All those interested in modelling the D&E scene in P4 will be very welcome to come along and talk and ask questions about any aspect of this branch of the hobby.

I can't make it personally - family commitments in Edinburgh - but I wish you all well, and have a fascinating and successful show.

Flymo

Cant believe this time tomorrow I will be heading for the set-up for Showcase, where has the year gone ?

Dont forget we will also have Mr York and the RMWeb stand as our guests in the demo room as last year.

As well as a broad selection of layouts and traders its also worth pointing out;

As mentioned, the S4 Society will be in D&E mode for the weekend and doing wheel-set conversion demos, so if you were pondering P4, now's the chance to chat with the experts and see how its done.

Colin Craig will be demonstrating his track components and his great range of parts for the serious modeller.

Roger Manton, will be there to discuss building, painting and weathering 7mm locos. Roger does a lot of work for Pete Waterman.

Bryn Davies will be demonstrating 2mm Fine Scale kit building in the main hall, a must for 2mm modellers who are considering kit building.

Alan Monk will be hosting our DCC Clinic this year in the demo room so if you have any questions or need him to help out with decoder settings etc, bring it along and he will help you out. He will have all his kit and a test track.

Martin McDermott (Pugsley) will be in the demo room also, and demonstrating his techniques on weathering, and expanding on the excellent articles he has had published recently in DEMU publication "Update"

Jim Smith-Wright will have a 22ft section of Birmingham New Street on show to demonstrate progress made so far. A great chance to see it in the flesh as opposed to on the web.

Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol are back again as our guests and I know they look forward to this show because in their words "it attracts serious modellers"

The DEMU Zone is back to discuss all things DEMU, and dont forget, if you join at the show you can have your entry fee refunded !.

Dont forget to pick up a Showguide (£1) which includes a free prize draw ticket. Once again we have an excellent line up of prizes including a Model Rail Magazine subscription, £150 Voucher to spend with Hornby, Bachmann DMU's, Books, Decoders and much more. All winners will have prizes despatched to them so you dont need to be at the draw on Sunday. Extra tickets (£1) can be purchased on the door at any time.

Bretby Conference Centre has free parking and full catering facilities.

We may not be the biggest show, or have major sponsorship, but we try and make sure the experience inspires our visitors and drives them to try out something new or improve the skills they really have. It is organised by modellers for modellers.

Hope you can get along to visit us at the weekend.

Cheers

Pete Degnan

DEMU Showcase Exhibition Manager

www.demu.org.uk/showcase.htm

Really looking forward to coming down to this on Saturday - meet a few familiar faces and say hello to some more! I've been quite specific in my pre-show shopping list so I don't come away with a load of new locos instead of all the little details I really need! :)

• RMweb Premium

Dont forget we will also have Mr York and the RMWeb stand as our guests in the demo room as last year.

Can't seem to get away from that Mr York at the moment, pops up at all the best shows. Don't worry Andy, i'll still have my hammer with me. :P

Joking aside, it is a good show and one that even a committed steam modeller can enjoy and spend enough money to annoy the other half...

Good to see the major manufacturers attending and supporting too. All eyes appear to be on Dapol's surprise though.

• RMweb Premium

As a committed pre grouping steam man, I can agree with the previous comments about enjoying the show. I went as a visitor 2 years ago and last year managed to blag my way in without paying by manning the EM Society stand, along with past chairman Bob Blood. I am delighted to be recreating that teaming again this weekend. We might be limited to "old time" D & E stuff for the display stand but I hope a Met electric and an LMS jackshaft drive diesel shunter just about qualify us! Bob also has some interesting bits including some models probably as old as I am (which is a lot!).

I might even dig out another of the Judith Edge kits to have a play with on the stand.

Looking forward to the weekend very much.

• RMweb Premium

I've been burning the midnight oil again before an exhibition (how does this always happen?). This time i've been working on the wagon / carriage works building for Diesels in the Duchy. This was first put together by Mr Banks for the layout's first outing at Stafford. Time constraints meant that the roof and rear wall were modelling shortcuts. I agreed to finish these off and have:

1. replaced the mdf rear wall with a full relief plastic one containing all the window openings

2. strengthened the existing gable ends which had started to warp

3. replaced the roof and tiled it with laser cut tiles from York Model Makers, and included the boarded over steam vents

4. added guttering and down pipes

Doesn't sound much when written down but it's taken about 30 hours of evenings to do!

Just needs a few touches of paint (and 30 windows putting back in) and we'll be ready for Saturday.

• RMweb Premium

I've been burning the midnight oil again before an exhibition (how does this always happen?). This time i've been working on the wagon / carriage works building for Diesels in the Duchy. This was first put together by Mr Banks for the layout's first outing at Stafford. Time constraints meant that the roof and rear wall were modelling shortcuts. I agreed to finish these off and have:

1. replaced the mdf rear wall with a full relief plastic one containing all the window openings

2. strengthened the existing gable ends which had started to warp

3. replaced the roof and tiled it with laser cut tiles from York Model Makers, and included the boarded over steam vents

4. added guttering and down pipes

Doesn't sound much when written down but it's taken about 30 hours of evenings to do!

Just needs a few touches of paint (and 30 windows putting back in) and we'll be ready for Saturday.

What, no washing line of trees this time? :P

• RMweb Premium

What, no washing line of trees this time? :P

Could be, wait and see, i've run out of the last batch....

Need a new bottle of Mekpak though (don't ask)

Don't forget to bring John on Saturday.

I had a great time at the show today! There was so much to look at and friendly operators welcoming you to talk with them. Hilight for me was seeing New Street again! I was also impressed with Aithrey Park and really captured by Diesels in the Duchy.

It was nice to say hello to some familiar faces (Andy and Pugsley) and meet some new ones (Shedmaster and 43179).

I also joined DEMU as well, and bought a few 37 parts... However talking with Martin has got me hankering after another 33! I'm going to have to sell something I think!

I've got some photos I'll upload after my little girl is in bed :)

I hope to be able to bring some more layout snaps back tomorrow but for now here's a brief interlude:

Sunlight breaks through the stormy skies on Hendre Lane

Hendre_Lane.jpg

Early morning on Bawdsey

Bawdsey.jpg

So many good angles to look at on Diesels in the Duchy

Duchy1.jpg

Duchy2.jpg

Duchy3.jpg

Duchy4.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Had a fantastic day at the show.

The new venue is far superior to the previous one.

Nice bright and spacious hall and parking was far better.

Great selection of layouts and to cap it all found 2 Bachmann 37's on the trade stands that I have been after for ages.

Great layouts.

Good selection of traders.

Great venue.

Back next year.

Well done to all involved. biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

I hope to be able to bring some more layout snaps back tomorrow but for now here's a brief interlude:

Sunlight breaks through the stormy skies on Hendre Lane

post-1-127636520295_thumb.jpg

Early morning on Bawdsey

post-1-127636511335_thumb.jpg

So many good angles to look at on Diesels in the Duchy

post-1-127636513365_thumb.jpg

post-1-12763651517_thumb.jpg

post-1-127636517214_thumb.jpg

post-1-127636519191_thumb.jpg

You didn't find any kettles here then? ;)

Had a great time today - I haven't spent 5 hours at an exhibition since I don't know when... met up with some great folks... highlight for me was New Street, I went back 3 or 4 times - each occasion was in utter wonderment :blink: - kind of reminds me of that in line in that Kevin Costner film - 'field of dreams' - "Build it and they will come" :) - super stuff :)

I uploaded these earlier this evening but have only just got around to putting them together in a post!

New Street

gallery_6671_16_350248.jpg

gallery_6671_16_236231.jpg

gallery_6671_16_720735.jpg

gallery_6671_16_1039506.jpg

gallery_6671_16_487838.jpg

gallery_6671_16_422300.jpg

gallery_6671_16_1230329.jpg

gallery_6671_16_668756.jpg

gallery_6671_16_615317.jpg

gallery_6671_16_406121.jpg

gallery_6671_16_282746.jpg

gallery_6671_16_431630.jpg

gallery_6671_16_635919.jpg

Portchullin

gallery_6671_16_1127294.jpg

gallery_6671_16_945762.jpg

Scale 7 layout

gallery_6671_16_327260.jpg

gallery_6671_16_265903.jpg

gallery_6671_16_668650.jpg

gallery_6671_16_319147.jpg

gallery_6671_16_1190635.jpg

Harton

gallery_6671_16_202580.jpg

gallery_6671_16_239193.jpg

gallery_6671_16_693912.jpg

gallery_6671_16_223790.jpg

gallery_6671_16_1080905.jpg

gallery_6671_16_347888.jpg

gallery_6671_16_788126.jpg

gallery_6671_16_934537.jpg

Bawdsey

gallery_6671_16_424207.jpg

gallery_6671_16_388584.jpg

gallery_6671_16_533222.jpg

gallery_6671_16_277999.jpg

gallery_6671_16_230776.jpg

gallery_6671_16_478495.jpg

gallery_6671_16_389236.jpg

Diesels in the Duchy

gallery_6671_16_793486.jpg

gallery_6671_16_730885.jpg

gallery_6671_16_397397.jpg

gallery_6671_16_833806.jpg

gallery_6671_16_84265.jpg

gallery_6671_16_511275.jpg

gallery_6671_16_550365.jpg

gallery_6671_16_725609.jpg

gallery_6671_16_471409.jpg

gallery_6671_16_576635.jpg

Aithrey Park

gallery_6671_16_171393.jpg

gallery_6671_16_754589.jpg

gallery_6671_16_177376.jpg

EM layout

gallery_6671_16_428753.jpg

gallery_6671_16_855203.jpg

gallery_6671_16_691617.jpg

gallery_6671_16_342911.jpg

Hendre Lane

gallery_6671_16_178725.jpg

DEMU 37s!

Pugsley's 7mm, 43179s lovely 4mm and Mike W's 2mm

gallery_6671_16_96275.jpg

Restrained buying!

DEMU membership, Extreme Etching bits for a Class 37, Replica high intensity lights and some knicker elastic from 43179 :) Thanks!

gallery_6671_16_1113183.jpg

• RMweb Gold

had a good afternoon at the show, nice to meet jim s-w amongst others, you may well have seen me there, i was the bloke pushing around the only pram in the venue with 2 very well behaved little boys in tow

dominic (6 yrs old) recognised new street by virtue of the metal cut out horse on the platform end, we were in birmingham last week and he spotted the real thing so recognised the model one straight away!

his favorite layout, out of all the highly detailed, fantasticaly presented, lifelike models on show.......the demonstration oval on CJM models stand with a national power 59 going round and round with a rake of wagons!!

well myself and thy gf popped along today, mainly for me to sort some business stuff out for Melton Model Works. Bumped into Andy Y, Dagworth(andy),a nd a few others secured a deal with A1 Models and had a generally nice time!

Got talkin to Simon on the Hornby stand, well that eventually ended up with us talking about 100e ford anglias and the dorset steam fair, where i might be holding the Hornby fort while he goes down to cornwall, if i remember!

All in all a very good show, well done to those involved

and andy, i might wear that shirt more often as its easily recognisable:P

martin

My Post match analysis;

Pre match routine ok with a good drive only taking about 2.5 hours.

Found it hard to get going due to the que at the door.

Good play from the DEMU members stand in midfield, they worked hard all game, real midfield dynamos!

Good attacking play from Diesels in the Duchy and oulton TMD.

First time I've seen Airthrey Park play and very impressed with the performance.

Staunch defending from the two big center half's Little Severn wharf and, Victoria park.

Good all round performances from the likes of Abbey road, Harton gill and Bee Lane.

My Man of the Match is a toss between St Minions and Hendre Lane. Both only small but with bags of energy!

One for the future is going to Birmingham New St, needs a few games but got real star potential.

An emphatic victory and well played everyone involved.

(if only I could say the same about our national teams performance!)

• RMweb Gold

A big thank you to James for those stunning hi-res photos.

Agreed - Well done James - Really great shots...almost had the impression I was there to see it - looks like a great show - Pete

Sadly due to a last minute hitch I wasn't able to get down to Showcase today, looks like I've missed some great layouts such as 'Diesels in the Duchy' and the embrionic New Street :(. I'm not sure the trip to a local model shop was enough compensation....

Well done to the DEMU team for another great show.

Colin

Archived