Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Gold

I'm highly impressed with that coach.

Ian.

Tks it really wasn't that diffcult.  I rubbed/polished the sides a bit with T-Cut and washed off.  Then applied black ink as per Barry O of this parish, wiped it off a bit.  The roof was spayed Railmatch roof dirt (from a can as I can't seem to get roof dirt to flow on my airbrush).  Then some frame dirt underneath and on the ends.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I don't have some of the mental health issues described in this topic, I had particular personal reasons to undertake my latest projects (Greenfields Jubilee Harriers) as part of my Horniman Park v2.0 layout plan http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88960-horniman-park-v20/

One of my old schoolmates competed at a high level in athletics, up to the point when he was selected to represent England in the shot put at the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland.

In any case I was also interested in watching track and field athletics as well. Unfortunately he pulled out due to injury beforehand ... I imagine his parents, many of his old schoolmates (including me) and friends were rooting for him to do well in NZ.

I've approached it not only from the modelling point of view but also re-discovered and exploited in more than one way my old stash of athletics programmes in the process via my Blogger profile. It's been a great process for me and I hope you have the skills to recreate particularly emotional moments in your lives.

Here's a conundrum - Sunday I built a kit - it had sat around for a year waiting for me to pluck up confidence - this is my leisure time.

Fast forward to Wednesday: I am working, I am writing a package to send data from one network to another network via a secure Gateway.  Getting this wrong has implications, if I can't do my job then no job, do I fret, make excuses and hope the code writes itself, no I get stuck in and it it doesn't work first time, i analyse, work out what was wrong and fix it..  I have ideas for designing bits of software, I start with the end in mind and I develop a solution that delivers that vision, i do this over and over receiving plaudits.

Why do I have no problem visioning and delivering with work where it matters yet in my own leisure time I cannot make a trainset into a model railway?  It seems ridiculous when i look at it this way.

• RMweb Premium

Today I had a walk in the sun to explore the remains of the 3ft gauge Eastwell ironstone mine system on the top of scarp slope of the Vale of Belvoir in Leics. Well, not much remains but a few buildings do, not previously documented, and curiosity satisfied. I'll post photos in another time and place.

My point is...a visit and walkabout to research an area or item of interest can be an enjoyable and relaxing activity, even if you don't directly use the information gathered. It's available for use in thinking creatively about future projects. Railway modelling is an example of the interaction between creativity and technique in your own space.

Maybe one of the blocks that some contributors to this thread have is that they haven't [yet] been able to create the physical, time and emotional space for creative thinking in their busy lives. I had a very busy life for many years so I completely get this, you don't do much modelling when you're running your own business and doing 80+ hours a week, with multiple family and other expectations in your 20-50's.

The best thing I did 5 years ago was invest a few $k in converting half a double garage into a good quality working environment/home brewery. There is never enough time but I have the creative space. Cheers!

Dava

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Here's a conundrum - Sunday I built a kit - it had sat around for a year waiting for me to pluck up confidence - this is my leisure time.

Fast forward to Wednesday: I am working, I am writing a package to send data from one network to another network via a secure Gateway.  Getting this wrong has implications, if I can't do my job then no job, do I fret, make excuses and hope the code writes itself, no I get stuck in and it it doesn't work first time, i analyse, work out what was wrong and fix it..  I have ideas for designing bits of software, I start with the end in mind and I develop a solution that delivers that vision, i do this over and over receiving plaudits.

Why do I have no problem visioning and delivering with work where it matters yet in my own leisure time I cannot make a trainset into a model railway?  It seems ridiculous when i look at it this way.

It probably is ridiculous when you look at it that way, but there are other ways of looking at it and perhaps you are not comparing like for like.  Some people (I am not one but possibly you might be) work best under pressure; it focusses their methodology and eliminates distractions.  The job has to be done and they roll up their sleeves and get stuck in.  But when it comes to a hobby, in a domestic situation where there are no targets to meet and no penalty for failure, they are fazed; focus is lost and distractions allowed full rein, to the detriment of results.

No point in beating yourself up about it, Woods, it's the sort of person you are and has made you successful at what you do for a living, the result of which is that you can afford to buy trains, but maybe a rethink of how you view your leisure time (is it a rest to improve your productivity at work, or perhaps you view it as 'down time', which has negative connotations, or is it something else that only you can define?) will help to establish a better balance between your approach to serious work and your (equally serious and important in my view but not necessarily in yours) approach to your leisure activity.  A leisure activity should, in a perfect world, be at least as rewarding and satisfying as your career, and arguably should give you more straight up pleasure.

And it is a balance. as most things are, a compromise in a less than perfect situation.  Only you yourself can establish control over it, and even that is never going to achieve an ideal result.  I went through a similar cycle of failed layouts back in the day, and found that I achieved better results when I made a conscious effort to limit the scope of the layout to something much less than I mistakenly thought I could achieve; less is more sometimes.  Simplicity of construction, wiring, and track plans, so that a layout can be made operational and completed to a reasonable degree (no layout is ever complete, it doesn't work like that) in a time frame that allows me to maintain a momentum of commitment and enthusiasm for the project has yielded the best results in my case; keep it simple and straightforward, have a solid vision and idea of what the end result will be before you start, go with a holistic approach and keep to your original vision!  It has worked for me and I'm notoriously easy to distract and disseminate.

But remember it's a hobby; don't push yourself or stress yourself over it and let it become pressurising, no matter how much better you 'work' under pressure, or it will be self defeating.  Enjoy it as much as you can.

I do...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Today I had a walk in the sun to explore the remains of the 3ft gauge Eastwell ironstone mine system on the top of scarp slope of the Vale of Belvoir in Leics. Well, not much remains but a few buildings do, not previously documented, and curiosity satisfied. I'll post photos in another time and place.

My point is...a visit and walkabout to research an area or item of interest can be an enjoyable and relaxing activity, even if you don't directly use the information gathered. It's available for use in thinking creatively about future projects. Railway modelling is an example of the interaction between creativity and technique in your own space.

Maybe one of the blocks that some contributors to this thread have is that they haven't [yet] been able to create the physical, time and emotional space for creative thinking in their busy lives. I had a very busy life for many years so I completely get this, you don't do much modelling when you're running your own business and doing 80+ hours a week, with multiple family and other expectations in your 20-50's.

The best thing I did 5 years ago was invest a few $k in converting half a double garage into a good quality working environment/home brewery. There is never enough time but I have the creative space. Cheers!

Dave

Some interesting and very thought provoking posts in recent days - my modelling mojo has pretty much thrown the towel in (again), I'm not really sure why that is because I still have an interest, it just doesn't seem to manifest itself in the usual way. My creative juices and enthusiasm seem to have transferred themselves to my garage where (very much to my surprise) my second Mini project is gathering momentum despite me being on the verge of selling it only a fortnight ago. I was looking at it yesterday and picturing it in my mind as a very large Airfix kit, breaking it down mentally into various tasks, each (hopefully) achievable in manageable chunks. The two biggest jobs will have to be done by someone else, but I'm finding that by getting stuck into all the other details, a certain level of satisfaction is already kicking in. I hope I can keep the momentum up long enough to see it finished properly, with the thought that I'll be able to drive it when it is eventually finished and back on the road. With a bit of luck the enthusiasm might flow back in the other direction towards railway matters.

Perhaps a break away from modelling is a good idea...?

Edited by Rugd1022

This is a fascinating thread. I have come to it really late on and merely skimmed the content so forgive me if i repeat points already made.

Here are some half baked ramblings...

When i am modelling i take it deadly seriously and it is the degree of immersion and the attainment of "flow" that i feel is a tonic. I do not however actively turn to modelling for this, i just recognise the benefits this level of immersion has on me after the event.

Reflecting on darker times and whether modelling helps, well when the black dog is sniffing around, as hobbyists who have tangible results in the the form of completed kits, scratch built projects sat on shelves and an entire layout sat in the corner, we are lucky that we have these physical reminders or "monuments" to immersion and joy. They remind us at least of our ability to feel zest, even if we are not feeling it right now. Leisure time is becoming (apparently) more about experiences rather than the accumulation of things. i wonder if the lack of "stuff" will make it harder to feel a connection with ourselves at our happiest, like looking at a hand built wagon???

As an aside, speaking strictly for myself and with no concrete evidence (how very modern!), i feel that the modern obsession with maximising potential and accumulation of experiences and other corporate speak bull.... is seeping into leisure time, thus leading to the possibility of hobbies themselves becoming sources of stress...just a thought;-)

So beware of taking the hobby too seriously but more importantly, make sure you take the hobby seriously enough!!

Happy modelling all!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That is an excellent idea. Of all the model railway videos on youtube, there are very few on basic detailing and improving, or re-modelling in the manor of Corbs, Sandhole, Relaxinghobby and all the other highly imaginative "bashers" on here.

I would recommend looking at contemporary magazines (I have lots of Railway Modellers, Model Trains, 'Constructors, Scale trains etc. from the 1980s), the current ones just tell you to throw out/retire/sell your old models.  

If you are doing basic detailing of models from that era, look at the recommended techniques of the time, they usually still apply.  There are frequently piles of mags at preserved railway loco fund "shops".  Alternatively, plenty of people on this forum are giving a lot of their magazines away.....

I would recommend looking at contemporary magazines (I have lots of Railway Modellers, Model Trains, 'Constructors, Scale trains etc. from the 1980s), the current ones just tell you to throw out/retire/sell your old models.

If you are doing basic detailing of models from that era, look at the recommended techniques of the time, they usually still apply. There are frequently piles of mags at preserved railway loco fund "shops". Alternatively, plenty of people on this forum are giving a lot of their magazines away.....

Love the book "Adding realism to your model railway" by Michael Andress. Some would say it's dated but it has a chapter on detailing diesels and is a lovely read.

Hmmm, is there some sort of movement towards retro techniques in railway modelling? Bit like how you can buy a commodore 64 computer from Game?

Edited by westernviscount

I'm hoping to kick start mine with a visit to Railex NE then Thirsk this weekend. Problem is, I'll be all fired up about modelling by Sunday evening then have to spend the next 5 days at work!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm hoping to kick start mine with a visit to Railex NE then Thirsk this weekend. Problem is, I'll be all fired up about modelling by Sunday evening then have to spend the next 5 days at work!

Going to exhibitions can kick start the Mojo, however it can have the opposite effect.

I had been ploughing a lonely furrow in my modelling, and went along to the  Tutbury 2mm Meet a couple of years ago as 2mm FS is my 'thing'.

I left feeling that I could NEVER attain the standards on show there and felt at rock bottom.

A conversation there, led to an invitation to come along to one of the 2mm Area Groups, very small and informal.

The time spent with like-minded souls, some further on, and some struggling, like me, along with an excellent speaker got me started again , and I have never looked back.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

Some interesting and very thought provoking posts in recent days - my modelling mojo has pretty much thrown the towel in (again), I'm not really sure why that is because I still have an interest, it just doesn't seem to manifest itself in the usual way. My creative juices and enthusiasm seem to have transferred themselves to my garage where (very much to my surprise) my second Mini project is gathering momentum despite me being on the verge of selling it only a fortnight ago. I was looking at it yesterday and picturing it in my mind as a very large Airfix kit, breaking it down mentally into various tasks, each (hopefully) achievable in manageable chunks. The two biggest jobs will have to be done by someone else, but I'm finding that by getting stuck into all the other details, a certain level of satisfaction is already kicking in. I hope I can keep the momentum up long enough to see it finished properly, with the thought that I'll be able to drive it when it is eventually finished and back on the road. With a bit of luck the enthusiasm might flow back in the other direction towards railway matters.

Perhaps a break away from modelling is a good idea...?

A break from any work/hobby/task can be beneficial. Stepping back and asking... why am I doing this? Am I getting pleasure from it? Is it causing more anxiety than pleasure? Remember modelling is supposed to be a release from the real world and should be fun - if it isn't then it's time to think about having a break. Sometimes a can then return later with renewed vigour and interest.

I muself have taken a long break due to numerous reasons. I have still gained much enjoyment from reading about the hobby but have done no 'active' modelling for around five years. I enjoy doodling ideas and planning layouts etc but ultimately I know I am not in he right age mentally to do much practically. I will come back to it one day though......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Westernviscount, Michael Andress was such a great inspiration for me with his 009 models, his book on narrow gauge railway modelling in the 1970s and articles in Airfix Magazine and Scale/Model Trains. He showed what could be done. Lets's hack a pug kit guys!

One thing I'm finding recently is that tools I've used for 30+ years are giving out- my Weller 25w soldering iron, then tonight a brute Japanese 60w iron both just faded out, the Expo mini drill is a bit flaky now. These are like old friends. I missed the possible drill replacement in Aldi a few weeks back. Maplins is gone so no easy replacements there. I have a Drapers 40w iron and a 110volt 60w one from Canada/made in China I can wire up to a lighting dimmer, but I need a light one for pesky fine work. It's all heading towards a major tidy-up of the workshop this summer. I need to get to Guildex in Sept for the Squires stand as well as other reasons.

I don't have a problem with the modelling mojo, I'm making things which are that little bit different or unique, even if the standards of workmanship are questionable at times. The work mojo is another matter!

Dava

Love the book "Adding realism to your model railway" by Michael Andress. Some would say it's dated but it has a chapter on detailing diesels and is a lovely read.

Hmmm, is there some sort of movement towards retro techniques in railway modelling? Bit like how you can buy a commodore 64 computer from Game?

Plus one for this...

I have recently been re-reading a very early edition of Norman Simmons' classic 'How to go Railway Modelling'. Whilst much of this is now bery dated and some positively obsolete, it is still inspiring, interesting and ultimately an enjoyable read. Part of this is no doubt nostalgia tinged, as I remember pouring over it as a kid, reading over and over again, but it has been really uplifting to read and has lifted my mood :)

I find something similar with reading old magazines. For me it is a set of Railway Modellers from 1996 and 1997 - two years worth I have had since childhood and read the spots off. When I need a boost I often turn to these. Memories of happy days as a young lad sat read these at home come back when looking at them again.

Finally (and sorry for rambling) I am a big believer in decluttering as a rememdy for the soul. Clearing out and reducing what we have is great for my mental health - I got rid of almost all my accumulated model railway 'stuff' a while ago and it really helped clear my mind too and reduce anxiety levels. 'Things and stuff' don't make me happy. Personally, being down to one loco and half a dozen wagons is a lovely liberating feeling rather than being burdened with stuff.... I was never a hoarder or collector and certainly didn't have mountains of stock but a clear out did me the world of good!!

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 4

I spend all day designing railway models which is far more demanding than any other jobs I've done in the past, bar the supermodel gig* I did for a summer in 1998, and when it comes to chill out time in the early hours of the morning, the most I can do is plot what stuff to buy "it's holding me back, and I can't possibly do another stroke until I have this thing" nonsense, or "the soldering iron gets a bit stinky" or "filing rail is a bit noisy and might wake the small one", or "I left a key tool in HQ and possibly can't carry on, until I have it".  

It's all procrastination, and we're all guilty of that - long working days, and the thought of trying to be Worzel Gummidge, and swapping one professional head, for another more leisurely, yet similarly focussed one, in the pursuit of some modelling brilliance, is an anathema for most.

So I'll pop on here for a bit, which in itself is inspiration, then I see something astonishing, and the batteries are recharged. Don't get me wrong, I won't actually do anything on foot of this new found enthusiasm, but I'll google the life out whatever it is. That internal dichotomy is enough for me. Now if you'll excuse me, I've some brickwork patterns that need further investigation, before I commit to anything... 

Rich. 

P.S. - There's no rush to finish a layout, or a model either. Could you imagine the panic of having nothing left to do? Unconscionable, M'lud. For a healthy attitude toward this challenge, I favour the adage of the gardeners - "Little, and often"

*It was repainting a Class 20 in CIE colours with a distemper brush... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Plus one for this...

I have recently been re-reading a very early edition of Norman Simmons' classic 'How to go Railway Modelling'. Whilst much of this is now bery dated and some positively obsolete, it is still inspiring, interesting and ultimately an enjoyable read. Part of this is no doubt nostalgia tinged, as I remember pouring over it as a kid, reading over and over again, but it has been really uplifting to read and has lifted my mood :)

I find something similar with reading old magazines. For me it is a set of Railway Modellers from 1996 and 1997 - two years worth I have had since childhood and read the spots off. When I need a boost I often turn to these. Memories of happy days as a young lad sat read these at home come back when looking at them again.

Finally (and sorry for rambling) I am a big believer in decluttering as a rememdy for the soul. Clearing out and reducing what we have is great for my mental health - I got rid of almost all my accumulated model railway 'stuff' a while ago and it really helped clear my mind too and reduce anxiety levels. 'Things and stuff' don't make me happy. Personally, being down to one loco and half a dozen wagons is a lovely liberating feeling rather than being burdened with stuff.... I was never a hoarder or collector and certainly didn't have mountains of stock but a clear out did me the world of good!!

I absolutely agree about decluttering.  A clear environment clears the mind, reduces stress, and is A Good Thing whatever the context.  I have found it beneficial in the long term even when it is enforced by home repossession and loss of belongings, though I don't recommend this as the go to method...  

But I have also always held the viewpoint that a tidy workbench is evidence of a mindset just as obsessive and entrenched; my own workbench is a complete tip, but I know where everything is at all times.  It's in that lot somewhere... 

So I indulge in occasional bench cleanings when things get overpowering. i.e. when there is no room even on the top layer of mess for more.  There is no point in tidying up until I have finished making the mess, after all, is there?  

A little tongue in cheek, but it illustrates that a sensible balance, if you can achieve something that defines that for you, is a generally good point to aim for.  Obsessive tidiness is just as stress inducing as cluttering, we are creatures of compromise.  If you think your environment is causing you stress and stress related problems, I'd say you ought to be thinking about examining the situation and how it is affecting you, before deciding to take measures.  If others are complaining about the mess, or the anal neatness, then unless there is an actual health or fire hazard, I'd take their views into account if they live with you, but otherwise ignore them; it's your train set, and your life.  But maintain vigilant self analysis of your mood level and how your surroundings and possessions affect it!

As Frasier used to say, good night and good mental health...

• Like 3

I spend all day designing railway models which is far more demanding than any other jobs I've done in the past, bar the supermodel gig* I did for a summer in 1998, and when it comes to chill out time in the early hours of the morning, the most I can do is plot what stuff to buy "it's holding me back, and I can't possibly do another stroke until I have this thing" nonsense, or "the soldering iron gets a bit stinky" or "filing rail is a bit noisy and might wake the small one", or "I left a key tool in HQ and possibly can't carry on, until I have it".

It's all procrastination, and we're all guilty of that - long working days, and the thought of trying to be Worzel Gummidge, and swapping one professional head, for another more leisurely, yet similarly focussed one, in the pursuit of some modelling brilliance, is an anathema for most.

So I'll pop on here for a bit, which in itself is inspiration, then I see something astonishing, and the batteries are recharged. Don't get me wrong, I won't actually do anything on foot of this new found enthusiasm, but I'll google the life out whatever it is. That internal dichotomy is enough for me. Now if you'll excuse me, I've some brickwork patterns that need further investigation, before I commit to anything...

Rich.

P.S. - There's no rush to finish a layout, or a model either. Could you imagine the panic of having nothing left to do? Unconscionable, M'lud. For a healthy attitude toward this challenge, I favour the adage of the gardeners - "Little, and often"

*It was repainting a Class 20 in CIE colours with a distemper brush...

I used to be of the opinion that time on here was time wasted that could be spent modelling. However I am far more pragmatic now. If I get enjoyment and inspiration from sharing here than that can only be good thing. Yes I may not do any practical modelling but, as mentioned previously, unfortunately at the moment I am not in the right head space or mental frame of mind to be able to.

Just contributing here is in essence a social activity (albeit on the computer which is clearly not as good as in real life) which can only be of benefit to those of us who are currently struggling.

Again on decluttering and neatness/tidyness, it is a fine balance. Anyone also prone to OCD symptoms will understand!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Partly influenced by this thread, I tidied an area of my workbench yesterday evening. It needed doing anyway so I could test my current project, a 21mm [3ft gauge in 7mm scale] Ruston 48DS chassis I'm building. This project can have its own thread if anyone's interested.

It passed the test. Since then I've been soldering up the pickups and brake gear. The workbench is now back to how it was before!

post-14654-0-88610000-1532878785_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Well after 35 years plus of not building kits I've just completed the third one in a week, three to go.

Ok, so I am getting past that hurdle, just adding Kadees, painting and then putting on transfers.....

But if I keep it in distinct steps then I can practice on one and perfect on the others.

The Cambrian kit even has imperfections that I am not bothered by which is a real positive step because I am not beating myself up about it.

• Like 1