Made a start tonight on the buildings in the background. I sketched them on in pencil and then painted them in, just with white black and a smidge of brown. Might do more; not sure.

Excellent, glad you got the smoke all going the same way.

Note the bottle shaped chimneys of glass kilns, which were very much a feature of Bristol. That would set the scene much more firmly than straight factory chimneys which could be anywhere.

The photos on this site do not really suggest "dark and satanic" at all.  

Best wishes

Eric

Hi Eric, great selection of photos- very atmospheric indeed. They all seem to be taken on bright sunny days as well! Looking again at my painting, I will probably have a go at taking the blackness down a bit to more of a grey shade to suggest distance and add some more buildings etc on the horizon. You're right in that I don't want it too gloomy, bordering on apocalyptic...!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Note the bottle shaped chimneys of glass kilns, which were very much a feature of Bristol. That would set the scene much more firmly than straight factory chimneys which could be anywhere.

The photos on this site do not really suggest "dark and satanic" at all.  

Best wishes

Eric  

Have you spotted this photo, with its Midland Railway receiving office, among Paul Townsend's old Bristol photos? https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2059444753/in/album-72157603262507492/  Good to see such a well designed approach.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Have you spotted this photo, with its Midland Railway receiving office, among Paul Townsend's old Bristol photos? https://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2059444753/in/album-72157603262507492/  Good to see such a well designed approach.

Hi Phil,

Great photo. Have been looking through the link posted by Burgundy, I find if you study photos like these and immerse yourself in the atmosphere then it helps to bring out some of that atmosphere in your models. Unfortunately in a space of 6' x 2' I'm fairly limited!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Great photo. Have been looking through the link posted by Burgundy, I find if you study photos like these and immerse yourself in the atmosphere then it helps to bring out some of that atmosphere in your models. Unfortunately in a space of 6' x 2' I'm fairly limited!

Richard

Hi Richard,

It's a great resource. I went to college in Bristol 69-71, so I know the central area quite well. You are lucky to have such a good archive relevant to your time frame. My diorama* based on Highbridge Wharf is in the doldrums at present, with too many other things going on, but apart from Chris Handley's excellent 'The Maritime Activities of the S&D', there is not much else about, relating to Highbridge in the 1920s. However I think there's enough in the book to make a go of it, eventually.

* see my album for reasons why it is static - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4186-the-highbridge-wharf-project/

Best wishes for your layout

Phil

• Like 1

Having found a copy of the relevant section of the 25" OS map for 1902, I am beginning to wonder whether "dark and satanic" may not be an appropriate theme after all! 

As far as I can tell, the sidings in the photo are on the north bank of a section of the floating harbour, which runs roughly north west/south east. The eastern approach to Temple Meads passenger station runs over one end. Downstream (to the west or left hand side of the map) is a glass bottle works (of which the photos show the kilns) and then a distillery. Inland is a paper mill. Upstream is the bridge leading to the approach to Temple Meads and then a lead works, a gas works, a soap and candle works and a galvanised iron works. At least the glue works, the manure works and the disused colliery are a little bit further upstream. Across the river, is the GWR's Temple Meads goods yard and the cattle market. For some reason, the photographers seem to have missed out a lot of this bit of Bristol! 

Is this one of those cameos where we really need to have some of the local aromas?

Best wishes

Eric

Having found a copy of the relevant section of the 25" OS map for 1902, I am beginning to wonder whether "dark and satanic" may not be an appropriate theme after all! 

As far as I can tell, the sidings in the photo are on the north bank of a section of the floating harbour, which runs roughly north west/south east. The eastern approach to Temple Meads passenger station runs over one end. Downstream (to the west or left hand side of the map) is a glass bottle works (of which the photos show the kilns) and then a distillery. Inland is a paper mill. Upstream is the bridge leading to the approach to Temple Meads and then a lead works, a gas works, a soap and candle works and a galvanised iron works. At least the glue works, the manure works and the disused colliery are a little bit further upstream. Across the river, is the GWR's Temple Meads goods yard and the cattle market. For some reason, the photographers seem to have missed out a lot of this bit of Bristol! 

Is this one of those cameos where we really need to have some of the local aromas?

Best wishes

Eric

What a coincidence, I bought a copy of that map this week and have yet to really sit down and study it. Scratch and sniff cameo... can't find a chapter on that in Rice's book...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have an earlier set of Bristol maps in my album at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4370-maps-of-bristol/ shouldthey be of any interest. If you want to see the maps enlarged go to the 'options' button near top right and choose 'view all sizes'. Then pick the size you want. (You may already know this - but I took a time to find that function!)

Edited by phil_sutters

Very nicely modelled Richard, may I ask what the main material is for the hull.

In the past I've tended to go for 1 mm ply which can be steamed and worked into shape as per this one ( posted elsewhere but might be of interest ?

Very much looking forward to the finished vessel and enjoying the thread.

post-20303-0-50573000-1508759588_thumb.jpeg

Grahame

• Like 8

Further up on this thread there's a pic of the hull. Basically 3 blocks of solid cherry (because that's what I had lying around) glued together. The centre section was jigsawed out and then the hull profile sanded with a drum sanding block set up in a drill press. Surprisingly easy to profile both sides and get them reasonably similar, although the far side won't ever be seen.

• Like 3

So here it is primed and ready for painting, although the primer shows up a few fluffy bits and stray glue which will need cleaning up first. Next is cogitating on what would be appropriate colours. I think I have worked out with some help that the sign writing was white, shaded black, on an ultramarine blue background. The rest of the hull I assume would be well-weathered black, with the decking being well-weathered bare timber. Looking forward to getting this aspect done and moving on to adding crew, coils of rope, sacks, barrels, loading planks etc.

post-31608-0-18537400-1508774605_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

And for those who might be wondering, there's no floor to the loading bay because once the barge is stuck in place the ply base of the canal will become the floor, painted in to match and mostly covered up with a load of grain sacks.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is splendid.

I must say Trickers you are in the process of producing something quite special here.

Rob.

• Agree 1

This is splendid.

I must say Trickers you are in the process of producing something quite special here.

Rob.

Thank you Rob, I really appreciate that.

Trickers (aka Richard, Rich, tricky, trickster, trickly dick, dick, etc etc. In fact anything except Ricky!!)

Having lived with the backscene for a few days, I came to the conclusion that it was a bit too dark and moody. Here's the latest effort, which was wiped over with dilute white emulsion. A bit scary but successful I think. It doesn't come over too well in the photos but in real life the chimneys look misty and more distant. I shall live with this for a few days as well. Welcome your comments as always...

post-31608-0-91254900-1508864293_thumb.jpgpost-31608-0-52415100-1508864327_thumb.jpgpost-31608-0-52265900-1508864354_thumb.jpg

Apart from painting the barge, next up might be trackwork...

• Like 8

Having lived with the backscene for a few days, I came to the conclusion that it was a bit too dark and moody. Here's the latest effort, which was wiped over with dilute white emulsion. A bit scary but successful I think. It doesn't come over too well in the photos but in real life the chimneys look misty and more distant. I shall live with this for a few days as well. Welcome your comments as always...

attachicon.gifIMG_4900.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4901.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_4902.JPG

Apart from painting the barge, next up might be trackwork...

I like it, and it is no bad thing that I am still moved to ask whether Those Feet in Ancient Times ...

The boat is a particularly brilliant modelling feat.

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

I told you what I thought about the backscene at Uckfield and I think this one is an improvement!

I don't suppose we could get a picture with the shells of the buildings on so we can get a feel of the full scene?

Gary

Richard,

I told you what I thought about the backscene at Uckfield and I think this one is an improvement!

I don't suppose we could get a picture with the shells of the buildings on so we can get a feel of the full scene?

Gary

No probs, I shall oblige after dinner!

• Like 2