“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

I dont know if this image is of use, but I found it on smugmug while looking for something else and thought of this thread :)

https://x5pgr.smugmug.com/Trains/BritainsMainLineRailways/Scotland/i-jJ6hVb5/A

That’s very nice, thanks for that.

By chance I’ve been thinking today about the goods vans I need for the layout and you’ve produced a photo with some in!

I think they look like BR vans, but can’t tell if they are planked and /or plywood...

That’s very nice, thanks for that.

By chance I’ve been thinking today about the goods vans I need for the layout and you’ve produced a photo with some in!

I think they look like BR vans, but can’t tell if they are planked and /or plywood...

They are BR standard 12t vans. The one on the left has planked doors (you can tell by the strapping on them) and so must have planked bodywork as no planked doors/plywood bodies where built. It will also have standard RCH vacuum 4 shoe brake gear as again no all planked vans had 8 shoe clasp brake gear. The other two both have plywood doors and so could be either all plywood body & doors or planked body & plywood doors. Looking at the middle van, judging by its cleanliness I would say it is an all plywood van. It also seems to have 3-part ends so that could narrow it down a bit. The one on the right hints at being planked body/plywood doors. Both styles of van had RCH vacuum 4 shoe standard and 8 shoe clasp brake gear.

This would give you an excuse to model all three variations!

They are BR standard 12t vans. The one on the left has planked doors (you can tell by the strapping on them) and so must have planked bodywork as no planked doors/plywood bodies where built. It will also have standard RCH vacuum 4 shoe brake gear as again no all planked vans had 8 shoe clasp brake gear. The other two both have plywood doors and so could be either all plywood body & doors or planked body & plywood doors. Looking at the middle van, judging by its cleanliness I would say it is an all plywood van. It also seems to have 3-part ends so that could narrow it down a bit. The one on the right hints at being planked body/plywood doors. Both styles of van had RCH vacuum 4 shoe standard and 8 shoe clasp brake gear.

This would give you an excuse to model all three variations!

Nice one, I’ll do just that and model all three.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've gone for ready made crossings;

Time saving - tick

Convenient - tick

Lazy - tick

Early down the pub - tick

More time for pointless posting on the internet - tick

Oh no there's a beer festival down the pub this weekend - tick

post-8734-0-40414600-1527334988_thumb.jpg

To be bluntly honest I haven't got the skill/time/inclination to produce something like that.

• Like 2

I've gone for ready made crossings;

Time saving - tick

Convenient - tick

Lazy - tick

Early down the pub - tick

More time for pointless posting on the internet - tick

Oh no there's a beer festival down the pub this weekend - tick

attachicon.giftrack-construction23.jpg

To be bluntly honest I haven't got the skill/time/inclination to produce something like that.

I can’t say I blame you at all! If you are only making a micro layout then fair enough but anything bigger and it’s hours of work. I’ve lost count of the number of projects I have on the go all at once. The quality is going to be top notch and it frees up time for the million and one other things that need doing on a layout and are probably more enjoyable . I’d definitely go down the C&L road if I ever get chance to do an exhibition layout . Edited by meanach

I can’t say I blame you at all! If you are only making a micro layout then fair enough but anything bigger and it’s hours of work. I’ve lost count of the number of projects I have on the go all at once. The quality is going to be top notch and it frees up time for the million and one other things that need doing on a layout and are probably more enjoyable . I’d definitely go down the C&L road if I ever get chance to do an exhibition layout .

Just to be clear these are Exacto-scale components supplied by C&L, rather than the standard C&L range. (also note I think the range is going to be sold separately to C&L but I'm not sure what that looks like at present)

So,

The parts I've got are as pictured below;

S1 - standard chair

L1 - bridge chair

X

B

post-8734-0-78333600-1527338714_thumb.jpg

On the face of it I seam to be missing something for A & C.

But there weren't any on the sprue, unless I need another one...

post-8734-0-73705500-1527339240_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Premium

So,

The parts I've got are as pictured below;

S1 - standard chair

L1 - bridge chair

X

B

track-construction26.jpg

On the face of it I seam to be missing something for A & C.

But there weren't any on the sprue, unless I need another one...

track-construction27.jpg

Any thoughts?

A should be part 8A and C should be 8C (for a 1:8, I forget what size turnouts you're doing, assume the number depends on the size).

If you're not doing a 1:8, I probably have some spares left over.