“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

Track work's come to a halt while I've ordered more components.

In the mean time I thought I'd take one of the loco's apart to see what the detailing and modification job looked like.

First job, I've pulled the body off the chassis and then stripped the bogies down. All pretty easy; the bogie sides just pull off, allowing me to remove the NEM socket.

Also, which I think is really neat, the buffer beam pulls straight off allowing for all the detailing to be done off the loco. Very nice.

post-8734-0-15492200-1520681193_thumb.jpg

I've not done any of this sort of stuff for yonks, so I need to sharpen up and remember what I'm doing...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

While you have the side frames off, it's worthwhile cutting off the springs and refitting so they are further back rather than in their current position beneath the bolster. Gives the sideframe a bit more depth.

post-6677-0-44500300-1520683907_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-57414700-1520683953_thumb.jpg

Edit to add: I know I need to paint the wheels on mine!

• Like 1

While you have the side frames off, it's worthwhile cutting off the springs and refitting so they are further back rather than in their current position beneath the bolster. Gives the sideframe a bit more depth.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180310_120849.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180310_120737.jpg

Have you put some plasticard behind the bogie frame to mount them on in their new position?

BTW, the plough mounting is a bit too flimsy for my liking...

• RMweb Premium

Have you put some plasticard behind the bogie frame to mount them on in their new position?

Yes, a block of Evergreen strip or similar is ideal.

If I remember correctly the sideframe plastic is a bit fussy about what solvent it likes. Think Plastic Weld did the job.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180310_120849.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180310_120737.jpg

You need to finish it off to run on my layout...

And with the body back on.

attachicon.gifClass26 detailing6.jpg

They make a lot of difference to the look of the loco, although I can see some de-burring is required...

Some interesting modeling work on this thread.  Nice though these ploughs are, they are not correct for any 26 or 27.  Most early Heljan releases of 26/27's included ploughs from their Class 33, later releases came with correctly shaped ploughs.  The 33 type featured turned up lower lips/edges to avoid any contact with the live 3rd rail.  

The later correct ploughs fitted to 26 035

post-2215-0-00609300-1520695794_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Some interesting modeling work on this thread.  Nice though these ploughs are, they are not correct for any 26 or 27.  Most early Heljan releases of 26/27's included ploughs from their Class 33, later releases came with correctly shaped ploughs.  The 33 type featured turned up lower lips/edges to avoid any contact with the live 3rd rail.  

The later correct ploughs fitted to 26 035

Ah, that’s interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

Can you buy the later ploughs separately?

Following this thread with interest, as I lived in Inverness from 1970-77 and Type 2s of Classes 24 and 26 were very much the staple fare in them days.

I'd agree with tractor_37260 about the snowploughs: the ones I used on my Highland Lines 26 were from the Heljan Class 47 and certainly look more like the business, anyway.  Might be able to get spares from Howes of Oxford?

Alasdair

Following this thread with interest, as I lived in Inverness from 1970-77 and Type 2s of Classes 24 and 26 were very much the staple fare in them days.

I'd agree with tractor_37260 about the snowploughs: the ones I used on my Highland Lines 26 were from the Heljan Class 47 and certainly look more like the business, anyway.  Might be able to get spares from Howes of Oxford?

Alasdair

Alasdair

Ah yes the good old days - I worked as a lorry driver at the NCL Inverness Depot in the 70's.  Back then a lot of goods were shipped via rail : Containers/Tennents Beer/Whisky/Woolworth's - remember box vans full of sweets for them............! Was always a pleasure picking up Whisky Butt's and Hoggies from the stills to be rail shipped for blending, especially on a Fri - often ended up with a small bottle of the "clear" stuff - (rocket fuel) - one mouthful followed by a pint and you were totally WASTED............

HJ 47 Ploughs could be used with a few mods, also perhaps easier to source than the correct 26/27 ones...............However, as Heljan has recently released a new batch of 26's spare ploughs should be available - Howes Models ? 

Ken

• Like 1

No not really, the 33 ploughs are also shallower overall.......... so would still look odd.... better to try and source the correct ones...............

Fair enough.

Here's one out of the bits box, not sure what it's off, but I can see the difference in depth and there seems to be some different angles going on...

post-8734-0-43352400-1520760363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1