“Highland Sulzers” - Inverness TMD in the 80's - P4

Indomitable026

Here's my Heljan 26 with the Class 47 ploughs - as you can see it's in GSYP with black ploughs.  IIRC from my Inverness days yellow ploughs didn't appear until about 1972, ie well into the Corporate Blue era, but maybe some-one can confirm.  There is a pic published somewhere of a GSYP 26 leaving Pitlochry in 1965 with what are claimed to be yellow ploughs but I contend the colour is due to brake-dust/road-dirt... getting a bit OT here perhaps.

Alasdair

post-19366-0-25645700-1520784521_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Here's my Heljan 26 with the Class 47 ploughs - as you can see it's in GSYP with black ploughs.  IIRC from my Inverness days yellow ploughs didn't appear until about 1972, ie well into the Corporate Blue era, but maybe some-one can confirm.  There is a pic published somewhere of a GSYP 26 leaving Pitlochry in 1965 with what are claimed to be yellow ploughs but I contend the colour is due to brake-dust/road-dirt... getting a bit OT here perhaps.

Alasdair

Have you checked out any of W J Anderson’s photos of railways in Scotland ? Pretty sure he took some colour shots of that era.

Have you checked out any of W J Anderson’s photos of railways in Scotland ? Pretty sure he took some colour shots of that era.

Yes, the "Scotland's Railways" anthology (Anderson/Stephenson tribute, Ian Allan 2010) and also "On Highland Lines" (Robert Robotham, Ian Allan 2000) both support my recollection... assuming the caption dates are correct, of course.

Alasdair

• RMweb Gold

Were the snow ploughs fitted all year round, on the Inverness locos ?

My Easter pics taken concurrently with the class 50 above, show the majority of the Sulzer 2's and BRCW 2's had the snow ploughs fitted.

Presumably though, Easter is still in the middle of winter up there?

Mike.

I would imagine one occasion would be when the loco is due for a works visit, I believe they were a depot item, and once lost gone forever.

Mike.

Ploughs always seemed to be in short supply. One chap I worked alongside spent a lot of time at the start of the winterisation period (October-) driving between Motherwell, Eastfield and Inverness with van loads of the ploughs for the depots to fit - usually it was the wing ploughs that were taken off.  The maintenance controllers had a job for a while recording what loco's had them missing and from what position to get them replaced.  As Regularity says - they were considered lethal by the Driver's Assistant's and Secondmen trying to couple up / uncouple the loco's.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ploughs always seemed to be in short supply. One chap I worked alongside spent a lot of time at the start of the winterisation period (October-) driving between Motherwell, Eastfield and Inverness with van loads of the ploughs for the depots to fit - usually it was the wing ploughs that were taken off.  The maintenance controllers had a job for a while recording what loco's had them missing and from what position to get them replaced.  As Regularity says - they were considered lethal by the Driver's Assistant's and Secondmen trying to couple up / uncouple the loco's.

But Sulzer's look so dribbly with them fitted!!

cheers

Andy

Dribbly?

Technical term Andy?

Btw what ploughs do you use?

Dribbly.....Wibbly..........same meaning Damian!

Back in the days of yore, when Howes were still selling plenty of Heljan spares, I bought a load of sprues and still have a few left. I found that the Heljan ploughs were the easiest to fit and looked the part for the price, but as more and more locos are being produced for GQS, I'm getting near to exhausting me stash. Haven't yet sourced a replacement but Pete Harvey does an etched brass fret with what looks like very nice ploughs - have to fold up and solder though.....ho hum......

cheers

Andy

I think the fitting arrangement of ploughs was fairly standard for most, except in the case of class 33s. I am led to believe the outer ploughs were attached to the bogie frames, however I've not looked into due to not needing to model any.

Cheers

I picked this book up yesterday at Wansford.

It’s imediately become the best book I have, with some of the best pictures I’ve ever seen of early Diesels in Scotland. From the period when most were photographing and lamenting the end of steam there’s some unbelievably rare shots.

post-8734-0-91462200-1523175470_thumb.jpeg

Excellent stuff, and I like the fact that new stuff can still appear after all this time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I picked this book up yesterday at Wansford.

It’s imediately become the best book I have, with some of the best pictures I’ve ever seen of early Diesels in Scotland. From the period when most were photographing and lamenting the end of steam there’s some unbelievably rare shots.

attachicon.gif6FC5513E-5B32-4E95-B6AE-51C6151883D7.jpeg

Excellent stuff, and I like the fact that new stuff can still appear after all this time.

22! John will love that. Do you know you will soon be able to get one RTR in 7mm? Who'd have thought that?

I think the fitting arrangement of ploughs was fairly standard for most, except in the case of class 33s. I am led to believe the outer ploughs were attached to the bogie frames, however I've not looked into due to not needing to model any.

Cheers

Again, not my field, but weren't the 33's fitted with a slightly different plough due to the third rail?

cheers

Andy

Again, not my field, but weren't the 33's fitted with a slightly different plough due to the third rail?

cheers

Andy

Yep, and that’s what I originally tripped up on. Heljan supplied incorrect class 33 style ploughs with the class 26/7s I bought.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, and that’s what I originally tripped up on.

You need to be careful: could turn out to be a shocking experience!