The Pre-Grouping Pedants Weekly

We've not really resolved trucks and wagons - probably because it's an insoluble question. But what about wagons and waggons? I think of waggon as archaic - a non-railway term, more likely a road vehicle. But I've noticed some on here using it consistently - is it perhaps a regionalism?

If we're going to get into road transport, the word 'lorry' is an example of the paucity of modern vocabulary - a century or more ago our roads were crowded with a dictionary-full of diverse vehicles.

Waggons run on plateways, but sometimes they're Chaldrons......

Time for a cup of tea and a bun, methinks?  :scratchhead:

• Like 2

Waggons run on plateways, but sometimes they're Chaldrons......

The early, outside framed, mineral wagons of both the CR and NBR were called 'bogies'.  They were rated at 6tons (later ones 7tons) but, like their later 8 and 10 ton successors could not physically contain that weight of coal.  They could, however hold that weight of iron ore, which is heavier than coal.

Jim

I've never discover how you pronounce it. ........ and no doubt there are regional variations!

Well being from north east Scotland, I heard it pronounced as 'koldrons', be they 'Cha(u)ldrons' or 'Cauldrons'.

But there are two types of Cha(u)ldron by weight, Newcastle and London.

I believe it's also pronounced like 'chawdron'.

All E.& O.E.

Edited by Penlan

To add to the dictionary, the term "rail-road" was coined in Great Britain and much employed in the "early days" - see Nicholas Wood "A Practical Treatise On Rail-Roads" (first published 1825).  

Many companies in the USA used (and still use) the term "railway" (e.g. Burlington Northern Santa Fe). 

But how do you pronounce it?  which I believe is what BG John would like to know.

OT warning.  I remember hearing the words 'film' and 'milk' in Norfolk, and later the same way with a Scouse accent being pronounced, fil-um  and mil-uk.

I thought the "koldron" pronounciation in respect of cooking vessels was pretty consistent across the land.

• RMweb Premium

The early, outside framed, mineral wagons of both the CR and NBR were called 'bogies'.  They were rated at 6tons (later ones 7tons) but, like their later 8 and 10 ton successors could not physically contain that weight of coal.  They could, however hold that weight of iron ore, which is heavier than coal.

Jim

A bogie being of course a small four-wheeled truck...

• Like 1

A bogie being of course a small four-wheeled truck...

Wheels within wheels, eh.......

As for other meanings for bogies, I think we've been remarkably restrained!  As a child, I used to make artificial bogies by rolling a drop of contact adhesive between finger and thumb until it had a blacky, yellowy, grey look and was pretty solid.  Useful for grossing out the more susceptible......

As for other meanings for bogies, I think we've been remarkably restrained!  As a child, I used to make artificial bogies by rolling a drop of contact adhesive between finger and thumb until it had a blacky, yellowy, grey look and was pretty solid.  Useful for grossing out the more susceptible......

I don't wish to get snotty about it, but your comment is off topic.

Edited by BG John
  • Like 2

Wheels within wheels, eh.......

My 'Bogie' was wooden with 4 old pram wheels, the front pair could be steered with rope or feet and there was a box with the end taken out to sit in. Brake? Was a lever which pressed against the tyre on one back wheel. Happy days!

Ian.

• Like 2

I don't wish to get snotty about it, but your comment is off topic.

I agree with John on that one. That's bogeys, not bogies, and should be on a separate topic. Not that I am going to start it!

Curses, I though this thread was "Pre-Groupies Pedant Weekly", I was keen to know what life was like in those innocent days when one could attend exhibtions without being accosted by a gaggle of "innocent" young things asking if they could come and see your fiddle yard.

My 'Bogie' was wooden with 4 old pram wheels, the front pair could be steered with rope or feet and there was a box with the end taken out to sit in. Brake? Was a lever which pressed against the tyre on one back wheel. Happy days!

You beat me to it on that one Ian!  Of course the only proper dress for riding in a bogie (or carty) was dungerees and tackety boots like Oor Wullie!

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh I don't know!

attachicon.gifplane and train.jpg

I think we all remember this and the Jones goods is most definitely pre grouping

A Jones goods may be pre grouping but it certainly isn't French!

And Mk1 coaches are neither French nor pre-Grouping.

In the spirit of the title, shouldn't there be an apostrophe after pedants? Ie "The Pre-Grouping Pedants' Weekly."

Depends on how many pedants are involved: it could be, "The Pre-Grouping Pedant's Weekly"...

And, 'weekly': should this be read to mean that it is issued at seven-daily intervals, or that it will be issued once within the span of each calendar week? Very different things, I'm sure you'll all agree.

...or even, "The Pre-Grouping Pedant's Weakly"...

As I said when greeting a friend who had grown a goatee beard, "I know you think people are saying that you look like a count, but I think you misheard them..."

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Premium

I agree with John on that one. That's bogeys, not bogies, and should be on a separate topic. Not that I am going to start it!

Let's get it over and done with: a Smellie wee bogie. With apologies to Sou' West enthusiasts everywhere, who will rightly say it's more properly a 119 class or 'Greenock' bogie.

• Like 3

Let's get it over and done with: a Smellie wee bogie. With apologies to Sou' West enthusiasts everywhere, who will rightly say it's more properly a 119 class or 'Greenock' bogie.

If we're going down that avenue, don't forget the Oban Bogie(s) of which there were several.   :beee: Since this is a pedant's thread I'd better refer to them as the 179, 55 and 191 classes.

Jim