Kings Cross York Road & Suburban Platforms

Pete 75C

I've got a copy of that, I'll try to post it on here tonight.  :sungum:

Sounds like an interesting article. If you can't post it on here, Simon, I'd be very grateful for a PM copy if that's possible? Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting signalling going into the hole at York road, there were four signal heads (two on each side). Presumably this was to cater for locos driven from both sides, and, as the heads appear to be angled differently, to cope with stoppers and non-stoppers.

Again another detail that if you modelled it, no-one would believe....

This is a fascinating thread...

Andy G

• Like 1

I seem to recall that, many years ago, probably the early/mid-80s, there was in an early edition of one of the fairly short-lived magazines of those days (possibly 'Your Model Railway') an article suggesting how a model inspired by this section of Kings Cross could be developed.  Think it may even have been called "Kings Cross Suburban".

Don't know about the article, but there is a very interesting video called "Kings Cross Suburban". 1970's around the time just before / during electrification. Well worth £15.

http://www.videoscene.co.uk/kings-cross-suburban.html

Brit15

While we've wandered over the other side, how's about this for this fascinating bit of railway as it was at the end of C19th, with thanks to Our Friends North of the Border.

I'm no GN afficionado, but think of the locos that could be stabled and turned in here; a fascinating layout!

post-26817-0-53957100-1511824339_thumb.png

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

While we've wandered over the other side, how's about this for this fascinating bit of railway as it was at the end of C19th, with thanks to Our Friends North of the Border.

I'm no GN afficionado, but think of the locos that could be stabled and turned in here; a fascinating layout!

I'm working on it ......be careful about holding your breath though..

• Like 3

attachicon.gifyork_1.png

That would work well Pete, I've got the temptation to add a suburban platform or two between hotel curve and the main platforms?

OK, well I've totally run out of space...

Trying to add a couple of suburban platforms is pushing the width too much, and the Streamline geometry is a little limiting. The platforms have to be on a curve, as (to me) it's not visually appealing otherwise.

In an ideal world (and accepting the compromise), I'd actually be quite happy with just York Rd station and the suburban platforms and miss out the main line in the middle completely... a Deltic idling somewhere would look good but it doesn't have to be at the head of a train of Mk2s.

I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to get a "flavour" of the Kings Cross suburban workings in a limited space, but the space keeps getting bigger! In an ideal world, I'd be looking at 8' x 2' on two identical boards but I'm convinced it's not possible.

post-17811-0-02578000-1511885104_thumb.png

Edit: BTW, big thank you to Simon for the upload. The cramped parcels/motorail area is a gem crying out to be modelled. It's probably been done, but I've never seen anything.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK, well I've totally run out of space...

Trying to add a couple of suburban platforms is pushing the width too much, and the Streamline geometry is a little limiting. The platforms have to be on a curve, as (to me) it's not visually appealing otherwise.

In an ideal world (and accepting the compromise), I'd actually be quite happy with just York Rd station and the suburban platforms and miss out the main line in the middle completely... a Deltic idling somewhere would look good but it doesn't have to be at the head of a train of Mk2s.

I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to get a "flavour" of the Kings Cross suburban workings in a limited space, but the space keeps getting bigger! In an ideal world, I'd be looking at 8' x 2' on two identical boards but I'm convinced it's not possible.

attachicon.gifkingsx6.png

Edit: BTW, big thank you to Simon for the upload. The cramped parcels/motorail area is a gem crying out to be modelled. It's probably been done, but I've never seen anything.

I think that your problem here is getting the down line right. Perhaps better left off altogether.

Here's a view looking down on the York Road platform. That's 55004 departing in the background.

attachicon.gif(260a) 55004 Kings Cross 1-8-75 (T Ermel) .jpg

Kings Cross on 1st August 1975

Trevor

Edit for typo

That photo must be mid-70s at the latest, but on the extreme right a woman appears to be talking into a mobile phone....

Maybe time travel is possible after all??

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That photo must be mid-70s at the latest, but on the extreme right a woman appears to be talking into a mobile phone....

Maybe time travel is possible after all??

Which photo?

But apart from any Dr Who-type incidents, I would be interested in dates for those photos.

I have long wanted to build an 0 gauge parcels depot layout. My plan was based on York (the old YNMR terminus) but this looks like a better option.

I thought that, but concluded that she was adjusting a set of headphones ...... I think portable cassette players might have been "in" then, or maybe simply a portable radio.

The photos in the magazine article look to me to date from when preparations for suburban electrification were under way.

There was an open section behind the former model shop in York Way.

The climb on hotel Curve was quite steep and as others have said a bit of a ###### to get a loaded train going from there, especially in the wet. But, the 31s were quite up to the job.

Reading about the dip under the canal, I've just read the book on WW2 damage to London's railways (Capital Transport), and there was a runaway accident toward the end of the war. An A4 left KX with a very heavy train, over 550 tons one evening and unknown to the loco crew actually slid back into the station with a couple of coaches side-swiping an adjacent train. most of the station was closed for 5 days while they sorted out the ensuing mess.

Cecil Kimber of MG was killed in this accident:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Kimber

• RMweb Gold

I thought that, but concluded that she was adjusting a set of headphones ...... I think portable cassette players might have been "in" then, or maybe simply a portable radio.

The photos in the magazine article look to me to date from when preparations for suburban electrification were under way.

That link does have a date on it (1/8/75), so yes, just before electrification (which did not take so long back then!).

I think that your problem here is getting the down line right. Perhaps better left off altogether.

I get what you're saying Joseph, but take a look at this image (below). How can that not be included??? Probably one of the most atmospheric urban shots I've ever seen. For any model, even loosely based on Kings Cross,  to appeal to me, up and down would have to be included. Thinking outside of the box, maybe the answer is two small completely separate layouts?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82097736@N00/8564849341/in/photostream/

• Like 4

I get what you're saying Joseph, but take a look at this image (below). How can that not be included??? Probably one of the most atmospheric urban shots I've ever seen. For any model, even loosely based on Kings Cross,  to appeal to me, up and down would have to be included. Thinking outside of the box, maybe the answer is two small completely separate layouts?

Capturing that last image in model form would be difficult. The atmosphere is created by it being boxed in on every side. Not good for viewing! ;)

Capturing that last image in model form would be difficult. The atmosphere is created by it being boxed in on every side. Not good for viewing! ;)

Yes, I think the compromise would be to remove the back wall of the platform and possibly all or part of the canopy. You'd still have the gradient, the retaining wall, tunnel and passenger ramp. I'm not much of a one for exact copies of the prototype, always just going instead for the general feel of a location.

• Like 2

So, we build our own in the sun!

Mike.

Probably best I just move in for a year or two, Mike...

BTW, I still owe you that beer and I'm back out in January. Estrella Levante por favor...

:yahoo:

A photo I haven't seen before, and from an unusual viewpoint. It's a very useful detail shot of the normally unseen side of the passenger access ramp and the platform ramp arrangement. Unsure of the date of this, but I would guess it predates closure by at least a decade or two (or even longer)?

post-17811-0-44429500-1511971990.jpg

Edit: Photographer unknown, so cannot credit.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 12

A question, if I may... The platform on the gradient leading up from hotel curve was Platform 16? If you take a look at the image in the link below, these are presumably Platforms 15 and 14, existing just outside of the supporting wall for the main station roof? In the later years of operation, would these two platforms have been used exclusively for parcels traffic (as per the images I've seen) or would they have been served by timetabled passenger DMUs as well?

Still trying to get my head around the station as it was in the late 60s-mid 70s - it seems to be a very complicated place.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/353965417/

• RMweb Gold

I totally agree! I can remember that sight quite well from a visit made with my father in either 1966 or 1967 (afternoon off from boarding school).

And I think you have the right solution - two layouts or rather two separate scenes joined together by a loop of track to form a roundy-roundy.

Occurs to me that JK Rowling did not need to invent Platform 9 3/4. Hogwart's Express could have departed from that platform (17?) beyond the Hotel Curve and no-one would know.

• Like 2