Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

I would like to see this in an as-built NBR state, to play nicely with my Caley 812 when it arrives. But there's plenty of time.

I did toy with the idea of modding Maude, but don't really want to pay extra for 'toot-toot'.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest estimate for arrival appears to be Feb 2019. I too hope this will be so successful that other Scottish models follow . A NBR Glen for instance or a nice Caley 4-4-0. Anyway looking forward to the J36. Currently got the NBR preserved one on order I would consider upping it to 2 if I could decide between the L&NER one or BR

Got the 812 on order too but with Bachmann as see this more as a long term aspiration!

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Latest estimate for arrival appears to be Feb 2019. I too hope this will be so successful that other Scottish models follow . A NBR Glen for instance or a nice Caley 4-4-0. Anyway looking forward to the J36. Currently got the NBR preserved one on order I would consider upping it to 2 if I could decide between the L&NER one or BR

Got the 812 on order too but with Bachmann as see this more as a long term aspiration!

Last email I had from Hattons suggested a December release but I would not dispute your gen, I did say on another thread that Model Rail 2019 could be a likely launch vehicle.  At least we are getting updates on this one, the silence from Rails/Bachman is deafening.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Last email I had from Hattons suggested a December release but I would not dispute your gen, I did say on another thread that Model Rail 2019 could be a likely launch vehicle. At least we are getting updates on this one, the silence from Rails/Bachman is deafening.

Jim

Agree Jim , at least Hornby try to keep you updated . The gen came from the Lord Nelson thread where a series of new Hornby locos had been delayed .

While delighted at the 812 my concern always was that it was Bachmann that Rails had gone to. It’ll be a great model when it arrives , but who knows the cost and when . Rails were quoting £160 and 18 months but I did get the feeling that was more in hope than something definite. The 18 months would place it as Sept 2019, but I’d wager on 2020 or even 2021, based on the 94XX and really the lack of models coming from Bachmann at the moment.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

... I too hope this will be so successful that other Scottish models follow . A NBR Glen for instance or a nice Caley 4-4-0...

No shortage of beautiful model subjects from north of the Manchester - York line . Without being too preachy about it, this all hangs on sufficient of those who want RTR models of such plunking down the cash in quantity. I too hope...

Agree Jim , at least Hornby try to keep you updated . The gen came from the Lord Nelson thread where a series of new Hornby locos had been delayed .

While delighted at the 812 my concern always was that it was Bachmann that Rails had gone to. It’ll be a great model when it arrives , but who knows the cost and when . Rails were quoting £160 and 18 months but I did get the feeling that was more in hope than something definite. The 18 months would place it as Sept 2019, but I’d wager on 2020 or even 2021, based on the 94XX and really the lack of models coming from Bachmann at the moment.

I wouldn't read too much into time taken with other projects such as the 94XX.

The 812 and G5 are commissions. They'll be right at the front of the queue.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Jason

I hope so, but if you read the Bachmann Times , that’s not really apparent

• RMweb Premium

Legend your beef with Bachmann is legendary - even on non-Bachmann topics...

Very true! Let’s hope the J36s keep me going meantime . Really looking forward to them . The J36 has always been a want ever since reading Thomas Middlemasses book Mainly Scottish Steam .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jason

On the TMC web-site for the G5 it states 'Expected release date is 15th Jun 2020'...

Anyway, re J36s (and G5s), folks might be interested to know that the current issue of Steam Days magazine (Sept 2018) has a great feature on Hawick's sub-sheds with lots of lovely period shots of said locos, plus extracts of historic OS 25" scale plans of the sheds and stations around the Borders, such as Duns and Riccarton Junction.

all the best,

Keith

That prompts a happy memory. In a long ago time when I was fit enough to walk the Pennine way in a single twelve day stretch, we overnighted at the Youth Hostel in Bellingham, in which village one of the shops had a sideline in very good b/w prints (copyright EE Smith - easy to remember as there was a sf author of the same name) showing the steam railway operation. Quite unlikely some of them, A V2 on freight proceeding through a hay meadow (track completely hidden by long grass) with a freight at a location that may have been Splashetts or Stobs was one of the most striking.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wow thanks for the link and reminder there’s an “Engine Shed “ today. The J36 looks exquisite. I’ve got the NBR one on order but think the BR one looks superb . Seriously considering it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick question . I’ve got Maude NBR on order which for me unfortunately comes with TTS and DCC fitted. Does that mean it comes with a blanking plate in the accessory pack so I can remove them easily or do I need to buy a blanking plate?

Having seen the latest update, already with 'Maude' and a single BR version on order....another two BR for renumberings may be required to further justify how stunning a model the J36 is looking to be.

If Rails can match this with the Caley 812, then we Scottish based enthusiasts are in for a good 18 months....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having seen the latest .....

If Rails can match this with the Caley 812, then we Scottish based enthusiasts are in for a good 18 months....

Don't forget TMC's NER/LNER/BR G5 0-4-4T, which ran to Kelso, a noble Scottish town, and also Duns, calling at Reston. These may be outside your sphere of operation - they almost certainly are - but they are still in Scotland!

John Storey

• RMweb Premium

Now that we've seen the J36 in decorated form in today's Engine Shed, do Hornby have two firsts with this model:

a. a snowplough included in the pack of a steam locomotive

b. a representation at the rear of the cab roof of the crew protective tarpaulin, for use on inclement days?

I'm impressed by the tender, which looks like a work of art in its own right.

John Storey

Now that we've seen the J36 in decorated form in today's Engine Shed, do Hornby have two firsts with this model:

a. a snowplough included in the pack of a steam locomotive

b. a representation at the rear of the cab roof of the crew protective tarpaulin, for use on inclement days?

I'm impressed by the tender, which looks like a work of art in its own right.

John Storey

At least one Stanier 5 issue came with a small

Snowplough in recent years.