Hornby announce the LNER J36

Garethp8873

• RMweb Premium

Now it’s January 2019, how can it be this hard for them? How is a cheap as chips, late Victorian good engine proving such a drawn out task for the oldest name in the business?

Could be delays at the factory, could be problems with the tooling machines, could be anything. Not specifically Hornbys problem.

Now it’s January 2019, how can it be this hard for them? How is a cheap as chips, late Victorian good engine proving such a drawn out task for the oldest name in the business?

I suspect the TTS version will again lapse and the early BR and LNER versions arrive around the January 2019 period.

Having seen the samples, I don't think we'll be disappointed and the wait will be worth it.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium

A quick query relating to 'Maude'... in order to put this into pre-grouping condition, what is required besides the removal of the name?

Removal of the rivets on the smokebox wrapper and front, removal of the star around the s.box dart, replacement of the safety valves with the lock-up variety (with a round base/surround). Not sure if they all had a Westinghouse or not. There'd be no vacuum brake either, which means the ejector pipe running along the left-hand side of the boiler above the handrail would have to go, as well as the connection hose on the b.beam.  

• RMweb Gold

Could be delays at the factory, could be problems with the tooling machines, could be anything. Not specifically Hornbys problem.

I'd rather they delay it a couple of months and get it right, rather than rush it out to meet an original deadline. 

Removal of the rivets on the smokebox wrapper and front, removal of the star around the s.box dart, replacement of the safety valves with the lock-up variety (with a round base/surround). Not sure if they all had a Westinghouse or not. There'd be no vacuum brake either, which means the ejector pipe running along the left-hand side of the boiler above the handrail would have to go, as well as the connection hose on the b.beam.  

If I wanted one as they were in WW1 oin the ROD which of the models is closest and what would need to be done to it? (not paint as I would repaint and decal it if necessary anyway)

If I wanted one as they were in WW1 oin the ROD which of the models is closest and what would need to be done to it? (not paint as I would repaint and decal it if necessary anyway)

Can’t tell what would be needed exactly, my ROD book only has one photo, no high enough quality. Though just having a quick shufty at the samples, I’d say the LNER one, 722, would be close enough.

• RMweb Premium

T

Do we think that perhaps the LNER one is the best option for the pre-grouping modeller?

This would by my guess, though without good photos of the model it's hard to say. It certainly seems to have the necessary flush smokebox and no vacuum ejector, and has a Westinghouse. It will just depend on how easily the red lining comes off, and whether your exact pre-grouping period requires the NBR lining as seen on Maude. Yeadon says that by 1923 an increasing number of NBR goods engines were in unlined black.

If I was going for early period pre-grouping I'd go for Maude and patch-paint after removing/adding features. If later period pre-grouping, I'd use 722, with all lining and lettering removed. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If I was going for early period pre-grouping I'd go for Maude and patch-paint after removing/adding features. If later period pre-grouping, I'd use 722, with all lining and lettering removed. 

I'm puzzled by this distinction since the Hornby model can only represent a rebuilt engine, i.e. at the very earliest post 1913. If that's not late pre-Grouping I don't know what is.  

• RMweb Premium

I'm puzzled by this distinction since the Hornby model can only represent a rebuilt engine, i.e. at the very earliest post 1913. If that's not late pre-Grouping I don't know what is.  

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I meant early in the pre-grouping lives of the J36 - i.e. when they were lined. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I meant early in the pre-grouping lives of the J36 - i.e. when they were lined.

I think there may be confusion here about time periods. As Compound2632 says, the Hornby model is of a rebuilt J36 (NBR Class C). The first engine was rebuilt in 1913. However, the first Class C was built in 1888 and at that time, they looked like this:

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/LNER-Scotland/Holmes-Locomotives/Holmes-Tender-Engines/Holme-J36/Holmes-J36-0-6-0-NBR-LNER-Days/i-djTwfcx/A

so the model can only represent members of the class in the later stages of its pre-grouping existence.

However, if  "early in the pre-grouping life" means "in the life of the rebuilt engines", then Daddyman is correct. The early rebuilds were lined, later ones may not have been.

• 1 month later...

Trying to find out when we will be seeing Haig, Rails of Sheffield are advising that it will be in stock "this week", but on the Hornby website have changed the status from pre-order to "out of stock" - sold out already?

Mine is on order from Hattons and they have advised "We are due to receive this very soon however, we do not have a specific date at the moment."

Jim