Lenz LH101, LZV200, SET101 and trade-in offer.

• RMweb Gold

Another upgrade of note is that there are V2 editions of the Gold Maxi and Silver Mini decoders. One interesting new feature of these is the ability to set different values for max speed for forwards and reverse, obviously aimed at steamers. Also the announcement states that this new feature will be made available for all existing decoders via a firmware upgrade during the course of the year. 

Have Lenz finally decided to implement CVs 66 (Forward trim) and 95 (reverse trim) that have been part of the NMRA spec for donkeys years?

Andi

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's an announcement on the German Lenz website today saying the new LH101 handset is now available.  There's an offer to part-exchange your working LH90 or LH100 for a price of €79 plus a further €10 for international postage.  I'm not sure how you set about paying so I'll send Lenz an email and ask how this works.

See (in German) https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/digitalplus-handregler-lh101.php

Embedded in the text is the link to the PDF manual, and all 100 pages of this are in German ….

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

There's an announcement on the German Lenz website today saying the new LH101 handset is now available.  There's an offer to part-exchange your working LH90 or LH100 for a price of €79 plus a further €10 for international postage.  I'm not sure how you set about paying so I'll send Lenz an email and ask how this works.

See (in German) https://www.lenz-elektronik.de/digitalplus-handregler-lh101.php

Embedded in the text is the link to the PDF manual, and all 100 pages of this are in German ….

Hi Bob

You don't actually get much more than the LH100:

Rotary Knob for speed

Routes

Club mode.

Normal or Shunting mode (?)

That's not a lot. Is there more?

I think I will stick to the LH100. :yes:

Cheers

Keith

look at the link using Chrome for an 'english' version :)

Or just put it through the Google mangler

Keith

You don't actually get much more than the LH100:

Rotary Knob for speed

Routes

Club mode.

Normal or Shunting mode (?)

That's not a lot. Is there more?

I think I will stick to the LH100. :yes:

Shunting mode is included.

There's supposed to be improved usability with quicker or easier access to things like the loco stack.

I have a feeling that the rotary knob is not just for speed control, but may also used for selecting locos in the stack and adjusting settings and in programming, but I've yet to read the manual to confirm this.

Loco naming is supposed to be coming with the LZV200 and LZV100 update, so the handset should be able to display those names.

However the new display screen is positively archaic and information is still being presented in a baffling or difficult to read format, rather than in a more intuitive way, or by using plain language and symbology.

Sadly this is an opportunity wasted and a completely out of date product IMHO.

p.s.

21101_Tasten_u_Displays_00.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

The LH101 is being advertised at €149 (£131) by a well know German shop and on-line retailer.

The SET 101 consisting of the LZV200 + LH101 is priced at €290 (£256)

Meanwhile, the LZV200 on its own is priced at €284 (£251) ?????

Go figure, as they say......!

• RMweb Premium

However the new display screen is positively archaic and information is still being presented in a baffling or difficult to read format, rather than in a more intuitive way, or by using plain language and symbology.

Sadly this is an opportunity wasted and a completely out of date product IMHO.

I would agree.

5 -10 years ago maybe it would have been a useful improvement but it is completely outclassed by newer offerings from the top makers.

Even the new LZV200 could have been a leap in functions but is only an incremental improvement.

Why only a USB interface when LAN is becoming more common? No wireless option without add-ons. defintely old hat.

Keith

EDIT added "only" which i had intended originally!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

The LH101 is being advertised at €149 (£131) by a well know German shop and on-line retailer.

The SET 101 consisting of the LZV200 + LH101 is priced at €290 (£256)

Meanwhile, the LZV200 on its own is priced at €284 (£251) ?????

Go figure, as they say......!

Yes I've noticed that too.  Methinks if I want to upgrade, then the best option is to buy a new SET 101 which would allow me to sell my existing LZV100 + LH100 on Ebay along with the 23151 interface, as the LZV200's USB interface would work for me instead. I have no need of wireless. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that the controller LH101 is now available and that there is a special offer for existing users

Now exchange LH90 or LH100: that's how it works

Send in advance your functional and intact LH90 or LH100 to us. In exchange (that is, the sent hand controller remains at Lenz) we will send you the new LH101 at a preferential price of 79 euros plus shipping domestic € 7 against invoice. 
Shipping abroad for prepayment plus 10 € shipping costs. 
An offer that you can hardly refuse ...

I wonder how this works - does it mean they will send an invoice and when paid the controller(s)? and to what address?

I wonder if A&H models the UK agent can handle this - they are not open today.

Norman

I notice that the controller LH101 is now available and that there is a special offer for existing users

Now exchange LH90 or LH100: that's how it works

Send in advance your functional and intact LH90 or LH100 to us. In exchange (that is, the sent hand controller remains at Lenz) we will send you the new LH101 at a preferential price of 79 euros plus shipping domestic € 7 against invoice. 

Shipping abroad for prepayment plus 10 € shipping costs. 

An offer that you can hardly refuse ...

I wonder how this works - does it mean they will send an invoice and when paid the controller(s)? and to what address?

I wonder if A&H models the UK agent can handle this - they are not open today.

Norman

A&H do have the new controllers in stock, I've collected mine from the post office today, sent late last week - not had a chance to test it out yet.   I didn't try and trade my LH90, trying to decide if it's still required.

Also the Lenz CV Editor software has been updated, version 1.5 is now available to download.  I've installed on a Windows 10 PC without issue.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

The LH101 manual is in German only at the moment. I asked Lenz about this and their reply was "we will have a translation in English and also a firmware for this language."

I see the new 1.5 CV-Editor has an option to update the firmware in the LH101, so if this handset is not in English yet presumably there will be an update to that fairly soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the plunge and sent my LH100 back to Lenz on July 25th with a covering letter asking if they would exchange it for a LH101, without prior notification and to my surprise DPD have just deliverd a parcel from Lenz with a nice new LH101 inside.

Excellent service from Lenz.  Just got to pay the bill now-€89.

Cheers, Mick.

• Like 2

I sent 3 LH90s back and in less than one week I have the LH101s - Lenz really have exceeded my expectations.

I took the plunge and sent my LH100 back to Lenz on July 25th with a covering letter asking if they would exchange it for a LH101, without prior notification and to my surprise DPD have just deliverd a parcel from Lenz with a nice new LH101 inside.

Excellent service from Lenz.  Just got to pay the bill now-€89.

Cheers, Mick.

Hi Mick and Norman, 

do you have a link with contact details for where you sent your old controllers in for the 101 upgrade? I may as well get this done myself.

Mark

Hi Mick and Norman, 

do you have a link with contact details for where you sent your old controllers in for the 101 upgrade? I may as well get this done myself.

Mark

I just sent them back to Lenz Elektronik GMBH, 35398 Giessen, Germany

However, a word of warning the three new ones I have do not have a menu option to change the language they are in German only, unlike the one I bought from Coastal which allows the user to select English, French or German.

So I have emailed Lenz today explaining that they are not fit for purpose and await their reply.

Norman

• RMweb Gold

I just sent them back to Lenz Elektronik GMBH, 35398 Giessen, Germany

However, a word of warning the three new ones I have do not have a menu option to change the language they are in German only, unlike the one I bought from Coastal which allows the user to select English, French or German.

So I have emailed Lenz today explaining that they are not fit for purpose and await their reply.

Norman

As I mentioned in post #19, Lenz said they would have an English version of the firmware available.  The latest CV-Editor has the ability to update LH101 firmware and there is indeed a firmware file for the LH101 included. Whether this is the right one I don't know (it's dated 9th July).

Mark,

Re. address, as Norman has replied.

Norman,

I emailed Lenz yesterday and received a reply today:

'Dear Mister Boyd,
we thank you for the e-mail.
In this first version we have no other language. In the next step we will have 4 different
languages. For this step we need some more time. We think in 4 weeks we are ready. So
you can update the handheld for your selve. We send you then a cabel with the needed
software.
Please write us a remember in 3 weeks.

Best regards
Thorsten Gradl'

Cheers, Mick.

Mark,

Re. address, as Norman has replied.

Norman,

I emailed Lenz yesterday and received a reply today:

'Dear Mister Boyd,

In this first version we have no other language. In the next step we will have 4 different

languages. For this step we need some more time. We think in 4 weeks we are ready. So

you can update the handheld for your selve. We send you then a cabel with the needed

software.

Please write us a remember in 3 weeks.

Best regards

Thorsten Gradl'

Cheers, Mick.

Thanks Mick,

I'll wait a while then until they get the language selection sorted.

Mark

This is the email I received today from Lenz

Dear Mister Clymer,
We sell in Germany in this time only items with only german language. But please contact our
distributor for the UK. He can change the software. So you will have all 4 in English.

A and H Models - Anthony Ellis
Brackley/Northants NN13 7BW - 95 High Street
Tel: +44 (1280) 701410
dccshop@hotmail.co.uk
www.aandhmodels.co.uk

Best regards
Thorsten Gradl

It would have been far,far better if Lenz had applied the patch, which I know is availbale, before sending me three German only controllers.

I'm sure they know quite well thta in England we expect equipment to be in English.  They should have sorted this properly.

Norman

I have just heard from A&H that the LZV 200 when available can be used to upgrade the software but until then only A&H have the capability. 

So I will need to send my new controllers to A&H at my cost - unfair and unproffesional of Lenz to do this.

Norman

Why is it unfair and unprofessional? You sent them direct to their office in Germany for replacement and they responded with a service that exceeded your expectations. Also Lenz doesn't say that they supply it in English, in fact all the current adverts are in German and as you bought direct from Germany rather than the UK agent it is perfectly reasonable for them to supply a German version, had you purchased from A&H it might have been unreasonable.

Why is it unfair and unprofessional? You sent them direct to their office in Germany for replacement and they responded with a service that exceeded your expectations. Also Lenz doesn't say that they supply it in English, in fact all the current adverts are in German and as you bought direct from Germany rather than the UK agent it is perfectly reasonable for them to supply a German version, had you purchased from A&H it might have been unreasonable.

It is unfair because I am expected to pay posatge to and from A&H to have the error corrected.  Lenz exported it to the UK - that as far as I am concerned is selling it in the UK and as such it should be with at least an option for English as is all their other kit, hence unprofessional. The important thing really is that I am a customer and require my purchase to have an English option.  That said, Lenz agree with me and have apoloigised to me directly. Lenz are now putting matters right with a special action and I very much appreciate their efforts in doing so as it will not cost me anything and I will remain a loyal customer.

Norman

I am glad for you that Lenz have sorted your issue however your assertion that because you live in the UK and that Lenz accepted an order from the UK that they are bound to deliver a product that is in English is wrong, very wrong and completely ignorant of trading principles.

If we turn the argument the other way around and suggest that someone in Germany orders a product from a UK company then that product should be supplied with a German interface - now you know that doesn’t happen therefore why should you have the audacity to consider that a German company should provide an English model simply because you live in England?

Ian

The customer is King, always has been and always will be – whether you export or not then understanding what your customer needs is paramount.  Fortunately, Lenz understand this very well.

I am not as you suggest ignorant and think using words such as this in an open forum is with the intention of being provactive and rude.

Norman 

• RMweb Premium

Ian

The customer is King, always has been and always will be – whether you export or not then understanding what your customer needs is paramount.  Fortunately, Lenz understand this very well.

I am not as you suggest ignorant and think using words such as this in an open forum is with the intention of being provactive and rude.

Norman 

You still don't get it! You were in the wrong. Lenz sold you exactly what you ordered, even if you did not properly understand what you thought you were getting.

Lenz which I believe is still a small family firm of approx 15 employees, were prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt and correct your error.

IMHO for that they are going beyond what they were required to do and it may well be in their policy, being a small enthusiast focussed concern, to do so.

If you think that when you make a mistake a company should always help you out, comes across as an extremely arrogant attitude.

Many companies will help, a lot won't (buyer beware and all that! :jester: )

Keith