I've seen the TOPS number 98428 discussed on another forum, but without a definitive answer as to what it is.

The details are:

Class 98/4,

Diagram 98-4FV,

1,200hp,

Weight 105t,

Length 59',

Max speed 60mph,

Brake force 62t.

7325- 98425 MBSL KIDDERMSV BRIDGNTH

31825- 98426 MBSL ALTON ROPLEY

4027- 88427

???- 98428 MBSL OFF T.O.P.S.

75029- 98429 MBSL GROSMNT GROSMNT

According to the numbering rules, the third digit shows it has the power of a class 4 and the last two numbers are it's number, if this is already allocated then it goes to the next free number (hence 31825 above).

The 98-4FV design code might be a clue, as I haven't seen another loco with it on the Wikipedia list. It's length and weights hint at a 2-6-0 or 4-4-0 tender loco.

There is a comprehensive list of known class 98 numbers here:

https://www.rcts.org.uk/about/news/98xxx.htm

So, any ideas...?

Edited by 298

• RMweb Premium

I'd suggest Repton fits the bill.

Surely Repton would be 98/5 as it is rated 5P?

Its Tops class is 98/5EV

Which it is = 98526 or is that Cheltenham?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Surely Repton would be 98/5 as it is rated 5P?

Its Tops class is 98/5EV

Which it is = 98526 or is that Cheltenham?

Keith

525 is Cheltenham. Repton is 526, and to complete the set, Stowe is 928

Class 5 locomotives, as you say :)

• RMweb Premium

Are you sure it isn't a misplaced numeral?  That's why we need long EVN/UIC numbers with check digits (q.v.)!

Well two respected lists of Tops for steam locos manage to confuse Cheltenham & Repton!

Cheltenham can't be 98525 because Black five (4)5025 is that.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Do all preserved locos have TOPS numbers or just those who are registered for mainline running? I thought it was the latter.

I have snipped this from the RCTS site on TOPS locos:

"A number of locos have been registered on the RSL for the transfer to or from a location where road access is difficult and therefore there may the need for a short shunt by rail, e.g. Didcot Railway Centre and Eastleigh Works. It should be noted that there are a number of preserved "Industrial Locomotives" which have been registered on TOPS."

So only those that may need to touch Network Rail tracks for any reason.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Ah, it's been renumbered then?

No, not as far as I know.

It was one of 3 War department locos that BR bought in 1957 (WD500-2)

Unsure of where they should go they were originally 90733-5 after the Riddles WD 8Fs but it was soon realised all 3 should go in the Stanier list but were put at the end instead of taking their places based on the allocated LMS numbers of eg. (4)8233

It only ever ran on BR as 48773 hence the logical TOPS number 98873.

Other than those three the other LMS numbered WD locos did go in their rightful place as they were in LMS stock with their proper LMS numbers1/1/48

EDIT apart from those anomalous allocations there was a LNER 8F which was still in LNER stock at 1/1/48 with an LNER number so it was absorbed as LNER loco 3554

48705-48772 were never owned by the LMS, they were built for the LNER and numbered by them. However after the war they were sent to the LMS on loan and all given LMS numbers sitting at the end of the proper LMS ones (except 3554 above) which hadn't arrived by nationalisation although had an allocated LMS series number which it duly took later.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

It only ever ran on BR as 48773 hence the logical TOPS number 98873./quote]

Hate to disagree, but it did run on BR as 8233. In October 1987, the army held an open weekend at Long Marston to celebrate, I think, 200 years of the Royal Engineer. 8233, as she was then numbered, was invited and made the journey engine and support coach, working various trains, passenger and goods, on the site. She did not haul passenger trains on BR, but needed the TOPS number 98833 for the L.E. movement.

• RMweb Premium

Hate to disagree, but it did run on BR as 8233. In October 1987, the army held an open weekend at Long Marston to celebrate, I think, 200 years of the Royal Engineer. 8233, as she was then numbered, was invited and made the journey engine and support coach, working various trains, passenger and goods, on the site. She did not haul passenger trains on BR, but needed the TOPS number 98833 for the L.E. movement.

Why was it's TOPS number changed? Surely It should have kept it's originally allocated one?

BTW the RCTS list does not equate exactly with some of the other TOPS lists.

such as http://www.uksteam.info/tours/tops.pdf

Keith

Edited by melmerby