Anonymous Black 5

Killybegs

Definitely a photoshop out the number job, but enough evidence there for those familiar with the 5's, in particular Ian Riley's and the Jacobite operation, to conclude which locomotive it is.

The location is Loch Dubh, on the decent from Polnish and just East of the typical Loch Dubh shot for Eastbound trains.  Certainly a Jacobite service, which limits the Black 5's used with maroon coaching stock to :

No. 45407
No. 44871
No. 45231
No. 44767
No. 45212
No. 45305

767 can be eliminated due to the Stephenson Valve Gear. 
212 eliminated due to that locomotive having a riveted tender, and also the position of the headboard on 2017's runs was on the smokebox iron of the 1960's WCML OHLE requirement, so would have seen the headboard protruding from the edge of the smokebox.
231 can be eliminated due to the rear of the tender lining ends before the handrail on 231, while Riley engines sport the lining extending past the handrail. 
305 can be eliminated due to it only appearing in LMS Black during any Fort William runs.  Not 100% sure if it did or did not appear on maroon stock, hence inclusion.

That leaves both No. 407 and 871.  This is further justified by the speedometer being visible in the cab window, sourced from Class 37's and fitted on to the 5's during Riley ownership.  The final give away then that it's 44871 in the photo, is the tender dome.  407 sports the curved top version, where as 871 features the flat top as seen.

• Like 3

They've built more and never told us. This one obviously a product of Lockheed's Skunk Works (Bury Lancs. division).

Stealth capacity, anti radar paint job as a trial before Flying Scotsman is so treated to combat trespass inclined loons.

Now I've given you this information, I shall have to ask that you supply your names and addresses for rendition to a lovely resort in Cuba.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

Obviously somebody at the Beeb was concerned about product placement advertising appearing on the front cover.

The Beeb would never allow itself to be seen to be engaging in such practices.

Next time there is a Spitfire on the front cover, the RAF roundel will be airbrushed out and of course, any cars will need any identifying badges removed.

Any photo of a high street will have to have all the shop names deleted.

Yet if a celebrity wants to plug a tour, a book or a film, that is fine in any number of interviews.

Has the world gone mad or is it just me?

Apologies for sprinting off at a tangent - but that's an interesting tender cab. I presume that's a preservation addition?

To actually answer your question (seems to have been rather missed lol), it looks like a regular old tarp form the cab to the tender to me, they were common throughout all ages of steam loco. its not actually a tender cab at all

Snip

That leaves both No. 407 and 871.  This is further justified by the speedometer being visible in the cab window, sourced from Class 37's and fitted on to the 5's during Riley ownership.  The final give away then that it's 44871 in the photo, is the tender dome.  407 sports the curved top version, where as 871 features the flat top as seen.

It was the tender water dome that intrigued me. Would I be right in thinking this was over the water scoop mechanism, and is actually an obsolete fitting, so why fit it ? Were thre any "flat top" domes ?

Thanks very much for your post

It is to do with the water scoop: the water travelled to the top of the dome and was then cascaded downwards into the tender proper. But the dome also had a function in providing structural strength to the rear platform behind the coal bunker.

Obviously somebody at the Beeb was concerned about product placement advertising appearing on the front cover.

Next time there is a Spitfire on the front cover, the RAF roundel will be airbrushed out and of course, any cars will need any identifying badges removed.

Yet if a celebrity wants to plug a tour, a book or a film, that is fine in any number of interviews.

BBC Worldwide sold the Radio Times and numerous other magazines back in 2011. It is owned by Immediate Media co. http://www.immediate.co.uk/business-division/radiotimes/

Surprised they haven't airbrushed out the smoke and coal in case it offends someone.

If anyone has bought some of the DeAgonstino railway books that are forming a new part work series may have noticed that the inside cover depicts a similarly numberless and crestless Black 5 crossing Glenfinnan viaduct.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure where the location is, but is it due to the image being reversed and the number/crest has been removed for that reason? Just a thought

I appreciate it is most likely on a Jacobite working

Edited by Ramrig

Probably didn't want to fall foul of data protection by revealing the number and owner.....

Dave.

Sadly, there is possibly some foundation to this. Having had to delve into the ridiculous bum-covering components of rules intended to meet GDPR added to catch all possibilities I wouldn't have been surprised to see the trees airbrushed out as living entities that had not signed release forms to be included in the image due to being readily identifiable due to their geographical location blah, blah. The midges have been photoshopped out though.

• Like 1

British Railways? :)

I meant the current owner in preservation (identifiable by the number for those that know the loco). Alternatively I wonder if there are reasons to do with the picture quality - i.e. the numbers and markings didn't come out well (blurred) when the photo was taken so were removed to maintain the overall quality of the photo.

• RMweb Gold

Most probably the printer didn't want to pay loyalties to the owner of the photographer/locomotive.

I've had this one before, when other companies have used photos of my installation work without permission.

Cheers,

Ian.