Class 116 diesel multiple units

chrisf

And Bachmann still believe they would make more sales from a 117 than a 116.

Had this thread started before Bachmann started out on their Cl.117 project I suspect they may have formed an opinion that a Cl.116 would have been a better business proposition.

• RMweb Premium

Lima did as well, and some of the Bachmann decision to re-do the 117 may have been informed by the success of LIma's effort, which didn't even have the benefit of a DMS.

They sold more due to DMS donors

• RMweb Gold

My apologies for my part in encouraging the wishlisting, Chris.  Like Brian, I have no need for a 116 on my layout; nearly but not quite the right location, though I could justify a bubble car.  It does not matter to me which unit Bachmann produces.

From memory, the interiors of the "4 lamp" batch were a pinky "buff" laminate, which included the First Class where fitted. The later batches had light grey laminate in second class and a pale yellow laminate in First Class. See the pictures here:  

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-116/refurbishment

Yes, this is refurbished stock, but the upper body sides and partitions were retained. Refurbishment gave the dark blue lower side panels, the brown "aerowalk" (vinyl with little bobbly bumps) behind the luggage racks, the blue lino and the fluorsecent lamps.

Somewhere in my vast library I have a copy of the schedule of finishes for refurbished Class 116s - this allowed for renewal of the original interior laminate with a sandstone colour laminate if the original was damaged - but if one part of the saloon needed renewal then the whole saloon was to be changed.

As expected, there is little to report for 1967.  Perhaps surprisingly, much of it deals with liveries, but there must have been many more observations than made it into the hallowed pages of the Railway Observer.  51137+59447+51150, now without seats for parcels traffic, acquitted blue livery but we are not told whether the ends had all-over yellow or merely a panel.  It was reported that the former first class compartments in the trailer retained the ‘1’ markings.  On 19th August 50918 was noted at Saltash in blue with full yellow end misformed with 50868, still in green - not the lighter shade, surely?  In md September a Scottish observer noted 50826, 50879 and no trailer at St Rollox works in blue and W50825+59333+50878 in green at Hamilton Central.  Back in the West Country, 50854+59346+50907, 50088+50130 and 50848+50901 were noted in blue with yellow panels and somewhere in Tyseley’s hinterland were seen 50052+59002+50107 in blue with full yellow end.

Set numbers for the 116s in Scotland were given in February 1967 as 134 – 142 for those allocated to Hamilton and 238 – 240 for those allocated to Leith Central.  Useful as this information is, it stops short of identifying which sets carried which numbers. The search continues.

In March 1967 the three Hawksworth trainers were withdrawn from Reading.  One instance of such a vehicle working with 116s was recorded and there may have been others.  On the subject of withdrawals, 50096 and 59025 sustained collision damage at a so far unknown location.  They were withdrawn in October 1967 and cut up at Swindon.

Much more happened in 116 land during 1968.   Look upon what is set out above as the calm before the storm …

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With regards to the Hawksworth trailers, were they fitted with quick release vacuum or was the high side vac pipe merely a through pipe?

Also were they fitted with DMU heaters or just used in the summer?

• RMweb Gold

Russ

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue!  The trailers were used in the winter though.

Chris

Cheers Chris

So they must have had some form of heating. Am I right in thinking they were SKs? So install ducting to all compartments for heating would be a big job

• RMweb Gold

Would they? Why not install the same system as used in DMU trailers?

Would be quite a big job too fit the DMU system especially in compartment vehicles as each would need a duct and then there is the fuel tanks etc

• RMweb Gold

Would be quite a big job too fit the DMU system especially in compartment vehicles as each would need a duct and then there is the fuel tanks etc

Could they install electric heating?

Cheers Chris

So they must have had some form of heating. Am I right in thinking they were SKs? So install ducting to all compartments for heating would be a big job

Here are my two shots of the Hawksworth DMU cars. My understanding was that the fast Oxfords (which used Gloucester 3-car Cross-country sets) required some compartment accommodation which wasn't available in the DMU cars. The shot at Slough shows how little work was done on them, since even the droplights haven't been painted and remain maroon. This picture also shows the car in a suburban DMU, which looks to be a 116, although they were not common in our area as I recall. (We viewed the 116s as very 'down-market' compared to 'our' 117s!) From memory, although the cars ran in light green 119 units, they were painted dark green and so didn't match anyway. Might as well have left them maroon! Note that the other vehicle on the Swindon dump is an 'ROD' 2-8-0 tender. As a spotter I thought it was MSWJR, but sadly not. (CJL)

post-1062-0-95337300-1530464553_thumb.jpeg

post-1062-0-88471400-1530464590_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 11

Here are my two shots of the Hawksworth DMU cars. My understanding was that the fast Oxfords (which used Gloucester 3-car Cross-country sets) required some compartment accommodation which wasn't available in the DMU cars. The shot at Slough shows how little work was done on them, since even the droplights haven't been painted and remain maroon. This picture also shows the car in a suburban DMU, which looks to be a 116, although they were not common in our area as I recall. (We viewed the 116s as very 'down-market' compared to 'our' 117s!) From memory, although the cars ran in light green 119 units, they were painted dark green and so didn't match anyway. Might as well have left them maroon! Note that the other vehicle on the Swindon dump is an 'ROD' 2-8-0 tender. As a spotter I thought it was MSWJR, but sadly not. (CJL)

In the last shot, is that the roof of a D600 we can see?

• RMweb Gold

In the last shot, is that the roof of a D600 we can see?

I thought that at first but it appears to be something unfront of the coaches ,maybe a spare cab for something

Set numbers for the 116s in Scotland were given in February 1967 as 134 – 142 for those allocated to Hamilton and 238 – 240 for those allocated to Leith Central. 

Chris

Hmmmmm....  How long were the Leith Central sets there for?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Russ

It they had gone to all the trouble of fitting them out to run within DMU sets and I cannot see them not installing heating. Swindon did fit compartment inter-city DMU trailers with heating. I am trying to locate decent photos showing the underframe gubbins on theses coaches to see if a DMU heater can be seen.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder if they were done on the cheap with just the MU cables and through pipes for vac high side and control air.

Having said that I've just had another look at Chris's pictures and the RCH cables seem to have been removed indicating they must have rewired the lighting circuits to work from the DMU circuit or maybe you had to turn the light on separately on these vehicles

• RMweb Gold

I thought that at first but it appears to be something unfront of the coaches ,maybe a spare cab for something

Looks like a van with the end painted pale blue - and two vents giving the impression of cab windows.  I doubt the D6XX would have any where near C Shop at Swindon when that picture was taken.

• Like 1