At last some new 33s

owentherail

33 042 arrived today and to be fair not quite as bad weathering on the nose as 33 012 but still a bit odd.

A little bit heavy around the marker lights will probably give it a wipe to lessen the dirt.

IMG_1586.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bazil31 said:

33 042 arrived today and to be fair not quite as bad weathering on the nose as 33 012 but still a bit odd.

A little bit heavy around the marker lights will probably give it a wipe to lessen the dirt.

You are right, that looks a lot better. Looks like the livery application is spot on for that loco which also retained its marker lights.

Roy

My 33063 turned up today. I am happy with it, nice little loco.

Slight flaw with my plan to make is as current though.

The mainline logo on one side is where the nameplates are!

I am thinking that they had to move the mainline logo in preservation as the nameplates were already mounted there perhaps. (Edit, no it looks like Heljan put it in the wrong place unless it moved at some point, pic below)

33063 & 37714

20200523_161109.jpg.eaf0e4d2ffe8f303f6bf50495ea54c59.jpg

So I am going to have to re-evaluate what I am going to do! How easy should the mainline logo come off? It would seem finding a transfer the right size will be difficult too.

Interestingly the Lima model had the logo in the same place as it is now:

lima-l204705-br-class-33-diesel-33063_360_f0787f8e6e20fd53d61a9059d7d723b9.jpg.9fe971a4f4680e3c56edb74c4c0cc222.jpg

And there it is in 1996 so it would seem Heljan have dropped one here....

Class33_33063_Stewarts_Lane_shed_30_November_1996

Having now done a bit more research into transfers of the logo, as to begin with it seemed there wasn't anything available (seems the 33s had a uniquely small Mainline logo, I presume to fit between windows), a logo on a 4mm 37 is 18x27.5mm according to Fox Transfers' website. So I have asked them if a 2mm one is about the same size as the 4mm 33 at approximately 8.5x13mm assuming Heljan scaled it right. If it's something like I would expect it to work fine as I aren't going to care to within a mm or so I don't think!

20200523_185742.jpg.68ccd994284e6947bf594db7c431e18d.jpg

20200523_185835.jpg.c9cb1b70ce538bdd59004da6013e0eec.jpg

Edited by TomScrut

On 21/05/2020 at 22:31, meatloaf said:

It should be easy enough to remove the logo with T cut and a cotton bud without damaging the paint beneath.

It looks a smaller area for a standard size logo to fit between the window and the grills.

I agree it is a shame Heljan didn't get this right in the first place you shouldn't have to start altering the position of logos on a brand new model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah me too, I can't believe I didn't notice TBH! How on earth do they make these mistakes? :mda:

I asked the same question a few posts back and that's why I haven't purchased any or primarily D6515 & 33029 and this is the same mob taking on the iconic Class 47 in OO...how Bachmann or Hornby allowed that to happen  God only knows.

I thought Heljan had appointed a UK Rep to stop these mistakes from happening?

4 minutes ago, bazil31 said:

Sorry I wasn't meant to be quoting not sure why it did that.

Thanks I was scratching my head!

I presume T cut original is what people use? Completely new to this but if the transfers are the right size ish I think I am going to have a go.

Edited by TomScrut

23 minutes ago, dave56 said:

Do the DRS twins have led headlights?

I am kinda disappointed that they dont have anything more than forward lights and headcode illumination. You'd think if they did LEDs they could improve on that by having red or white up into the headcodes to simulate blinds?

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am kinda disappointed that they dont have anything more than forward lights and headcode illumination. You'd think if they did LEDs they could improve on that by having red or white up into the headcodes to simulate blinds?

That is disappointing ! 

I have 33030 from 2006 and comparing mine with the new version the side and top grilles appear to be the wrong colour, my ones are black the new version are maroon, a quick check on flickr seems to back this up.

Edited by dave56

3 minutes ago, dave56 said:

a quick check on flickr

That's the annoying thing. The information is easily accessible. A pic of 33063 back in 1996 wasn't that easy to come by but if it had been my job to design the graphics I'd have persisted until I had a pic of both sides of the loco!

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Thanks I was scratching my head!

I presume T cut original is what people use? Completely new to this but if the transfers are the right size ish I think I am going to have a go.

I have done this with a cotton bud and metal polish on some Bachmann  TTA tanks and it worked just fine the paint beneath was unharmed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

That's the annoying thing. The information is easily accessible. A pic of 33063 back in 1996 wasn't that easy to come by but if it had been my job to design the graphics I'd have persisted until I had a pic of both sides of the loco!

Let's be honest, Heljan make glaring errors even when there are umpteen photos of a livery.  O gauge Loadhaul Class 60 anyone...  :rolleyes: 

• Agree 1

Good spot on 33063s logo, I didn't notice it either ! Lucky I plan to remove one side anyway and stick Construction Sector logo on it, but was going to be a tidier job than what it will be now as no doubt the sheen will show where the old Mainline logo sits. Some matt varnish to the rescue hopefully.

As others have said, these livery errors are very frustrating, why isn't it checked!?

I have asked them on Facebook since they conveniently posted about them.

They claimed that it is in a different place on one side in preservation than it was when working for Mainline. I went back at them with the photo above of that side from 96 and they have gone quiet.

• Funny 1

39 minutes ago, SouthernMafia said:

Lucky I plan to remove one side anyway and stick Construction Sector logo on it

Why is that out of interest? Is it a halfway house on its restoration liveries?

The nameplates will be different from side to side if that's the case too won't they?

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I did a bit of rewiring on mine to simulate the blinds. It’s not perfect but it does the job. 

C109C4EE-3B4B-4B76-AEE2-7C6918F1E01E.jpeg

B4A5A446-C47F-48B4-9C24-D458139CD1B5.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

My 33063 turned up today. I am happy with it, nice little loco.

Slight flaw with my plan to make is as current though.

The mainline logo on one side is where the nameplates are!

I am thinking that they had to move the mainline logo in preservation as the nameplates were already mounted there perhaps. (Edit, no it looks like Heljan put it in the wrong place unless it moved at some point, pic below)

33063 & 37714

20200523_161109.jpg.eaf0e4d2ffe8f303f6bf50495ea54c59.jpg

So I am going to have to re-evaluate what I am going to do! How easy should the mainline logo come off? It would seem finding a transfer the right size will be difficult too.

Interestingly the Lima model had the logo in the same place as it is now:

lima-l204705-br-class-33-diesel-33063_360_f0787f8e6e20fd53d61a9059d7d723b9.jpg.9fe971a4f4680e3c56edb74c4c0cc222.jpg

And there it is in 1996 so it would seem Heljan have dropped one here....

Class33_33063_Stewarts_Lane_shed_30_November_1996

Having now done a bit more research into transfers of the logo, as to begin with it seemed there wasn't anything available (seems the 33s had a uniquely small Mainline logo, I presume to fit between windows), a logo on a 4mm 37 is 18x27.5mm according to Fox Transfers' website. So I have asked them if a 2mm one is about the same size as the 4mm 33 at approximately 8.5x13mm assuming Heljan scaled it right. If it's something like I would expect it to work fine as I aren't going to care to within a mm or so I don't think!

20200523_185742.jpg.68ccd994284e6947bf594db7c431e18d.jpg

20200523_185835.jpg.c9cb1b70ce538bdd59004da6013e0eec.jpg

Interestingly, when I needed mainline logos for a 37, the ones fox sent didn’t fit and over run the grilles. They then sent me smaller ones - I’d wager they were 33 ones. I’ve probably still got some if you want me to measure them ? 

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’d wager they were 33 ones. I’ve probably still got some if you want me to measure them ? 

Yes please that would be useful. They don't list any 33 ones though, they do some ones for a 31 that are slightly too big IIRC so they could be those?

5 hours ago, 66738 said:

I did a bit of rewiring on mine to simulate the blinds. It’s not perfect but it does the job. 

C109C4EE-3B4B-4B76-AEE2-7C6918F1E01E.jpeg

B4A5A446-C47F-48B4-9C24-D458139CD1B5.jpeg

That's interesting but I presume it won't work on these, there is just one bulb and it drives the lower markers, headlight and blinds so without splitting the light tunnel somehow it will be awkward.

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Why is that out of interest? Is it a halfway house on its restoration liveries?

The nameplates will be different from side to side if that's the case too won't they?

I don't want a restoration model. It didn't carry nameplates when out in the real world, and was in Construction livery until sometime in 95/96, so this allows me to model both livery variations I want on the same loco, I just turn it round since you can't see both sides of the loco at the same time.