Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Looking good. However, the smokebox door numberplate on the BR liveried one still seems to be a bit high in relation to the hinge strap. I wonder how easy that will be for us to fix ourselves?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LU Standard Stock said:

I agree, and I like seeing them, but I would always think starting with the more common liveries that more people could use would make sense and then release the pretty ones afterwards. ;)

I vaguely remember this being discussed in another thread. Th counter point was that if they release all of the 'colourful' and 'pretty' liveries first, they are more likely to sell to people who want one just 'coz. After that they can release the work-a-day liveries that are slightly less exciting to look at e.g wartime black.

• Like 1

Guest LU Standard Stock

Fair enough, and it's not like I'm in a hurry. If a wartime livery one is ever done I'll get it, if it isn't I wont lose sleep over it.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann, at least, seem to prefer to release their coaches in everything but the 'most wanted' BR maroon first, then wait to release the maroon ones later. I think they've done that with the Portholes and the Thompsons.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Bachmann, at least, seem to prefer to release their coaches in everything but the 'most wanted' BR maroon first, then wait to release the maroon ones later. I think they've done that with the Portholes and the Thompsons.

They seem to be hold outs on the Malachite green too! :D 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stonetown said:

@Edwardian Thank you for the additional pictures! Has anything been said about the coal railings for the A1X Terriers? They are still significantly out of proportion and in my eyes the biggest distraction.

There have been some minor physical tweaks as a result of the livery sample review, but that was more a case of ensuring the right combination of parts for each version.  I suspect the bunker rails will be as you now see them, having been revised, I believe, after their first iteration. 

• Like 1

Was just having a chat to someone about how long these early built steam engines lasted. The Bluebell Railway's Fenchurch is 147 years old next month. 

147 years. And although currently awaiting overhaul I believe? It is still effectively earning a living. 147 years later. Isn't that incredible? Engineering at its finest. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

Printed Coaches.....hmmmmm

Looking forward to mine even if they have to stay in the boxes.

Rails and Hattons are really doing interesting things in the market and Dapol for that matter.

And that final comment - more surprises at Warley.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Was just having a chat to someone about how long these early built steam engines lasted. The Bluebell Railway's Fenchurch is 147 years old next month. 

147 years. And although currently awaiting overhaul I believe? It is still effectively earning a living. 147 years later. Isn't that incredible? Engineering at its finest

I find it amazing. When we visited the bluebell my partner who only has a passing knowledge of railways from her grandad and dad didn’t realise how old some actually was till she saw the builders plate on fenchchurch and 488. Amazing that 488 even survived at all. Isn’t Fenchurch one the oldest operational steam locomotives in Britain. I know the design of the Beattie well tanks are older but both survivors was built after Fenchurch. Back in topic I’m gonna pre-order one the ex isle Wight terriers I think. 

big james. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Big James said:

I find it amazing. When we visited the bluebell my partner who only has a passing knowledge of railways from her grandad and dad didn’t realise how old some actually was till she saw the builders plate on fenchchurch and 488. Amazing that 488 even survived at all. Isn’t Fenchurch one the oldest operational steam locomotives in Britain. I know the design of the Beattie well tanks are older but both survivors was built after Fenchurch. Back in topic I’m gonna pre-order one the ex isle Wight terriers I think. 

big james. 

I believe the oldest working engine at the moment is Furness Railway number 20 ( another attractive small loco) which I believe was built in the early 1860s

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JeremyKarl said:

But also not working (as boiler expired 2018)?

Hopefully just the certificate rather than the boiler itself. ;)

I should have remembered that as I was lucky enough to have had a hand on the regulator of Furness No.20 and Bellerophon in the same year.

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I should have remembered that as I was lucky enough to have had a hand on the regulator of Furness No.20 and Bellerophon in the same year.

Showing your age there Andy, no wonder this keen interest in Pre-Grouping and the War

You probably remember the actual Peaky Blinders too

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And that final comment - more surprises at Warley.

I don't know if I can take anymore surprises! (I can, I definitely can)

Thanks @AY Mod for posting that video. It's great to see the passionate people that are part of the teams bringing us these fantastic new models. It will be interesting to see what comes from Warley, and the 'all important' January announcements.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

There have been some minor physical tweaks as a result of the livery sample review, but that was more a case of ensuring the right combination of parts for each version.  I suspect the bunker rails will be as you now see them, having been revised, I believe, after their first iteration. 

That's a shame, it looks so obviously wrong that it totally ruins the look of those versions. Seems very silly when they've gone to such efforts to get the tiny details right!

I also agree that the smoke box number plate is too high, but hopefully that will be easier to fix - it should be centered on the upper hinge.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

Depends on your definition of 'working' ...... she blew a tube on her Bluebell visit in March and hasn't steamed since.

Thank you for the update - that rules out 30587 then.  Maybe I was right first time around when I said 62 Martello?  At least it's a Terrier, in a thread about Terriers...

Pete T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

On a global scale, you can ride behind Fairy Queen, built by Kitson in 1855 

Crikey.  Even assuming it's a bit of a Paddy's hammer (or Trigger's broom) by now, they got their money's worth out of that bit of classic Leeds engineering then, didn't they?

Pete T.