Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

13 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Grrr, going by the video, the awful cab roof/backwall component join is still there; for me this is the weakest part of the model, somwhat like the boiler side join on a Hornby rebuilt Bulleid. Hornby can mould the cab roof in one piece, why not Dapol; it seems a hangover from the O Gauge Dapol model. The join runs along the back of the roof dome (just about OK) but then cuts throug the flat edge of the model. Especially on white-roofed LBSCR locos, this will be very visible.

Video shown here. Runs beautifully, detail looks very fine, and has wonderful character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMjy_oVroE

Isn't that the original EP from March on the video not the latest one?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

589639550_SouthernSample.jpg.b382b4c850ea85e55541cd28af857134.jpg

As a little tease please find attached a shot of the Southern Terrier. 

Be aware, as we have stated before, these are only samples which have been heavily handled, poked and pulled (they also arrive unboxed in bubble wrap :o).

Good, to be honest we want to know how it stands up to handling and in a stock box ;) 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2019 at 08:53, No Decorum said:

It looks superb although to my eye the finish of the coupling rods looks a little odd. I hope they’ll be bare metal and not painted.

I hope so too, though I interpret the picture as showing bare metal, so I guess we'll see.

As I understand it, in Southern days the rods were unpainted.  Greased steel is, however, not an easy effect to reproduce, so I think that bare metal will do fine. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I hope so too, though I interpret the picture as showing bare metal, so I guess we'll see.

As I understand it, in Southern days the rods were unpainted.  Greased steel is, however, not an easy effect to reproduce, so I think that bare metal will do fine. 

The usual way to make metal rods look more prototypical is not to paint them - instead you take the ‘bare metal’ sheen off the via chemical blackening. It’s one of the things that lets the side down when it comes to Bachman’s excellent H2 for example, those shinny metal rods screen ‘toy’ rather than scale model.

While obviously bare metal may cut production costs it does rather spoil the end product.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The usual way to make metal rods look more prototypical is not to paint them - instead you take the ‘bare metal’ sheen off the via chemical blackening. It’s one of the things that lets the side down when it comes to Bachman’s excellent H2 for example, those shinny metal rods screen ‘toy’ rather than scale model.

While obviously bare metal may cut production costs it does rather spoil the end product.

I think you’re right. I confess that I probably prefer shiny bare metal just because I’ve become used to it.

Looking at this great pan shot of 32678, the bare metal finish is not all that bad, certainly colour wise.

What is clear is that the rods are a bit thick on the model, which probably compounds the problem of finish. Doubtless this is a mechanical compromise given the size of everything on these locos

32678_20190222-_RH14947

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Looking at this great pan shot of 32678, the bare metal finish is not all that bad, certainly colour wise.

What is clear is that the rods are a bit thick on the model, which probably compounds the problem of finish. Doubtless this is a mechanical compromise given the size of everything on these locos

32678_20190222-_RH14947

Yes, I don't know how much you'd want them "blackened"

Another point I think worth noting about this latest Rails sample is that the coupling rods now include the characteristic bow shape of the prototype rods; clearly seen in your picture.  The first Rails samples we saw had parallel rods.

This was one of the matters fed back on, so thanks and 'well done' to Rails for making this refinement. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2019 at 11:35, Edwardian said:

Yes, I don't know how much you'd want them "blackened"

Another point I think worth noting about this latest Rails sample is that the coupling rods now include the characteristic bow shape of the prototype rods; clearly seen in your picture.  The first Rails samples we saw had parallel rods.

This was one of the matters fed back on, so thanks and 'well done' to Rails for making this refinement. 

Just enough to take the ' sparkling tinplate' effect off them. Obviously having them too dark looks wrong too.

The point is connecting rods etc are not reflective - yet thats what you tend to get with shiny bare metal in 00 scale. The presence of lubricants (and the paraffin used to 'polish' them) means that that light is more diffused on the real thing and you lose that reflectivity.

It also needs to be membered that the generally clean and polished look of Heritage railway locos is not representative of how they would have looked in everyday service - a point those who dislike Heritage railways as a modelling prototype have made in the past.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Agree 1

Yes, the mucky sheen of steel rods might be hard to reproduce, but I would agree that the shine should be taken off them if possible. 

Being Southern Maunsel livery, I think that the wheels should be green, the axle ends black and the rods steel.  I hope I have that right.

Now for the exciting news......

With our exclusive Terriers now in production and the latest batch of samples arriving we couldn't hold the excitement any longer,
We are pleased to announce six additional variants including the highly requested Isle of Wight versions!
All models are in production now and will be available late October onwards.
View the full range of Terriers available to Pre-Order HERE

TERRIERSADDITIONAL.jpg.6daaaae80be70228ab53e950996d6e23.jpg

As with the original versions, these are available to order DCC Ready, DCC Fitted and DCC Sound fitted! 

The DCC Ready and fitted versions will come with a speaker pre-fitted so should sound ever be required it is simply a case of adding a decoder.

All models also feature a flickering firebox

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for updating us Oliver. They look very nice indeed, and I look forward to seeing, and buying, final versions :)

Edited by Ian J.
Smiley
  • Agree 1