Jump to content

Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge


Hal Nail
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, D6775 said:

Having had a good look at one of these at Telford I may well be very tempted, I was going to resist but they're very nice. Now how to justify one in early 90's Scotland!

Did you look at the Heljan 121 as well by any chance? I’ve not seen any mention of it but it was in the middle of what looked at first glance like a 3 car 117 (going from a photo on their Facebook page). 

 

Interested to know how they compare.

Edited by Hal Nail
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Did you look at the Heljan 121 as well by any chance? I’ve not seen any mention of it but it was in the middle of what looked at first glance like a 3 car 117 (going from a photo on their Facebook page). 

 

Interested to know how they compare.

 

Said photo

 

359A2819-141C-459A-9A27-8799B9D575EF.jpeg.63d01668696040a70b07f40a33801c4c.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/09/2019 at 08:29, Hal Nail said:

Did you look at the Heljan 121 as well by any chance? I’ve not seen any mention of it but it was in the middle of what looked at first glance like a 3 car 117 (going from a photo on their Facebook page). 

 

Interested to know how they compare.

 

I'll be honest, I never even noticed it, just assumed it was a 3 Car 117. I'm surprised they never got pinched to photograph on our photo plank though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yesterday at Warley I enquired on the Dapol stand about the availability of the Class 121/122 and 117 DMUs.

 

They told me that there had been a problem with the initial prototypes from the factory and that all of those DMUs had gone back into redesign and re-tooling. They will be all the better for it, they said.

 

They are now not expected until at least the middle of 2020.

 

(So I went over to Ellis Clark and spent the saved pennies on a couple of nice BR Mk1 Suburbans :D)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Fastdax said:

They told me that there had been a problem with the initial prototypes from the factory and that all of those DMUs had gone back into redesign and re-tooling.

They've moved on a long way from the original prototype. Was this just an explanation for the lengthly process rather than a brand new problem?

Edited by Hal Nail
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

They've moved on a long way from the original prototype. Was this just an explanation for the lengthly process rather than a brand new problem?

 

The chap I spoke to (didn't get his name) implied that there had been a problem which prevented the planned release this year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Fastdax said:

 

The chap I spoke to (didn't get his name) implied that there had been a problem which prevented the planned release this year.

 

Its a pity we dont have someone from Dapol who can answer our questions as there just seem to be delays and more delays. Look at the Mk 1s and all the issues with the sides and having to retool. Heljan have someone now and their input is very useful.

Alan

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mixed feelings on having a pr person. The delay doesn't actually affect us so knowing why is not that critical either. If they are going to spend money then an extra researcher might be more beneficial!

 

In fairness to Dapol, given the high cost of retooling which we've always been told previously is prohibitive, I am quite pleased they are apprently putting quality first. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know what’s happening with the release of Dapol’s 121 & 122 O gauge DMU’s? I appreciate everything going on in the present times, but these seem to have dropped off the radar, to the extent I could be forgiven for thinking I dreamt these had ever been announced! Not meant as a criticism at all - just someone who is very eager to get his hands on quite a few of these! 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a decorated sample at Kettering early in March so they do exist. Having anticipated maybe having one myself as a 'nice to have' model, I was actually rather underwhelmed by it. 

The front looks too flat, and the glazing is awfully 'prismatic'.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Saw a decorated sample at Kettering early in March so they do exist. Having anticipated maybe having one myself as a 'nice to have' model, I was actually rather underwhelmed by it. 

The front looks too flat, and the glazing is awfully 'prismatic'.

It does say further up this thread that there was a delay to the middle of this year at the earliest (and that pre covid) due to retooling according to a Dapol rep, although I've not seen that news anywhere else.

 

Not sure, if that is the case, if the ones on display in March are post retool or the originals.

Edited by Hal Nail
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to hear from Dapol what is happening with the class 121 and 122, as this has been going on for so long now. I do understand we are living through hard times, but they were late before all this virus started.  so come on Dapol tell us what is happening, and a idea of when we will see these.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I spoke to the guy at Tower Models about these a couple of months ago and he was predicting it will be quite late in the year before they arrive - possibly October or November. Interestingly I received an email from Hattons a few weeks ago with an update on the Heljan version and the release date for these is slated as Q3 2020. I would have thought that Dapol would want to get in there first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Hal Nail changed the title to Dapol 121 and 122 dmus in O gauge

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...