Markits 16mm wheels

Hi

I'm after a bit of advice I cant seem to be able to buy 16mm markit/Romford driving wheels for my 16xx anywhere does anyone no why they seem to be unavailable? Also scalelink make 16mm driving wheels but I've not used them before are they any good?

Kind regards Neil

Have you tried Markits direct ?

If they're in the catalogue they're usually in the post within 24/48 hours once you've ordered.

24/48 hours is a bit optimistic! I have had an unfulfilled order with Markits for a month now. No response to emails or answering of the phone. Be warned.

Tim T

They are unavailable.

I happened to speak to the business owner earlier this week when trying to order some.  Apparently he is out of stock, and has had them on order from his supplier since last July!

He has 15mm wheels in stock, but not 16mm.

• RMweb Gold

24/48 hours is a bit optimistic! I have had an unfulfilled order with Markits for a month now. No response to emails or answering of the phone. Be warned.

Tim T

He can be a bit odd on the phone, but I've not had that sort of service before.  I checked my notebook and 3 orders this year all with me within a week.

I know they are not as easy to fit, try Gibsons

Or I know Roxey Mouldings sell Markit wheels, Charley who sold DC kits also sold Markit wheels, juts phone the traders

Before I dropped modelling OO about 2 years ago, I tried to buy some Markits from Roxey and I was told he would prefer to not deal with that again as he had too many people place orders and change their mind.  I even offered to pay well in advance, but no dice.  So unless the owner has changed his mind since I enquired, Id say Roxey Mouldings is not a source for Markits.  

Avoid scalelink, id never use them again.

Odd statement as I quite happily use Scalelink wheels. The only exception is on GWR locos with two outside cylinders and the very noticeable 15” crank throw. A set of those is what I’ve benn waiting for for a month from Markits

Tim T

Before I dropped modelling OO about 2 years ago, I tried to buy some Markits from Roxey and I was told he would prefer to not deal with that again as he had too many people place orders and change their mind.  I even offered to pay well in advance, but no dice.  So unless the owner has changed his mind since I enquired, Id say Roxey Mouldings is not a source for Markits.  

Strange as I have seen David spend loads of time serving folk, not doubting you but he puts up with my dithering and gladly relieves me of my money. I guess we all have bad days when we are difficult to deal with, Dave might have been having one when you spoke with him !!

I was speaking to Mark today, adding to an order I had phoned through about a week ago, which he hasn't despatched yet - he is busy as always, but I have had a couple others by more or less return over the past few months. Can't sing praise for his products and individual service highly enough.

Apparently the caster keeps breaking the new tool for the wheels or something. So are we saying scalelink are OK or not very good? Anyone else had any problems with them?

Kind regards Neil

Just phone Dave Hammersley up, as Crispy has said Dave has quite a lot of items from Markits, one thing to remember with these small businesses is to phone at an appropriate time, not either imediatly before or after shows they attend, nor late afternoon when they need to go to the Post Office. Tuesday's, Wednesdays & Thursdays may be better.

Apparently the caster keeps breaking the new tool for the wheels or something. So are we saying scalelink are OK or not very good? Anyone else had any problems with them?

Kind regards Neil

Nothing wrong with Scalelink. The only issues are cosmetic - some of them have a very chunky plastic rim inside the metal tyre, which looks awful to me, although Romford/Markits have the same problem. 

Very limited experience with Scalelink a number of years ago. 2 out of 12 needed the square hole cleaning out due to almost invisible (to my eyes) flash. After that, all 12 were perfect. I also would be interested to hear the experience of other people with these wheels.

Used Scalelink wheels a good few times without any problems. Just as with Markits, I always check that the square hole is ‘clean’ i.e. no flash.

Appearance wise they are a little clunkier than Markits and the plastic centres not so robust but you pays your money and makes your choice, they are considerably cheaper.

Used Scalelink wheels a good few times without any problems. Just as with Markits, I always check that the square hole is ‘clean’ i.e. no flash.

Appearance wise they are a little clunkier than Markits and the plastic centres not so robust but you pays your money and makes your choice, they are considerably cheaper.

The other alternative is to source the items second hand (ones which either have not been used or in excellent condition

Last week I bought an unmade Wills Finecast kit, did not want the loco, but chassis, wheels (Gibson), motor (Mashima), gear box were what I required, selling the loco will recoup some of the cost, which was cheaper than MRRP anyway. Just a matter of keeping ones eyes open