Southern Pride Models

cromptonnut

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Still going, but he is winding down.

Worth noticing the info on the opening page of the website, which does get updated regularly unlike many suppliers.

Jason

He was doing that, around 10 years ago, when I picked up some kits from him. The kits remain in the roundtuit pile.

He must be knocking late 80's or even early 90's now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2023 at 08:29, Siberian Snooper said:

He was doing that, around 10 years ago, when I picked up some kits from him. The kits remain in the roundtuit pile.

He must be knocking late 80's or even early 90's now.

One of the very best small suppliers in those good old hazy days of the 1990s and early 2000s.

However, despite the fact he is now a very old man and yet still manages to try his very best to do all sorts for a customer, his small business is almost empty. However, despite that, I have had super service from him in the last year, with him searching his darkest corners in the 'store' and discovering spare Bulleid bits that I needed and he had forgotten were still there! 

I/(we*) also got some LNER Artic Etched sides, made up by him especially. That's service. * A pal wanted one of the sets on an etch containing two Diagrams!

My advice to anyone is, go to the site and buy stuff you might need; for example the Bulleid Roofs and parts (not full Kits) are something I have stocked up on as they go very well with Comet/ Bedford Mousa Sides.

IIRC there are still loads of MK1 parts showing.

ATB

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been drooling over his kits for years and managed to get his last complete xp64 kits to build the full rake and have just about managed to get enough of his mk2z kits to build a rake, hoping to get some more bits of him if stocks allow. 

A shame for them to dissappear completely but with accurascale etc offering rtr versions of his products I can't see it been viable for someone to buy. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, rka said:

I have been drooling over his kits for years and managed to get his last complete xp64 kits to build the full rake and have just about managed to get enough of his mk2z kits to build a rake, hoping to get some more bits of him if stocks allow. 

A shame for them to dissappear completely but with accurascale etc offering rtr versions of his products I can't see it been viable for someone to buy. 

I don't know so much. Not all of us are completely wedded to what the RTR boys make. Still dozens of BR Mark One types for example that aren't available RTR and probably never will be.

I certainly feel the etches and parts such as the interiors are still viable. Maybe one for someone such as Wizard, Dart Castings or Phoenix to take on?

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't know so much. Not all of us are completely wedded to what the RTR boys make. Still dozens of BR Mark One types for example that aren't available RTR and probably never will be.

I certainly feel the etches and parts such as the interiors are still viable. Maybe one for someone such as Wizard, Dart Castings or Phoenix to take on?

Jason

I hope so. 

• Agree 3

On 19/08/2023 at 13:01, Steamport Southport said:

It'd be interesting to see a rundown of what is and isn't available RTR as there are one or two types I'm after. Most notably the Boat Second or Boat 1st (Diagram 72 SO or Diagram 90 RFO) which had a central door into a seating bay. 

Plus there's the TSO without the centre door.

• 3 weeks later...

I can add that I've just received my order from him - I contacted him by email regarding some TPO parts and printed sides (basically to get them before they dissapear) and he was very helpful. It did take almost 2 weeks for the first reply, but understandable as the business is in the process of winding down and they are very busy.

• Informative/Useful 1