Latex caulk

I have been watching a few how to video s on you tube some of our American cousins use latex caulk for fixing track to baseboard. This may sound like a daft question but is this the same as no nails or is it like decorators caulk or something completely different

Thanks in advance

If "decorators caulk" is the stuff in long tubes used to finish housework like bathtub tiles and windows, then yes.

Though I wouldnt recommend it for track as it has a tendency to shrink overtime and come away from what it was stuck to. Thus in a few years time your once stuck down trackwork is now not.

First guess was correct - the 'No more Nails' sort, or the brand more imaginatively named "Sticks Like ####!" - not 'decorators caulk' which is not an adhesive.

Edit: & Decorators Caulk is not for round bathtubs or window frames either, silicone sealant is for those jobs. ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad

• RMweb Gold

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that what the US describes as 'Caulk' we would describe as 'Silicon sealant'.

I say this because a friend in the US is always referring to 'Caulking the shower and basin' which you wouldn't do with a decorators caulk.

• RMweb Gold

Based on the information in Mike Storey's link it appears that American's call everything caulk, they just have different types for different purposes.

After a while, grab adhesive seems to set hard so I imagine something more flexible is what is required to stick down track.  If the aim is to be able to lift and re-use track then grab adhesive seems too aggressive and decorators' caulk might provide enough stickiness to do the job.  However, I wonder if what Screwfix call "sanitary sealant" is what is required?  It is very sticky, remains flexible and for track you'd need such a thin layer that any springiness wouldn't be an issue.  Definitely has to be an acrylic one though with plastic sleepers.

P.S.  It's "silicone" not "silicon" guys.  Silicon is used to make computer chips and as a hard crystalline substance isn't much good for sealing things.  Silicone is flexible and is what is needed for sealing bathroom fittings (amongst other things requiring flexibility).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that what the US describes as 'Caulk' we would describe as 'Silicon sealant'.

I say this because a friend in the US is always referring to 'Caulking the shower and basin' which you wouldn't do with a decorators caulk.

As Churchill said, "Two nations separated by a common language".

I find it very confusing finding the right technical terms to use for the US. I was advising someone there yesterday and realised that I have no idea if they use the terms chipboard and MDF. I know that hardboard is Masonite.

I think the clue is in the word "latex" in the OP. Substitute Copydex or similar carpet adhesive as used by myself and many others for laying track and in diluted form for ballasting.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

My current house was owned by American's and they left behind tubes of Latex Caulking purchased from their US store. Its sets rubbery so remains flexible, but is paintable. You cannot sand it though. Probably very similar to paintable frame sealant over here (Wilkos - £3.00 per tube). You could use it for track, but would need to hold the track in place until its set as its not a grab adhesive. Shrinkage could be an issue though.

I would stick with Copydex as others have suggested.

Ian

I think Latex is the clue here and it might be talking about Latex adhesive, Copydex being a brand (but expensive) Latex flooring adhesive from flooring companies would do the job

Exactly. Copydex is a fine product for fairly small areas of usage, but much cheaper latex bonding tubs are available from builders' merchants for larger track layouts.

IMHO, this is the stuff to use if you want to suppress baseboard reverberation noise. But if you lay your ballast using the standard PVA method, then don't bother! You need to use latex for that too, or foam/similar track bed, if you want near silent running. But the penalty is the extra time it takes to do that. Horses for ballast, or something like that.

'Caulking' was originally a maritime term for sealing between the planks of vessels to stop leakage; caulk would originally have been pitch, possibly mixed with hemp fibre. 'Decorators' Caulk' sounds as though it might be something akin to 'Stopping'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Caulking' was originally a maritime term for sealing between the planks of vessels to stop leakage; caulk would originally have been pitch, possibly mixed with hemp fibre. 'Decorators' Caulk' sounds as though it might be something akin to 'Stopping'.

Decorators caulk is akin to hole filling when plasterers and joiners can't be arsed to make things fit properly!

Mike.

• Like 3