Rapido LB&SCR Class E1 0-6-0T

sem34090

On 12/05/2021 at 22:14, Edwardian said:

Thanks, Ray, you may well be right if that's your recollection.

I just remembered the E1 and 16XX announced at the same time and, then, somewhat later, the disappointing news (for me!) that the interesting one of the two had been put back in favour of the pannier.  Perhaps afterwards doesn't mean immediately afterwards.

I was hoping at least a nice CAD render to drool over! Still, it'll come!  

On the other hand, the pannier has attracted some criticism for a very prominent seam in the bunker and tricky electronics. When our E1 comes along, we can hope that the Rapido team avoids the errors. Napoleon said, “These pups have learnt something,” but perhaps he was thinking of the Prussians rather than the E1s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/05/2021 at 15:11, No Decorum said:

Napoleon said, “These pups have learnt something,” but perhaps he was thinking of the Prussians rather than the E1s.

"Quick, let's gain the objective before the Margate Legion beat us to it!"

f173b4411fb7b24db05a3991a25ed6ff.jpg.6c55e8f1ca1f999be71ecfd49af3acfa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

"Quick, let's gain the objective before the Margate Legion beat us to it!"

f173b4411fb7b24db05a3991a25ed6ff.jpg.6c55e8f1ca1f999be71ecfd49af3acfa.jpg

I was disappointed to learn that Prussians didn't wear blue and Brunswickers didn't wear green - delving into the history of paint technology, as one is obliged to do, the pigments turn out to have nothing to do with military uniforms.

• Funny 7

• 2 months later...

Post copied from More Stroudley's on the Hornby blog.

On 16/07/2021 at 19:43, Jack Benson said:

What happened to the E1 model?

GreenGiraffe22 replied:

I'd heard through the grape vine a CAD was being put together and then I heard recently it's been put on hold indefinitely which is a great shame if true.

Is there any update on this model ?

Maybe Chris Leigh might reply.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I notice this model was not listed in the most recent MR, although other more recently announced ones were. @dibber25 said once that Richard Foster was looking after this one, and he's now at Rapido — if anyone knows the state of play, he should, but whether he can say, is something different. None of the more recent announcements are being produced by Rapido, either.

Perhaps it is in "abeyance", as Dapol would say…

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

GreenGiraffe22 replied:

I'd heard through the grape vine a CAD was being put together and then I heard recently it's been put on hold indefinitely which is a great shame if true.

All the best

Ray

Chris has posted that he generally won't be posting updates on Model Rail projects on RMweb, that we are better using the social media that Model Rail officially uses (Facebook).  So he may or may not reply.

That said, the above agrees with what he did post several months ago - that Model Rail staff were very busy and that the E1 had been put on hold as the job of putting out the magazine took precedence.

I am sure when there is an update, it will happen on the Model Rail Facebook page and someone will copy it here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/05/2021 at 09:38, Compound2632 said:

I was disappointed to learn that Prussians didn't wear blue and Brunswickers didn't wear green - delving into the history of paint technology, as one is obliged to do, the pigments turn out to have nothing to do with military uniforms.

I did respond, pointing out that the Prussians did wear blue and some Brunswickers wore green, but the Relevance Police deleted it, no doubt necessary to make room for all the exciting updates on the E1

Apropos of which ....

On 20/07/2021 at 11:18, wainwright1 said:

GreenGiraffe22 replied:

All the best

Ray

Generally I would not take much notice of the Grapevine, but, if the E1 is on hold indefinitely, I would hope that MR would come clean and say so; we don't wan't to be in a position of e.g. Hattons, officially still producing that King, or DJM with all its 'in development' products.

I'm not prepared to assume the worse on the basis of second hand hearsay.  However, if it did transpire that it had been put on hold but that was not communicated to the customers, I suspect that would prove a misstep.  Delay I can endure, but indefinite postponement (which is all but cancellation) would be a disappointment, so some rumour-scotching by the progenitors of this project would not go amiss.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I'm not prepared to assume the worse on the basis of second hand hearsay.  However, if it did transpire that it had been put on hold but that was not communicated to the customers, I suspect that would prove a misstep.  Delay I can endure, but indefinite postponement (which is all but cancellation) would be a disappointment, so some rumour-scotching by the progenitors of this project would not go amiss.

Um, Chris of Model Rail effectively said what has been claimed on February 1st on this very thread - and given how few posts there have been and it is only on page 14 out of 15 (or I posted a link just a couple of messages above) I'm not quite sure why this is coming as a surprise to people.

I would also point out that given the E1 has never been opened to orders there aren't any real customers to communicate to, and given the potential customers can't be bothered to read the actual updates I'm not sure what else you expect - it's not as though any company is going to post every week saying "no change"

But to repeat, Chris has stated Model Rail doesn't post official updates on RMweb (it is run by a competitor), and thus anyone wanting to ask Model Rail for an official update is better off going to where Model Rail actually participates on an official basis - Facebook - or try other official means of communication.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's up to MR, of course, if they quietly shelve a  project without publicising it.  It's also up to them which platforms they favour. I don't favour Facebook, and I'm unlikely to change that just to hear anything MR may or may not say about this product, but I imagine any news would emerge here soon enough.

What I think is rather silly is the suggestion that, just because the order book has not opened, there are no customers to consider. Call them potential customers, if that helps, but the point is simply that the constituency interested in buying an E1 would probably like to understand if that is not likely to happen. 

We have to wait eons for RTR products to travel the long, slow, journey from announcement to deliver. Most of us understand why this is so. Most of us accept that and do not complain or become impatient.

Waiting patiently for something that ain't going to happen is, however, another matter.

Rather than speculate, I will wait patiently for MR to say one way or another whether this commission is going ahead.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing to prevent another commissioner or manufacturer from announcing a model of the same class at any time, of course. 

As to the uniforms, my key take-away from the whole project is that not all Brighton tank engines need to be yellow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There is nothing to prevent another commissioner or manufacturer from announcing a model of the same class at any time, of course. 

As to the uniforms, my key take-away from the whole project is that not all Brighton tank engines need to be yellow.

For this Stroudley tank engine, the take away was that only a few, for a very brief period, were yellow and that was about a decade before your 1902 period of interest.  The Prussians, on the other hand, were still in blue in 1902!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, choo1choo said:

Anybody heard any more about the fate of the E1's. Seems to have gone a bit quiet.

It has, hasn't it? It would, indeed, be nice to know that this is 'next on the list', with an estimated time frame that could be shared, or whether it's postponed indefinitely.  

'' .... in the UK we don't have manufacturers who are generally as open with their customers as Jason Shron, and this lack of openness fuels speculation ...''

From 'According to Chris...'. Model Rail, Summer 2021.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Just now, Wickham Green too said:

Last time I speculated that the E1 had gone quiet I was told I should be looking on the Model Rail faceache page not RMweb/Rapido  ................................. has anyone looked on the faceache page recently ?

Absolutely nothing on faceache either. Last time there was any comment was from Chris on here saying it was on hold. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From today's Rapido UK newsletter No. 8

If you thought that everything seemed to have gone quiet on the Model Rail/Rapido 'OO' gauge LBSCR 'E1' project, there's actually been quite a lot going on behind the scenes.

We cannot say anything more here but there will be an announcement about this project on October 28th 2021. Keep subscribed to the Rapido UK newsletter to be the first to hear the news or look out for Model Rail No. 293 in your local news agent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

51 minutes ago, mdvle said:

From today's Rapido UK newsletter No. 8

Guys, you can thank me - I recently bought all the pieces to assemble an E1. I'm sure that was all the project needed to be nudged back into action!

On a more serious note, that's very exciting. Looking forward to hearing more towards the end of the month.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1