Question. Would Rapido Trains Be Interested Producing European HO Scale Trains?

BritishRail60062

Oh believe me. If I had the £200k to hand. I would without a doubt step up to the plate and get this new TGV model underway. The crowd-funding idea is another viable idea I have put into my notebook as potential business ideas as well as I am going to go the self-employed route once I have decided which one is most sustainable and viable as well.

Andy, if I may ask you a question here buddy. Do you not think that the 4 car set would be the easiest option for those that have limited space that would prevent a 2+8 full rake set whilst producing the extra car packs for the veteran modellers and those with large layouts that can run the full 2+8 sets or even the 2x10 double TGV's for exhibitions?

I like the crowd-funding idea avenue, just leave it with me for the time being whilst I knock up a business plan. I think we're onto something :).

Ash, to be perfectly honest, I don’t think any of your options are viable... I think your personal wish for a TGV model is clouding your judgement..... Your talking about developing a European model, in HO, made for a British Market..... and from what I’ve read above, already exists to a decent standard....

So what research have you carried out with the European market? Are any of the other European manufacturers considering developing upgraded versions of the TGV? What are the discussions going on in the equivalent French versions of RMWeb?

Rapido (as all the others) make beautiful models, but they are a business..... they want to make some money..... I don’t see your idea making anyone any money, just a very large loss for whoever put the money up in the first place...

• Like 1

Hello everyone.

I thought I would shine a light on a potential new marketing opportunity for Rapido Trains to consider making some very popular European HO scale model trains. As if their UK OO and N gauge models are anything to go by. They are fantasitc in terms of detail and its proven that they spend a load of time and investment with the development of the model train that is the key point to why their model trains are so nicely made and detailed. 

On the other hand. This has got me thinking about the possibility of Rapido Trains producing European HO scale trains. I wonder if Rapido Trains teamed up with SNCF and Thalys for legal and licensing agreements and produced their first European HO Scale Train Pack in the form of the TGV Reseau in the Silver/Blue and the "Carmillon" liveries as well as a TGV Thalys PBA would be a viable start for this range. With all the candy in terms of the super detailing, cab lights, directional lighting as well as the powerful all wheel drive setup that has been tried and tested on other models like the APT-E for example.

I wonder how many people would be interested in a new TGV third generation set that would be a far superior model? Should this be a successful venture and if demand would enable a vast amount of sales. Perhaps Rapido Trains could venture into making other model trains from Various European countries to expand their new range for the European modellers.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brize/8596581595/

Photo of the TGV Thalys PBA in real life.

For the record. I am aware that Mehano make various TGV train sets but these are aimed more for the toy market if anything and they are very basic 4 piece sets. Nothing there that would even remotely match the accuracy and detail that Rapido Trains implement as standard on their range of professional model trains that are aimed at the modeller.

I welcome all positive and constructive feedback on this topic.

All the best.

They already said once that they would be a fish out of water. If you don't live and breath continental, you have little hope of building a market there.

Ash, if you provided Rapido Trains the £200,000 to develop the model, or arrange for the money to be raised through crowd funding, i’m Sure they would assist and advise as best they can in how you could try and sell them to recoup your financial out lay...

Jason has quite clearly stated his thoughts on this, so i’m Not sure why you think he should test the waters with a 4 car set....

That would cover tooling but you still need money for production which would be at least as much again.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As others have said,, the various Jouef TGVs are pretty good - and very good for their time when introduced about 25 years ago.

I well remember the Jouef rep coming into my shop and, after me telling him that I thought them very good, he asked me how many I would be taking. He was a bit surprised when I said "none".

There is no point at all to a high-quality model of four cars of a ten-car set. How ever good the detail on the four cars, there is something missing. And you don't have to be a rivet-counter to spot what it is.

• Like 1

Mehano are probably the guys to go to for a big fleet, Jouef for the detail, especially the recent £200 remake. If you want to do some kitbashing, you could also try CAD with motors or motor bogies. Furthermore, why are we only talking about TGVs? The ICE family has been out of production for a few years now. The only TGV not done is the Duplex Reseau Carmillon and some minor livery modifications (France-Italie and Renfe-SNCF). More crucially, there's a big gap in the market for the modern era in N. I also would seek to argue that Italy, Scandinavia, Spain, Portugal and Poland could be covered a lot better, while France and Belgium could be improved. The centre of H0 or HO tends to be firmly in the German-speaking countries and the Netherlands.

I have left out the Baltics as they have a different gauge, requiring 17.471...mm gauge.

It’s easy to play “ fantasy train maker “. I’d be more than willing to “ test the water “ with someone else’s £200k.

I’d suggest we leave Rand D to the pros.

Now if rapido wanted to make a sealed beam revised nose end class 45 peak we might be getting somewhere.

Rapido has a number of Canadian prototype steam engines on the drawing boards starting with the CPR Royal Hudson. I suspect that their resources will be dedicated to this task before venturing into unknown waters.

Cheers,

David

One of the very few foreign locomotives that I would be interested in.

Unfortunately I can't really justify spending quite a lot of money on something that would possibly never be used.

Jason

A quick scan of Rapido’s home page https://rapidotraitns.com/ under announcements will show anyone who cares to read it that their hands will be full for the next while. Producing RS11s, RS18s, the Tempo Train and the N scale Dash 8-40 CM “Draper taper” along with some cars to pull behind them will keep the factories busy for a while. And remember, the Canadian and American markets are home turf for Rapido and by far their best bet for new models.

Cheers,

David

A quick scan of Rapido’s home page https://rapidotraitns.com/ under announcements will show anyone who cares to read it that their hands will be full for the next while. Producing RS11s, RS18s, the Tempo Train and the N scale Dash 8-40 CM “Draper taper” along with some cars to pull behind them will keep the factories busy for a while. And remember, the Canadian and American markets are home turf for Rapido and by far their best bet for new models.

Cheers,

David

Not to mention the Royal Hudson (and other steam locos), the N Scale Turbo, the EP-5 Jet, and a whole slew listed here:

https://rapidotrains.com/new-product-delivery-schedule/

It’s easy to play “ fantasy train maker “. I’d be more than willing to “ test the water “ with someone else’s £200k.

I’d suggest we leave Rand D to the pros.

Now if rapido wanted to make a sealed beam revised nose end class 45 peak we might be getting somewhere.

I’ll sell you my 45048 Royal Marines for £200k, save you waiting for fantasy train makers ltd...lol

Can't recall where but I seem to recall Jason mentioning that one of the reasons for his most recent trip was to do the paperwork to create an official UK Rapido company given that Rapido will soon be offering Rapido branded UK products - the Gunpowder van will at some point be officially announced and I think there was mention of the possibility of a second UK product - and that is in addition to the Birmingham Guy Arab bus, another run of the Class 156 for Realtrack, the OO TEA Tanker and N Cargowaggon twins for Revolution, and the J70 for Model Rail which are all in production this year.  For the future there is the Realtrack Class 142, Revolution Class 92 and HOA Stone Hopper, Kernow OO Cargowaggon twins, Model Rail GWR 1600 and LB&SCR Class E1 and possibly some more Revolution products.

So the UK market is a large part of Rapido's production these days.

Well it was worth a try anyway.

If the european continental market is going to be too fierce to be viable. Then perhaps its better to just stick with the well known tried and tested paths. I apologise for wasting anyones time on this idea :( .

All the best.

Seriously, I worry that Jason and Rapido are becoming overextended and expanding too rapidoly.....

It seems to be Jason's passion to overextend himself as much as possible. I find it mind-boggling just how much his little company attempts - and not just with products but their preservation efforts (like Edmonston and the new look bus) as well. Their Canadian, icons of steam programme alone might take decades, were they actually to accomplish any of it beyond the Royal Hudson.

There's a component of the phasing of projects that I think Jason understands pretty well. To have the right level of cash flow they need projects in development at each stage of the development, production and distribution pipeline. They do appear have more projects announced than they currently have the capacity to implement. That's OK, since many of these projects can wait their turn until a spot in the pipeline presents itself.

For now Rapido continues to grow in employees. That helps too. (Of course there's a point where that changes everything, but they are not there yet.) The people are the company.

• Like 1

Rapido is up to 11 employees (they recently updated their staff page) though that doesn't necessarily account for the frequent and multiple firing of employees...*

https://rapidotrains.com/meet-the-staff/

They also, if not already then soon, will be up to 3 factories though that assumes they keep both of the 2 original ones.

[*] for those not on Facebook where most of it happens it is a frequent occurrence for Jason to fire people, some of them have been fired in the double digits, and sometimes twice in one day.  Fortunately they all appear to be quite content to ignore him.

Edited by mdvle

It seems to be Jason's passion to overextend himself as much as possible. I find it mind-boggling just how much his little company attempts - and not just with products but their preservation efforts (like Edmonston and the new look bus) as well. Their Canadian, icons of steam programme alone might take decades, were they actually to accomplish any of it beyond the Royal Hudson.

There's a component of the phasing of projects that I think Jason understands pretty well. To have the right level of cash flow they need projects in development at each stage of the development, production and distribution pipeline. They do appear have more projects announced than they currently have the capacity to implement. That's OK, since many of these projects can wait their turn until a spot in the pipeline presents itself.

For now Rapido continues to grow in employees. That helps too. (Of course there's a point where that changes everything, but they are not there yet.) The people are the company.

I am afraid exposure to multiple possible future international trade problems may be the greater future risk for Rapido.  For a Canadian firm China, the US, UK and could all become problematical. Perhaps Continental European market expansion might not be such a bad alternative considering the other markets. His product range, however, is still primarily Canadian prototype products made in China. And Canadians do have basements and long winters eh!

• Like 1