Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

As said on the Layout tour Andy, the Hall is at one end, and the Front Drive at the other, so no where to go. No room down the side way either.

How about a curved fiddle stick from the branch curving round towards the corner where the cabin sits on Bench Road ?  Might not even need to curve round that much, only needs to accomodate that one train.

Admittedly, it would prevent the existing fiddle yard setup from being moved when in place, but, it might offer an option .....

Regards

Andi

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks ? / Winslow Boy, if you Tag or ask Ian on his thread, I'm pretty sure hi will know which Video it was on, I think 140 comes to mind, but can't be sure now.

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Very, and when I say very I mean VERY impressive Mr Bodgit. You did have me a bit concerned when you posted your first couple of photos as the sides looked out of alignment but I needn't have feared as after you had worked your magic with the paint brush they looked absolutely fabulous. Really excellent job by the master himself. Even inspired me to go and have a look for Ian's video but wasn't able to find it.

here’s part 1 of the turbot project 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Simple Andy, into the hall and through the house to the garden, back down the side and large curve on the driveway and back in the other end! ;)

whilst tunnelling  through the wall into the hall, might as well run a line to the kitchen for supplies

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, andi4x4 said:

How about a curved fiddle stick from the branch curving round towards the corner where the cabin sits on Bench Road ?  Might not even need to curve round that much, only needs to accomodate that one train.

Admittedly, it would prevent the existing fiddle yard setup from being moved when in place, but, it might offer an option .....

Regards

Andi

Nice idea Andi, but once again there would be no room to either run into the other curved Fiddle Yard, or access the Loop to be able to run around or shunt the Yard.

The reality is that the room is a stupid short size, for decent length Trains in O Gauge.

1648695749_THEPLOT.png.a93a17b778db41c17875d1d5a4ce0f89.png

1204625169_PODPitofDoom-Copy.png.2ff0f317d5bea55f88ee615702de99bc.png

1247824893_SEVENMILLSSIDINGS2020-Copy(2).png.cdd76b96ce9d5efdd5b4558d78c7cb99.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The Answer is simple by an old van park it really close to the POD. storage yard goes into the van. Access through a tunnel from the disused station road.  :jester:

Peronally I think it would be too much faff getting out to go into the van to access the trains so I would bother. It would probably be the most practical solution but would it be worth it?

Don

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, Donw said:

The Answer is simple by an old van park it really close to the POD. storage yard goes into the van. Access through a tunnel from the disused station road.  :jester:

Peronally I think it would be too much faff getting out to go into the van to access the trains so I would bother. It would probably be the most practical solution but would it be worth it?

Don

I have a wife, and value life.:laugh::good:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Actually it needs a bit more lateral thinking guys - if the layout doesn't fit the train, then make the train fit the layout. Andy you just need to do a cut and shut on the turbots and remove the centre section out of each and glue them back together. Might look a bit odd but it would fit. ha ha!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, pwr said:

Actually it needs a bit more lateral thinking guys - if the layout doesn't fit the train, then make the train fit the layout. Andy you just need to do a cut and shut on the turbots and remove the centre section out of each and glue them back together. Might look a bit odd but it would fit. ha ha!

Paul R

Get some Grampus!

I've seen a video on Youtube where a Grampus builder put his (plastic) wagons in the oven!  They had bent sides too, and bent frames, floppy buffers and brake gear.

• Funny 2

33 minutes ago, pwr said:

Paul R

Lateral thinking = N Gauge?:scared:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Get some Grampus!

I've seen a video on Youtube where a Grampus builder put his (plastic) wagons in the oven!  They had bent sides too, and bent frames, floppy buffers and brake gear.

I will be getting at least one Grampus once the Shops open again, as I have about £35 Credit at one place, and they sell Parkside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Nice idea Andi, but once again there would be no room to either run into the other curved Fiddle Yard, or access the Loop to be able to run around or shunt the Yard.

The reality is that the room is a stupid short size, for decent length Trains in O Gauge.

1247824893_SEVENMILLSSIDINGS2020-Copy(2).png.cdd76b96ce9d5efdd5b4558d78c7cb99.png

But just think what you could do in N Andy

Brian - committed N gauge modeller since the 70’s - and wonder if I should have been committed as a result. Usually when trying to put transfers on to wagon kits so they are straight. 

• Like 2

Two possible solutions to the lack of room Mr P. Neither of which have been mentioned I think. Both unfortunately involve some form of stress to one degree or another. First up we have getting rid of the wife- I'll leave you to choose the method (all I ask is don't mention my name to the police) or second move house. Over to you Mr P

Ps 

Many thanks to Ian -47606odin for posting the link on the turbets. I will now watch and take notes.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Two possible solutions to the lack of room Mr P. Neither of which have been mentioned I think. Both unfortunately involve some form of stress to one degree or another. First up we have getting rid of the wife- I'll leave you to choose the method (all I ask is don't mention my name to the police) or second move house. Over to you Mr P

Ps 

Many thanks to Ian -47606odin for posting the link on the turbets. I will now watch and take notes.

My wife moved on of her own accord many years ago with the result that I now have 5 separate N gauge layouts in N in using 2 bedrooms. 

Getting “rid” of the wife however wasn’t an option as I’d relaid the patio and besides I remembered what happened in Brookside and our next door neighbour was a policeman. So I adopted the more subtle approach of boring her rigid with talk of wheel configurations and the merits of LMS compared to GW.  

Edited by Dragonboy
Spillung
  • Funny 2

Andy

I have a Parkside mermaid kit you can have which is surplus to requirements here if you are interested. You can have it for free but its not built. DM me with your address if interested and I will send it although I may have to go on a hunt to retrieve it. I am not sure if its in the loft or in a pile of crates waiting to go back into the workshop! Might take a week or so to find it!!!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

But just think what you could do in N Andy

Brian - committed N gauge modeller since the 70’s - and wonder if I should have been committed as a result. Usually when trying to put transfers on to wagon kits so they are straight. 

Been there, done that / N, a couple of times, but the eyes and sanity would not allow a return now I don't think.

I could certainly do something impressive in N.:nono:

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Ps 

Sold Wife No 1, and moved house less than a year ago so no to either, current Wife is O.K.:D

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, pwr said:

Andy

I have a Parkside mermaid kit you can have which is surplus to requirements here if you are interested. You can have it for free but its not built. DM me with your address if interested and I will send it although I may have to go on a hunt to retrieve it. I am not sure if its in the loft or in a pile of crates waiting to go back into the workshop! Might take a week or so to find it!!!

Paul R

Thanks Paul, Yes please and I'm happy to pay for it, or postage, I'll pm you.:good:

6 minutes ago, Ray H said:

How about an underground layout - underground?

There's also the vertical option if you can conquer the gravity problem.

I remember these Bungalows being built, it was my Playground as a child, I know some of what may be buried under the floor boards and I ain't looking to check.

Tried aloft, and I would be the one finding how gravity works if I tried it again.:swoon:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My suggestion wasn't serious. It is probably the most possible but not worth it in my view.

Trains to fit the space is the answer but them big diesels and long wagons are restrictive. The answer is two use two roads in the fiddle yard .

Train departs into the first road and halts partway in uncouple move to next road and pull the remaind of the train in with an 04 in that road. Quite often a train will set off and stop with the loco by a signal where the bobby can see it is ready for the road.

Don

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

How long is drive, Andy ?  Measure car, Measure drive, deduct length of car from length of drive, build extension on unused portion of drive ! and if you need a bigger unused portion of drive in the future, just buy a smaller car and repeat process .......

Hat, coat, etc......

Regards

Andi

Edited by andi4x4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Restrictions on Andy's deeds even stop him building a big shed that would have been the ideal ... current system is O and would not need to go as far as N but Andy has thought of that and decided he preferred the O.

Getting rid of wife - no way here either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Donw said:

Don

A minor conversion to the van and you could simply turn it round and run the trains back from the storage yard onto the layout. 

• Funny 3