Rapido Railcrew remote uncoupler

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I am using Kadees on British stock on my new shunting puzzle layout and trying to improve the reliability - mainly avoiding unwanted uncoupling which does seem to occur from time to time - just debating whether to invest in one and try it...I have a fixed magnet on the previous layout which is fine 90% of the time - I assume the steel axles on British OO stock cause some of the problems and I'm wondering if the on/off function will solve it.

Edited by Gilbert

I always thought permanent magnets had a bit of a stigma about them, but with properly adjusted couplers and weighted/dragging stock (that is less of an issue on a shunting plank).

Ironically my inglenook is more advanced than the initial layout I brought the uncouplers for, and find that I tend to leave the magnet on/in position when switching as I don't get phantom uncoupling. But now it is fitted i can use it either way, and the LED is a useful indicator of where to find it.

I am using Kadees on British stock on my new shunting puzzle layout and trying to improve the reliability - mainly avoiding unwanted uncoupling which does seem to occur from time to time - just debating whether to invest in one and try it...I have a fixed magnet on the previous layout which is fine 90% of the time - I assume the steel axles on British OO stock cause some of the problems and I'm wondering if the on/off function will solve it.

I use wherever possible the much maligned IMO original Bachmann wheelsets with a plastic centre to the axle but even then then unintentional uncoupling can occur so I have undertrack magnets located on hinges and lifted / lowered in place by servos. I take  this Rapido product to be an improvement on the rather clunky Kadee Electromagnet. Not too keen on the LED - I mark the location of the magnet by a bird glued to a lineside structure.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

I always thought permanent magnets had a bit of a stigma about them, but with properly adjusted couplers and weighted/dragging stock (that is less of an issue on a shunting plank).

Ironically my inglenook is more advanced than the initial layout I brought the uncouplers for, and find that I tend to leave the magnet on/in position when switching as I don't get phantom uncoupling. But now it is fitted i can use it either way, and the LED is a useful indicator of where to find it.

I agree but however much I fettle I always seem to end up with a rogue wagon of some sort - usually one I really want to use - and I want to eliminate as much of the problem as possible!

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

Not too keen on the LED - I mark the location of the magnet by a bird glued to a lineside structure.

The LED is on a separate 12v feed, so although it isn't mentioned in the instructions, you could fit a dimmer to control its brightness. Although it's only use is operational and has no prototype credibility, I sometimes have trouble finding the centre of a hidden magnet on someone else's layout, and would even consider LED markers with permanent magnets.

• RMweb Premium

I have one to play with but haven't yet fired it up. Plan is to find a suitable DCC accessory decoder to power it.

This reminds me that I must get on with it sooner rather than later.

• RMweb Gold

You can get 3 Dingham uncouplers for the same price. Yes, they are bigger, and don't have a LED, but a small dab of paint on the sleeper end works for me.

( usual disclaimers apply)

Do they work for Kadees as well?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Do they work for Kadees as well?

Hi,

The link says any magnetically operated knuckle coupler so I would guess that's a yes.

I think some people make their own using electronics, a servo and two high strength permanent magnets.

Regards

Nick

Some pictures of my first one installed on a test trackattachicon.gifP1410887.JPGattachicon.gifP1410885.JPG

Thanks for the photos, neat test track.  How do you find it works - does it attract steel axles when live - as per the Kadee version ?   The electromagnet part is bigger than I was expecting from photos.  Using Kadee delayed uncoupling ramps, I sometimes find both trip pins move to the same side so don't uncouple, hopefully that won't happen with these.

Regards

Ken

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am planning to use the Rail Crew Uncouplers for my next layout, but I can't find a UK source of them, Rails of Sheffield used to do them, but I can't see them listed anymore.

Does anyone else know of a UK source of them, or do I have to get them from Rapido directly?

Simon

59 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

I am planning to use the Rail Crew Uncouplers for my next layout, but I can't find a UK source of them, Rails of Sheffield used to do them, but I can't see them listed anymore.

If no one else comes up with a UK source then try contacting Rails of Sheffield to see what they say - they may still be able to get them even if not listed

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2019 at 19:47, tractor_37260 said:

Thanks for the photos, neat test track.  How do you find it works - does it attract steel axles when live - as per the Kadee version ?   The electromagnet part is bigger than I was expecting from photos.  Using Kadee delayed uncoupling ramps, I sometimes find both trip pins move to the same side so don't uncouple, hopefully that won't happen with these.

Regards

Ken

I found it a bit "strong" for small British stock resulting in the odd "shuffle" so I've removed it and stored for use with some US HO I have a plan for.  To be entirely fair when I removed it I saw that the track was not quite level and that may have exaggerated any problems.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Are Model Junction UK based? I cannot find a land address anywhere on their website. Their "About Us" page is really helpful https://www.modeljunction.info/content/4-about-us

Andi

My understanding is that Model Junction are based in Slough - https://www.yell.com/biz/model-junction-slough-4278563/.  I agree that their address doesn't seem to be on their website and looking at the invoice they sent me when I ordered from them last year, it doesn't seem to give an address either, which is strange because I thought invoices should display the company registration details and registered office.  That said, I had no issues with my order and there are a few positive comments on an old RMWeb thread.