Why were TOADs not double-ended?

spikey

Not only the GWR, but several other companies had one ended brake vans at one point or another, although most seem to have eventually gone for a double ended design.  

You would think a double ended design would use less wood as youre framing and covering less wall area.  

• Like 1

I think they got the best of both worlds. Large comfortable van area and a large veranda which had the sandboxes, brake standard and vacuum cylinder (where fitted) and seats for good weather.

Long wheel base with a comfortable ride whereas most other railways still had short wheelbase vans.

It's no wonder why they were in high demand for Departmental use in relation to ordinary brake vans.

Jason

• Like 1

I think they got the best of both worlds. Large comfortable van area and a large veranda which had the sandboxes, brake standard and vacuum cylinder (where fitted) and seats for good weather.

Yes, but as Mrs Spikey says, surely they must have spent half their life running "wrong way round"?

It doesn't matter which end is open its a convenient place for the guard to lookout from.

I'd fancy an American caboose A's a guard as it's got every comfort you could wish for.

Just as long as you have a hand brake control for air vacuum or both plus weather protection you have the bare minimum requirements for the van.

• RMweb Premium

It's no wonder why they were in high demand for Departmental use in relation to ordinary brake vans.

Jason

Thats because they were withdrawn earlier than other contemporary designs due to the lack of duckets. Other types, LMS designs mostly were withdrawn for the same reason.

It doesn't matter which end is open its a convenient place for the guard to lookout from.

I'd fancy an American caboose A's a guard as it's got every comfort you could wish for.

Just as long as you have a hand brake control for air vacuum or both plus weather protection you have the bare minimum requirements for the van.

Yeah, sure beats rattling around in a brake van

http://www.shorpy.com/node/9733

• Like 5

GWR vans were not well liked by the guards from other regions, once brake vans became common user under BR. The OPC book on SR wagons (when comparing the different Big 4 designs)  describes them as 'hated almost to the point of refusal' or similar. 

The brake on the veranda wasn't fun to use in poor weather, or if the veranda end was leading with coal dust etc being blown off the wagons ahead of it. There were also union concerns around safety, with only a single exit in the event of a crash. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You'd have to go back to the late 1880s to answer the question why they were designed that way. There was a quarter-century of development but it's notable that there was no significant design change after the introduction of 16ft wheelbase, 24ft over headstocks vans in 1912, whereas on the Midland and LNWR that date rather marks the beginning of the developments that lead to the standard LMS van - though guard's side lookouts didn't appear until LMS days. (A similar story could, I think, be told of LNER and constituent vans but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the subject.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The usage of a GBV, even before it got on to the drawing board, would (unless it was intended to be turned regularly, and facilities provided for doing so) clearly involve it performing the same task in either direction, so there's no logical operational reason for anything other than a design that's similar at both ends.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

... so there's no logical operational reason for anything other than a design that's similar at both ends. 

Quite.  Hence the question.  Which it looks like we'll never know the answer to. 

I shall inform Mrs Spikey that the GWR couldn't decide whether to have brake van ends with or without verandah, so it opted for one of each, safe in the knowledge that in times to come, nobody would be able to fathom out why they'd done that.

Edited by spikey
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A significant difference compared to other late 19th century single-ended designs such as the LNWR D16, is that the verandah end of the Great Western vehicles is open - as mentioned above, there is nothing to protect the guard from exposure to all the airborne detritus etc. On the LNWR vans and also on the Midland single-verandah vans, I believe the verandah was primarily for access - the end windows were deemed to give the guard an adequate view of the train (as at the enclosed end of the Great Western vans). The Midland design does have the additional safety feature (alluded to above) of a door at each end of the cabin - also giving access to the lampirons.

Mrs Spikey - the most challenging questions are those asked by those to whom the subject matter is not overfamiliar. Ask him some more!

• Like 3