DMU and diesel locos mixed in depots

Jim

Hi,

I'm just shuffling my diesel depot about. I've also "shut" a remote two-road DMU depot and moved them into the diesel depot.

I've built two new roads in the depot and placed the Bachmann two road train care shed over them to provide for carriage cleaning and light maintanence.

So my question is, would this have happened in prototype?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm just shuffling my diesel depot about. I've also "shut" a remote two-road DMU depot and moved them into the diesel depot.

I've built two new roads in the depot and placed the Bachmann two road train care shed over them to provide for carriage cleaning and light maintanence.

Cheers

Hi,

Cheers

Hi,

Eastfield (Glasgow, [old diesel depot]), Cricklewood (London, [old diesel depot]), Laira (Plymouth).

Yes.

At Bristol the DMU fleet was originally mantained at Marsh Junction. While Bath Road depot looked after the loco fleet.

In 1983 the 'Daily Shed' at Bath Road, (roads 7, 8, and 9) close to the end of platform 12 at Temple Meads was extended to fit 3-car DMUs for fuel and exam,

and later two roads of the 'Main Shed' were adapted to undertake daily exams of locos and DMUs,

edit - to add date, 1983 was when the 'Daily Shed' was extended. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

• RMweb Gold

We had a 158 unit stable on Saltley on the weekends and also when I was at Tyseley there were mainline locos repaired in shed alongside dmus HTH...mervyn.

Tyseley used to get a lot of main line locos on the diesel shed which replaced 'The Factory'. This was partly due to the presence of a wheel lathe. It did not only diesels but occasionally a.c. electric locos and EMUs and I even saw a Manchester - Bury unit in there on one occasion.
  • Like 1

Newton Heath (26A,9D etc) was the main shed for Victoria and north Manchester area services. Any DMU that could be found in Victoria was found on shed. As for locos well the usual suspect from the Manchester area  plus a few from foreign parts turned up in particular from southern wales (usual worked the Oldham mail order trains) not forgetting a D400 from the Glasgow/Man Vic service.

Just one example of a shed used for all diesel motive power in the 1970/80s.

• RMweb Gold

Some of my past gang of carriage cleaners would love the fact you provided a shed for them to work in as a lot of our stock had to stand outside. (not that we dealt with dmus, unless you count HSTs ;) ).

Reading had a new short 2 road shed added for loco servicing but locos were still occasionally dealt with and fuelled in the dmu shed.

• RMweb Premium

Cambridge Diesel Depot was primarily a DMU depot but had an allocation of diesel shunters of classes 03 and 08, and main line diesels went there for light exams (brake block changes etc).

Cambridge Diesel Depot was primarily a DMU depot but had an allocation of diesel shunters of classes 03 and 08, and main line diesels went there for light exams (brake block changes etc).

And D5508 was allocated there for a brief period (1 month?), I guess for some sort of training. I believe it was the only main line loco ever allocated there.

Stewart

Seem to remember back in the 80's at Reading when pairs of Class 37's were used on the Roberston - Theale - Robertson oil trains they used to stable in the depot after dropping off their train at the Terminal. Possibly for refueling .

When the 56's took over they used to stable in No3 bay . Remember when I was about 13 My friend and I were invited on board 56053 (remember like it was yesterday) by the driver who took us through the engine bay telling us what everything was.  Staff were so much friendlier in those days.

When the 60's took over they also stable in No3 bay as well but there always seemed to be a big Loco in the depot.

Cheers Trailrage