Happy 40th Birthday 101 !

Co-tr-Paul

With Christmas fast approaching, and with many sets being bought as presents, i thought i would wish the Hornby GWR Holden 0-4-0T a Happy 40th. Yes it was 1978 that this little loco first appeared as a replacement for Nellie and co and has since spawned several other locos using the same chassis including the Caley pug and D class and 06 diesel. 

Not to mention the noble sport of 0-4-0 racing !!

At last count some 36 liveries have appeared not including different running and catalogue numbers and paint finishes plus the odd code 3 and one off publicity models, and all from the same mould....??? 

Not bad for a one off prototype designed for a Somerset branchline !

So congrats from me and may there be more to come !

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The 101 was an odd  and to my view brave choice of prototype, a one off that AFAIK never ventured outside Swindon works or did any revenue earning work; it was very much a 'proof of principle' exercise.  Triang Hornby were looking to replace Polly/Nellie and her sisters, arguably a more rational choice as a model based on the NER inside cylinder 0-4-0T.  But this is a modeller's sort of perspective. and the real purpose of these 0-4-0s was starter sets, 4 wheeled locos easy for pre-school hands to place on the track.  In this role the loco has been a massive success, as has it's developments such as Smokey Joe and the Dowlais tank.

Happy birthday 101!

• RMweb Gold

the real purpose of these 0-4-0s was starter sets, 4 wheeled locos easy for pre-school hands to place on the track. In this role the loco has been a massive success

Happy birthday 101!

It certainly worked on a pre-school me. I still have my 101 and 3 4wheel coaches, bought for me in xmas 1979, together with 37130 and 3xmk2’s.

Last year they surfaced again in my collection, i gave my daughter the coaches to clean, they came up good as new. Still on its original motor.

Look on ebay shows 60 for sale, 100 sold, so they are still entertaining school kids today.

197,000... and i was the only kid in school who liked trains, who bought the other 196,999 ?

Edited by adb968008

To be honest I've never thought much of Nellie (or Connie, or Polly). Wrong era and I never had any nostalgia for them.

Based on the LSWR C14 but with inside cylinders though. Funnily enough one was numbered 101.

Eastleigh_Locomotive_Depot_geograph-2653

Picture from Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_C14_class

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I had one once. Parts of it are now scattered amongst various of my freelance locomotive creations. I agree that it was an interesting choice to replace the equally beloved and maligned Nellie (of which ironically a near unedited version of resides in my fleet), especially considering how obscure the prototype is. Still, it's still doing its job 40 years on so credit where it's due.

• RMweb Gold

The 4 wheel coaches are pretty useless for anything, but I once made an NCB 'paddy' coach out of 3 of them end to end for a friend's layout; in olive green and weathered up it looked the part from a distance, the distance being not less than 10 miles on a foggy day...

The 4 wheel coaches are pretty useless for anything, but I once made an NCB 'paddy' coach out of 3 of them end to end for a friend's layout; in olive green and weathered up it looked the part from a distance, the distance being not less than 10 miles on a foggy day...

Actually they're good if you're doing Hull & Barnstaple Railway 4 wheelers, as that appears to be what they're based on. I also use two in my own stock, but my railway is pure freelance so that doesn't really count for much.

Somerset and Dorset wasn't it?

There were drawings in Model Railways a few years ago of the prototypes.

Here's the previous thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34645-does-the-Hornby-gwr-4-wheel-coach-r446-represent-anything-real/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Same chassis ??

A couple of years ago I collected every livery version just for fun. My loco collection then went into 3 figures !! Including a bashed 0-6-0 version ! A colourful display ! Then sold them due to moving - may do it again for fun.

Perhaps it's about time for a new one done to modern standards

Maybe they might do something now they are finishing the Thomas range.

A nice little tank engine that is suitable for the Railroad range could be a good seller. Choose a good prototype and have a detailed version for the main range and a more robust version for the kids. 

Jason

Same chassis ??

A couple of years ago I collected every livery version just for fun. My loco collection then went into 3 figures !! Including a bashed 0-6-0 version ! A colourful display ! Then sold them due to moving - may do it again for fun.

I did consider buying the "Marillion" tanks for a laugh.

For those unaware of 1980s Rock bands, Mosley, Rothery, Hogarth, Kelly and Trewavas are the members of Prog Rock band Marillion. I think there must be a secret fan and I'm guessing it's Islesy.  :music:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/98222/Hornby_R3360_Freelance_0_4_0T_87_Mosley_Tarmacadam_in_black_Railroad_Range/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/98221/Hornby_R3359_ex_GWR_Class_101_0_4_0_393_Rothery_Industries_Railroad_Range/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/98223/Hornby_R3361_Class_D_0_4_0T_6_in_Hogarth_Stone_livery_Railroad_Range/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/322518/Hornby_R3496_LN_Class_D_0_4_0_7_in_Kelly_Son_Paper_Mill_livery_Railroad_Range_Pre_owned_Like/StockDetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/32156/Hornby_R2940_Industrial_0_4_0T_4_in_Trewavas_Aggregates_Ltd_red_livery_Railroad_Range_/StockDetail.aspx

Jason

• RMweb Premium

For those unaware of 1980s Rock bands, Mosley, Rothery, Hogarth, Kelly and Trewavas are the members of Prog Rock band Marillion. I think there must be a secret fan and I'm guessing it's Islesy. :music:

Jason

Would more likely be Young, Scott, Johnson etc if it were my influence, however I’m not the only rocker in the Dev team :onthequiet:

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 2

Maybe they might do something now they are finishing the Thomas range.

A nice little tank engine that is suitable for the Railroad range could be a good seller. Choose a good prototype and have a detailed version for the main range and a more robust version for the kids. 

Jason

Agreed, a modified Thomas Dart (the Bagnall) aside, there's been no new body for the basic chassis in a while, although on the diesel side the Sentinel can be bought quite cheaply. Personally, I'd like to see a brand new Railroad 0-4-0 chassis too, and perhaps a British bodyshell for the Hornby International 0-6-0t/0-6-0st chassis.