Now with Videos! Stranraer ‘themed’ loft layout 1959-64

danstercivicman

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Wow that looks great!  What’s the platform edging?  Is that peco?  

I’ve probably gone too far down the wood/scale-scenes route to re edge the platforms but will need edging... 

No, the platform surface is 60 thou styrene and the slabs are an extra strip of 20 thou. Once set hard I just score the top and edge. The walls are of course Plastikard embossed stone.

• Like 1

Working on the sea wall...

DAS modelling clay.   The wall appears (from the few photos available) quite rough.  I’ve tried to replicate the jagged effect..

Also cat litter, pva and paint to add some rock formations.  

The bit bit around the signal box appears to be concrete.

Still needs to dry and then be painted...

EFA4AC40-59F3-4F43-BCA0-E39DF35D754C.jpeg

A5CC30F4-A91F-4581-A50A-209641BB7567.jpeg

DE74D98E-3AEC-4D1C-9AF7-4A5CA8F8E6B5.jpeg

74DE0C34-4C3D-46DB-892C-75746F711C0E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I can’t resist the occasional 2P headed working.   This old Mainline model stalls intermittently in reverse but runs well forward.  I’ve striped it down and cleaned it but it’s still less than perfect when backing stock in.

The other 2P runs really well?  Hmm...

Finally painted the boards over the point rodding/barrel crossing.

The vacant patch (pic 4) will eventually hold a weigh bridge.

F70CA1C5-4C8A-4A8D-8BFE-4298EB69272E.jpeg

20B54B00-84C9-422E-969F-BBC04208C33C.jpeg

D2BE8083-857D-412C-BC8B-2E8C1DFCC2B7.jpeg

BA9E71E6-BB1E-4608-9027-A22813B09253.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

If the tight spot is in the rods open the tight one with a taper reamer. The wheels are another mater, I would give the woberly one a tweak with pliers and see if you can true it up or replace the wheel set. Try peter's spares, you might get lucky or build a new chassis and use gibson's. If you go down the last route I would spring it rather than compensate it coz 4-4-0's can be a bit of a pig and you will have to either use a double beam on the drivers and hang the front beam off the gear box. I would just get a new wheel set for that loco as a spare part if I could or it gets complicated.

Regards Lez.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Is it tender drive and does it have split axles? Is it the one that Hornby took over? It might be easier to get spares for it if it is coz I'm drawing a blank so far.

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01

It’s the tender drive one.   There is a member who does an excellent conversion using the newer Hornby front pick up Bogie/pony truck as the Mainline only takes power from the driving wheels which on insulfrog points is probably the main problem.  Strangely the other 2P runs perfectly!  

Edited by danstercivicman

• RMweb Premium

If you think the jerkiness is down to poor electricity supply (rather than a mechanical problem), an easy thing to do might be to check that the pick up wipers are making good contact with each of the four driving wheels?  If not, it should be easy to drop out the driving wheels and bend the wipers onwards gently so that they do.

• RMweb Gold

I use enamel thinners or lighter fuel. But if I have to take the pickups off I'll give them a rub over with a fiberglass brush as well. I have been known to blast a chassis out with switch cleaner and then relube the whole thing as well.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If your insulfrog stalling issue is on a particular set of points, then the loco may not be to blame at all except in the sense that it is particularly sensitive in this matter.  Check that the turnout is laid flat and level, and smooth to it's adjoining pieces, and that the flangeways are clear; I have occasional issues with grit and bits of odd scenery getting into them.  This will lift the wheel flange as it passes through the flangeway, and interrupt the continuity of your power supply, which is of course particularly vital on a four wheel pickup as there will be a position at which the other wheelset is over the dead frog,

I use plastic pound shop children's paint brushes to keep flangeways clear.  They come on a card with half a dozen on them in bright kiddy colours, but are useless for painting even to a child; they have very stiff nylon bristles.  This makes them just the job for flangeway clearing and they have several other uses on a layout as well, and are cheap enough to sacrifice if you want to use one to apply superglue in an awkward place.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I’ve wasted about an hour trying to sort the problem.  No joy.  

All the the other locos work great.  I guess this old Mainline one may be life expired.  

It will have to be a spares loco.  

The other 2P runs great. 

Locos :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Who makes a good 2P? There are kits if you can find them but I don't know of anyone with it in the current catalogues. Maybe Hornby has it in railroad. The Bachman compounds looks good maybe replace it with one of them.

Regards Lez. 

7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Who makes a good 2P? There are kits if you can find them but I don't know of anyone with it in the current catalogues. Maybe Hornby has it in railroad. The Bachman compounds looks good maybe replace it with one of them.

Regards Lez. 

Hornby did a loco drive 2P.  It’s the old  Mainline body with a new loco drive chassis.

The Mainline body is actually quite nicely done I think.

The Midland Compound would be another alternative-that’s by Bachmann but prices are steep atm.  

I’ve also decided, eventually the far back scene wall

will go (the bridge will remain).

There will be a countryside area as the trains sweep

round the curve and a large backscene to the rear wall to give scenic depth... 

The sky will also reach up the rafters and complete the look.

I’m also considering doing away with the arches and creating a rock face.  I think the arches are too urban.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1