Turntable Hole Method?

Hi all, I hope everyone is still in the Xmas spirit??

I am planning to start 2019 by undertaking a tuning-fork layout which will incorporate a peco NB 55 turntable, and am pondering the best way to fit it.

Quoting a quick Google:

"The Peco N Gauge NB-55 Turntable Kit - Well Type has a deck that is 151mm (5 15/16in) long. The well requires 151mm (6 1/10in) diameter. 23mm(7/8in) top of the baseboard to clear underneath."

The baseboard I will be using will be ply, or at a push MDF. Is there by any chance a circle cutter on the market of exactly the above diameter I wonder?

I've considered cutting the board in half and then at right angles to form an interlocking square aperture - this would involve reattaching the two halves and then making an insert (of an easier to cut material, such as polystyrene) in which to fix the turntable.

Other options I've thought of are, cutting the circle into the board by hand or drilling along a circular line and smoothing the edges off, both of which I'm not brimming with enthusiasm about...

Get a length of timber and fasten a small piece of metal ground to a sharp knife edge at one end, then hammer a nail to the correct distance - i.e. the radius of the hole you want, through the timber. Put the nail through the board at the centre of where you want the hole and cut away. Take your time, with gentle pressure on the blade, and the hole is neatly cut :)

• Like 4

Use a compass to mark out. You would be surprised how small the hole is. It's only 75mm radius.

If you haven't got a compass already then you can pick them up at places like The Works for about a pound.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/stationery/helix-metal-compass/079252317389?CAWELAID=720011340002612379&CATARGETID=720011340002678984&CADevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4oTjtNvA3wIV7bftCh04lgc0EAQYAiABEgIsuvD_BwE

When you've got the line then drill a few holes within the line, join up the holes with a saw and the use a file to smooth off. It sounds more difficult than it is.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used a router to cut similar size holes.

You need a second piece of scrap timber clamped underneath the one you are cutting and the router (using a narrow bit - say 6mm) on a radius arm fixed through both pieces at the centre of the hole.

You then set the blade to the depth of the timber you are cutting and away you go.

Hey presto - one perfect circle removed.

N.B. the router need to have a smallish foot else you wont be able to get down to app 75mm radius.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I used the following system to fit the turntable into my baseboard although it was for an 00 gauge the same method applies.

I drew 2 circles; 1 being the minimum radius to fit the turntable into and the other being slightly larger, this was the maximum radius that wouldn’t show outside the turntable ring. Providing I kept my cut within those 2 limits, I was assured that my turntable would drop into the baseboard hole, without it being a tight fit, for easier future removal.

• Like 2

If you have a Dremel, then  the following attachment can cut up to 12 inches in diameter.

Dremel Line & Circular Cutter Attachment 130mm (4348R)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dremel-line-circular-cutter-attachment-130mm/4348r

That, and a 6mm diameter router cutter, is exactly what I used to cut the 254mm diameter turntable hole in my 6mm birch ply baseboard. 

Take several cuts 2mm deep, don't rush it, and if the cutter chatters, increase revs :)

Many thanks, that sort of thing was my first instinct and I do own a set (not anything bigger than around 10mm though.)

As you say, the Dremel will be a useful addition to my tool kit - one of those things that you find yourself looking for excuses just to use!

As you say, the Dremel will be a useful addition to my tool kit - one of those things that you find yourself looking for excuses just to use!

Indeed - and I am reliably informed that a Dremel's the tool of choice with many a roadside dentist in parts of India.

• RMweb Gold

The Dremmel tool might prove to be a more useful long-term addition to your toolbox but here is a simple alternative (shop around though, this was just the first one I found).

Many thanks, that sort of thing was my first instinct and I do own a set (not anything bigger than around 10mm though.)

I wouldn't advise drilling a hole freehand which needs to be done with some degree of accuracy with a 6 inch holesaw, having done a few for ventilation and flue ducts in my time, wood is hard work to do neatly, plastrerboard is about do-able though, but not much good for baseboards!

Mike.