Oxford Rail announce J27 at Toy Fair

Sorry that the Oxford Rail rep had gone by the time you arrived.  I was told that Oxford Rail would be there on Saturday. It was a small table with the J27 in the centre surrounded by the 12T tanks and the BR N7 to the rear. 

The rep was good answering the various questions that were put to him.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Paul_sterling said:

Tudhoe Grange for myself, it was TGCS when i started (1998), but they ditched the comprehensive part of the title 3 years later and became TGS. My Dad was born 1956 if that helps.

Paul.  

I was born in 1955. 

Where did he live? 

Well me. I knew Ronnie. I lived at number 69 Heath Road. My auntie Peggy lived at number 19.

The lad next to me in the photo is Frank Petch. He lived round the corner from your dad. Probably about number 12 or 14.

What month was your dad born in? 

• Like 1
On 26/09/2019 at 23:36, durham light infantry said:

Part of me is reminiscening my 60's and 70's education. Corporation Road Nursery, and Harrowgate Hill Infants & Juniors. The other part of me (aged 55 & 1/3 rd)  is risk assessing and writing the report and ordering the safety barriers.

As we're filling in the time waiting for the J27 with memories, I found the Harrowgate Hill reference intriguing.

I was born in a room overlooking the Great North Road at Harrowgate Hill in 1945. It was conveniently 5 minutes walk from the East Coast Main Line. My earliest journeys to school were by trolleybus, changing in the town centre from single to double deck as we didn't have a car then. My first school, Lynton House, Stanhope Road, was just round the corner from Holy Trinity where I believe Edward Thompson married Sir Vincent Raven's daughter Guen. It is back to being a private house. My second school was Raventhorpe in Carmel Road, recently demolished. Sir Vincent Raven's house, also now demolished, was at the other end of the road. Then I went to nearby Uplands, demolished years ago and house and grounds now a housing estate. Finally, I ended up at the Grammar School, just round the corner from where I started and surviving as a sixth form college. To get to these I had to pass either the front or the yard of North Road locomotive works.  My mother drove me to the grammar school on her way to work in a private railway drawing office and we had to go over the level crossing over which everything entering or leaving the works passed, usually pulled by a J94, the driver reading the paper, and often backwards and forwards several times before the gates opened. It was good for train spotting but not good for getting to school on time! Round the corner at the back of the works there was a great heap of J27 boilers with numberplates on high over the fence overlooking a row of houses  and we philosophised whether they counted or not for trainspotting  purposes.  As for health and safety, no one cared in those happy days. There was a footpath from Harrowgate Hill which went right up to the East Coast Main Line and then away again where there was no fence and it went right up to the ballast. We had a den in a bush some 6 feet from the East Coast Main Line with its pacifics thundering past. No one every came to any harm.  I now live 5 minutes drive from the West Coast Main line. It's rather strange as the LMS was generally hated by my contemporaries . "Ask them about Fury" was a local saying!

• Like 2

Great to see many fellow Spenny lads on here. We should have a reunion at the start of next month at Spennymoor Show. Wonder if I can persuade Oxford to attend in place of DJ Models with the J27.

• Like 1
Just now, DLPG said:

Great to see many fellow Spenny lads on here. We should have a reunion at the start of next month at Spennymoor Show. Wonder if I can persuade Oxford to attend in place of DJ Models with the J27.

It would be good if they did. 

Paul. 

• Agree 1
16 hours ago, DLPG said:

Meh! Another year that I'll miss the Spennymoor show :( (And Hartlepool...)

Hopefully next year...

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1
On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:41, DLPG said:

Would be nice... then they can find out how much a J21 is bloody well wanted.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

J21 is bloody well wanted.

By a small, select band.  Think about it.  Come to think about it you perhaps spend to much time thinking about it.

• Funny 2
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:45, RBAGE said:

Mr. Ebdon with his suspicious looking tash.

Some might say politically incorrect these days! ;)

Rather like you can no longer buy kits from Germany with swastika decals, the days of the toothbrush moustache are surely gone. Thankfully.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a photo on Railway Modeller mag's facebook page with Steve Flint holding a decorated BR Loco. No tender attached.

It looked pretty good to my eyes.  Here it is below.  Just a taste to wet your whistle.

Mark

Oxford J27.jpg

• Like 6
  • RMweb Gold

As I hoped, after the excellent N7, the J27 is not disappointing, and I hope to make several purchases. It’s nice to see the three link couplings and fire irons. How well Oxford are doing with this lovely model.
Lets hope that next a B16/1 is developed for passenger services, since we now have two freight engines - the Hornby Q6 being the other one. 

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
4 hours ago, micklner said:

Large safety valve on the unlined LNER version whic would be early 1930's at the earliest , correct ?? 

Earliest? No, they were never lined in LNER livery. Balance weights fitted from 1932. Safety-valve trumpets hung on till at least 1936 - and probably beyond, but that's as late as I've ever modelled one. 

4 hours ago, micklner said:

Either way she looks excellent

I wouldn't go that far on the strength of these photos. Cautiously, I'd say the boiler-smokebox relation looks improved, but it's not possible to say if the cab-side windows and brake gear have been corrected. The frames are still too deep (too low between the wheels), but that's probably unavoidable in RTR - Hornby's J36 is the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Earliest? No, they were never lined in LNER livery. Balance weights fitted from 1932. Safety-valve trumpets hung on till at least 1936 - and probably beyond, but that's as late as I've ever modelled one. 

I wouldn't go that far on the strength of these photos. Cautiously, I'd say the boiler-smokebox relation looks improved, but it's not possible to say if the cab-side windows and brake gear have been corrected. The frames are still too deep (too low between the wheels), but that's probably unavoidable in RTR - Hornby's J36 is the same. 

Yes iI know they were'nt lined !!,  I see what you mean re the Cab windows a tad deep perhaps?. I wont lose any sleep over the frames however, as you said r.t.r , the Tender looks good too, and at a good price too !!

5 minutes ago, micklner said:

Yes iI know they were'nt lined !!,  I see what you mean re the Cab windows a tad deep perhaps?. I wont lose any sleep over the frames however, as you said r.t.r , the Tender looks good too, and at a good price too !!

Not too deep, no - too small, and therefore too far apart on the artwork up-thread. But that is hopefully no longer the case. 

What was your question re safety valves?