RevolutioN/Accurascale MK.5/MK.5A coaching stock/DT

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Would agree with the rest - well out of my period of modelling, but a set (along with the 68) will have to be acquired for the display cabinet if nothing else!  Im hoping whom ever gets the new CrossCountry franchise takes note!

Rich

• Like 1

you know, I'm going to want a lowlander in both OO and N now...... to bad a lot of the stuff RevolutioN does is limited run.... most likely going to have to go with N as that's my current exhibition layout

my main reluctance to buy the class 92 and mk5a coaches is the limited nature of the models, I want to be able to read a review of the models, but by the time the reviews come out it's too late to actually order them

Edited by Adamphillip
saving from posting again

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adamphilip,

Unfortunately the N Gauge market is still relatively small - so investing in many thousands of pounds in tooling is a gamble.

Doing it this way - where modellers who want things jointly fund it themselves, in essence - can be the only way to bring models to market.

We are hoping that reviews and peer comments about the models Revolution has delivered so far will reassure potential supporters that our mantra is quality, and that you can preorder our Mk5s and Class 92 with confidence.

cheers

Ben A. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

10 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Adamphilip,

Unfortunately the N Gauge market is still relatively small - so investing in many thousands of pounds in tooling is a gamble.

Doing it this way - where modellers who want things jointly fund it themselves, in essence - can be the only way to bring models to market.

We are hoping that reviews and peer comments about the models Revolution has delivered so far will reassure potential supporters that our mantra is quality, and that you can preorder our Mk5s and Class 92 with confidence.

cheers

Ben A. 

the problem is I know I don't have the money to pre-order now and I'm just going to have to hope trains4u will have some on their shelves

28 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi Adamphillip,

I think it is very likely Trains4U will stock these models as they have taken stock of all our other items!

cheers

Ben A.

yeah was in to see them today, so I think they'll be holding onto one for me as they know I'll be desperate for one of the 92 and 8 of the Caledonian sleeper coaches, will they still be running in 6 sleepers and 2 lounge coach configurations?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adamphillip,

As part of our research we will be confirming what configuration the Caledonian Sleeper vehicles will run in, and then offering our book sets accordingly.

You have probably researched this, but for those that do not know, two trains leave Euston each evening.  The Lowlander comprises 16 coaches and splits at Carstairs, with the first half for Glasgow and the rear 8 for Edinburgh.

The Highlander is also 16 and splits at Edinburgh, with two sleepers for Fort William (augmented with two seated cars tacked on before departure)  6 vehicles for Aberdeen, and 8 for Inverness comprising a mix of Sleepers, Accessible sleepers, Club Car and Seated Cars.

They nearly all split quite easily into packs of four (or perhaps 8 for the Lowlander halves and Highlander Inverness portion) but we need to do a little more homework before coming up with the final box set breakdowns.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I have to agree with coments about only doing preorders. Unlike most of the previous models these coaches (well the TPE ones at least) are a bit more mainstream so are more likely to have a contiuing market. I would love full 16 coach sleeper set along with a couple (eventually) of TPE but the max I can comit to paying for at one go would a TPE set and a FW quarter set of sleepers.  However if you could preorder something on a second batch (sometime 2021) then you can estimate a contiuing market for these models.

On 22/02/2019 at 13:09, Bomag said:

I have to agree with coments about only doing preorders. Unlike most of the previous models these coaches (well the TPE ones at least) are a bit more mainstream so are more likely to have a contiuing market. I would love full 16 coach sleeper set along with a couple (eventually) of TPE but the max I can comit to paying for at one go would a TPE set and a FW quarter set of sleepers.  However if you could preorder something on a second batch (sometime 2021) then you can estimate a contiuing market for these models.

Playing devils advocate here... on what grounds is the TPE mk5 set more mainstream than, for example, a Pendolino?

I think they will sell more mk5 sets than Pendolinos, as they are smaller, likely to be considerably cheaper and loco hauled trains will always be more popular than units, but they are objectively a lot less mainstream than a Pendolino. Wider scope of operation and 50+ units versus 13 sets of mk5s....

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For all our models we are aware that there may be those who are unable to commit to as many as they might like up front; this is why we have developed a small network of selected retailers to satisfy the ongoing market.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

1 hour ago, ash39 said:

Playing devils advocate here... on what grounds is the TPE mk5 set more mainstream than, for example, a Pendolino?

I think they will sell more mk5 sets than Pendolinos, as they are smaller, likely to be considerably cheaper and loco hauled trains will always be more popular than units, but they are objectively a lot less mainstream than a Pendolino. Wider scope of operation and 50+ units versus 13 sets of mk5s....

More mainstream as a modelling; coaches are always of more interest (going on the posts about models) than an EMU.  It took 17 years from introduction of the prototype 390 to a model in N Gauge. If the TPE Mk5as are available next year it will be within a year of them being first used in service.

3 hours ago, Bomag said:

More mainstream as a modelling; coaches are always of more interest (going on the posts about models) than an EMU.  It took 17 years from introduction of the prototype 390 to a model in N Gauge. If the TPE Mk5as are available next year it will be within a year of them being first used in service.

Not sure but I believe that Hornby managed quicker with the 91 & Mk iv stock!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

I am sure that a rtr catenary system that is proven to work would change this!

rtr catenary is almost an oxymoron. Unless a layout has no pointwork and very large radius curves, catenary will always require a lot of fettling to work. Perfectly feasible as some have shown but not rtr/rtp.

We are fortunate enough to be one of Revolution Trains stockists, and we will always order more of an item than we get pre-orders for.

We also operate a system where we will reserve items ordered in advance, but often, customers will only express an interest and only want to confirm the order once they have seen the model. With payment being taken when the item is despatched, there is no prior monetary commitment. So this may be an option if you have any uncertainty about what the quality of the model will be like. 

But as Ben eludes to above, the quality of all Revolution Trains models to date has been superb, and there is nothing to suggest that this will change. Whether you place order with Revolution Trains and pay a slightly lesser price for advance payment, or deal with a retailer at a slightly higher price and pay upon despatch, potential quality of the model should not be a deciding factor, based upon the superb quality of all their models to date.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We are still finalising the price and until we do we can't open the order book. 

Research work is already underway though and we are hoping to be in a position to show CAD drawings in a couple of months or so.

I promise that once we have something concrete to say we will post it here, or at least give a heads-up here that there is an update on our website.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hello all,

We are still finalising the price, so until we do what we can't open the order book. 

Research work is already underway though and we are hoping to be in a position to show CAD drawings in a couple of months or so.

I promise that once we have something concrete to say we will post it here, or at least give a heads-up here that there is an update on our website.

cheers

Ben A.

Thank you Ben! Thought I missed the information.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2019 at 21:47, njee20 said:

The artwork on the Dapol N gauge one was released in the last couple of days - can't comment on the accuracy of the colours!

My TPX 68 arrived a few days ago, and it’s a tricky one to call on the colour accuracy.

The most immediately obvious discrepancy is that Dapol haven’t used metallic blue on the nose, and the flat blue they have used is too light. Appreciating that Metallic paint is difficult to reproduce convincingly in small scales I can sort of understand why Dapol didn’t try, but it does make the colour on the model look quite wrong to my eye. 

I’m also not sure about the lighter blue flash up the cab sides, however on the prototype this does seem to vary quite wildly in colour from photo to photo depending on the lighting, sometimes appearing very blue and other times almost a silver shade, so again, not an easy colour to scale down. 

All things considered, ‘nearly but not quite’ is probably the best way to describe the colours used by Dapol. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how the coaching stock compares, because if RevolutioN are able to accurately recreate the metallic colours the loco could potentially look quite out of place. 

Tom. 

• Like 2