How ? Cutting 5 thou, 10 thou clear acrylic sheets

Penlan

What is the easiest way, without to much wastage, of cutting thin Acrylic sheets?

I've ordered 'Evergreen' 0.005" & 0.010" clear Acrylic sheets.
I don't have a laser cutter, etc., just handtools, scalpels etc.,
The purpose >>> Glazing 4mm scale coaches, thus small (around 12mm x 7mm) individual pieces.
In the past, for me, Acrylic has been brittle, thus I wondering.........
In the past I've used 0.005" microscope slip cover glass, but this is proving a fafff this days, and my eyesight is not that good either.
With many thanks.
PS - I searched RMweb, but couldn't see a straight answer, if there was one.

Edited by Penlan

• RMweb Premium

What is the easiest way, without to much wastage, of cutting thin Acrylic sheets?

The thinnest clear acrylic sheet that I use is 0.5mm thick which I just score with a knife and break, similar to how one cuts styrene. Holding along one side of the cut with smooth-jawed parallel pliers or a vice helps keep the break 'clean'.

HTH,

David

Edited by Kylestrome
Edited to include quote.
  • Agree 1

That's very thin. I would expect it to break cleanly once you have scored it once or twice with a scalpel.

Don't worry about not having a laser cutter. I would expect it would warp acrylic that thin. Mine does.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
Incomplete.

As mentioned above,  the best method for cutting styrene is with a scalpel and a straight edge, however, some clear styrene's are crystal based and these are a little brittle, not quite as bad as acrylic though.

The reason I'm using such thin material, is that if it's much thicker, at an angle, there tends to be a double reflection of say the side of the window moulding/etch...  Yes, even with my declining eyesight.
Some 30+ years ago I had some resin moulded horse box kits and they have 15 thou glass in them - part of the moulding - I see the double reflection at the edges.
Looks like scoring, then over a sharp edge, snap and go.........
I will report back over the weekend.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

• RMweb Premium

I've used a Silhouette Portrait cutter for cutting small shapes - it is a versatile machine.

I know it's just over £100, but I bought it primarily for repeated cutting of a lot of (over 1000!) rectangles, but also used it for a few small cutting projects and I know it is totally capable of cutting 12 x 7 window panels. 

But I don't know how it will deal with acrylic sheet.

Check out the dedicated silhouette thread.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

For very thin material I'd use scissors. However the biggest problem I have with flush fitting is what adhesive to use so that it doesn't get on the exterior or interior surfaces.   

Glue N Glaze possibly.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/collections/railway-1/products/glue-n-glaze

Jason