PFA, by Accurascale 07/07/20 NEW RUN ANNOUNCED!

• RMweb Gold

I maybe under estimated the strength of containers for coal, but I always felt that coal was an ambitious load for a fragile container, but it seems they lasted the test of time.

looking at the peak tops above the containers, I assume they weren’t stacked when on the ship to Ireland ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I maybe under estimated the strength of containers for coal, but I always felt that coal was an ambitious load for a fragile container, but it seems they lasted the test of time.

looking at the peak tops above the containers, I assume they weren’t stacked when on the ship to Ireland ?

The weak point was the door catches, many a time we had to put a ratchet strap round the container at seaforth to keep the door shut prior to being lifted off the wagons by a Valmet! 

Of course those that did burst open and lose a bit of coal around the wagon frames provided a nice source of free coal for the guys doing the maintainance

• Like 2

There's remarkably little in the way of photographic evidence of the Cawoods containers to the west of the Irish Sea. Some sources suggest they landed the containers at Drogheda or Dundalk, neither a destination of choice of the "gricer about town" back in the mid 80's, early 90's. Still scouring obscure photos of container yards of the era in the hope of seeing one, even better if @Irishswissernie can save me a headache!

RM.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, big jim said:

The weak point was the door catches, many a time we had to put a ratchet strap round the container at seaforth to keep the door shut prior to being lifted off the wagons by a Valmet! 

Of course those that did burst open and lose a bit of coal around the wagon frames provided a nice source of free coal for the guys doing the maintainance

The peaks of coal would slowly either be blown off, or trickle down to something approaching level. The containers were certainly stacked when I saw them on a ship off Penarth.

Regarding 'free'coal from spillages; you should have seen the pensioners arriving when a 16 tonner fell apart after a heavy brake application at Sandy Bridge, Llanelli. It was like something from a film. Sacks loaded on crossbars, wheeled shopping bags..

Coal and coke in 'modern' containers goes back a long while; apart from the well-known Derwenthaugh- Wakefield coke traffic, Freightliner shipped coal or coke via Holyhead, using open-topped ISO boxes as long ago as the nineteen-seventies, whilst 'Life and Times- Freightliner' has a photo of a South Wales- Newcastle train with at least four boxes of coke in the formation.

10 hours ago, Irish_R_M said:

There's remarkably little in the way of photographic evidence of the Cawoods containers to the west of the Irish Sea. Some sources suggest they landed the containers at Drogheda or Dundalk, neither a destination of choice of the "gricer about town" back in the mid 80's, early 90's. Still scouring obscure photos of container yards of the era in the hope of seeing one, even better if @Irishswissernie can save me a headache!

RM.

I have been digging through the files but nothing on the Irish side has turned up so far. As far as I can remember the Cawoods traffic from Lynemouth etc only ran for a few years in the early/mid 1980's. Prior to that the flows originated 'darn south' somewhere EDIT. found some views at Onllwyn South Wales.. I have found some interesting views of wagons on the 'Enterprise' trains through Carlisle. I have several views of complete Trainloads on the Settle & Carlisle of British Fuel containers but wonder if they were actually carrying gypsum for Kirby Thore prior to re-livery or perhaps the scottish coal flows were organised into train loads after the demise of the enterprise network.

Ernie 

Enterprise consist mar97 img567.jpg

Enterprise apr97 img332.jpg

Enterprise Aug95 img306.jpg

Onllwyn_MP201__EEV_D120267__june92.jpg

Onllwyn_shunting_Cawoods_containers_Sep89.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Irish_R_M said:

RM.

I have been checking out info on where the Cawoods containers went to in Ireland and as far as I can gather they were mainly shipped from Ellesmere Port to Northern Ireland where Cawoods were based. As NIR had given up on internal freight traffic earlier it is extremely unlikely that any containers were transported by rail or into the Republic ports.

Ernie

1 hour ago, BR Blue said:

Did the wagons just stay in Ellesmere Port until the containers returned?

They'd be reloaded with empty containers from an incoming ship. The ones they brought to the docks might be gone for a week or more; one of the advantages of containerisation is that the expensive part of the kit (the wagon) doesn't need to hang round waiting for the merchant to have space in his storage bins, or any of the multiplicity of things that used to mean a 16t mineral might only make one loaded trip per fortnight.

• Thanks 2

On 26/03/2019 at 09:02, definate maybe said:

. Great announcement and one i didnt see coming. I dont suppose there is an N gauge tie up planned is there? I know some of your releases have been done in partnership with other suppliers in the smaller size

If a partnership doesn't come off there's a perfectly acceptable kit

https://www.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_46&product_id=77

The flat is not that easy to build but with a bit of patience I've cobbled 3 together and now I just need to add some loads.

7 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have been digging through the files but nothing on the Irish side has turned up so far. As far as I can remember the Cawoods traffic from Lynemouth etc only ran for a few years in the early/mid 1980's. Prior to that the flows originated 'darn south' somewhere EDIT. found some views at Onllwyn South Wales.. 

Ernie 

Onllwyn_MP201__EEV_D120267__june92.jpg

Onllwyn_shunting_Cawoods_containers_Sep89.jpg

Now why show me them I will now have to get some to run with the Onllwyn HUO's

• Funny 1

Whilst looking through the files I came across this one at Onllwyn with 'KELLYS ' containers. New name on me!  THought Kelly was from the Isle of Man Not Northern Ireland!!!

Ernie

Onllwyn_37__Kellys__containers.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sadly a different kind of PFA and container Ernie, but we have found pictorial evidence of Cawoods containers on Irish 20ft flats with a pair of Baby GMs at the helm. Haven’t obtained copyright to display it publicly yet, but if we do froth gates this side of the Irish sea may burst open...

• Informative/Useful 2

Out of interest, how long did the British Fuels livery remain in traffic?  I've seen plenty of pictures of these in various EWS Enterprise services in the later half of the 1990s, but I'm assuming that this traffic may have been lost when EWS became a lot less enthusiastic about wagon load traffic around 1999/2000.  Is that correct?  Presumably the loss of traffic around this time was the reason why surplus PFA wagons were available for DRS to acquire.

On 25/03/2019 at 13:53, 'CHARD said:

Go and lobby Barwell for one; let Accurascale focus on things us Waverlites need - like Sturgeons and Class 100 Gloucesters :P

Lobby Barwell, cannot think of a bigger waste of time!  In fact I'd go so far as to say Accurascale do a VEA and a TTA for bitumen.  At least we'd see them by Late 2019, early 2020 at the latest!

Regards,

C.  

On 27/03/2019 at 07:53, 071 said:

See it more as getting free loads with the other wagons rather than getting charged extra for not having a load in this pack. Over a large run such as these the loads become very cheap. The cost in the PFA is the die casting of the wagon. Of course, you could Just buy a pack with a load on it if you feel it’s more value for money?

Cheers!

Fran

Well, I take your point, and if anyone only wants a few wagons, that would make sense.   However, 

Ground Control

shows three triple packs worth of PFA wagons behind a pair of Class 20s but if purchasing your three DRS packs, I'd be three containers short and whilst they may not add much to the cost of the PFA, I'm sure that if you decide to sell the containers individually they won't be free!

Unfortunately, I really like the British Fuels containers, but the DRS ones would fit better with my era.  Decisions, decisions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Well, I take your point, and if anyone only wants a few wagons, that would make sense.   However, 

Ground Control

shows three triple packs worth of PFA wagons behind a pair of Class 20s but if purchasing your three DRS packs, I'd be three containers short and whilst they may not add much to the cost of the PFA, I'm sure that if you decide to sell the containers individually they won't be free!

Unfortunately, I really like the British Fuels containers, but the DRS ones would fit better with my era.  Decisions, decisions.

Would you believe that the empty ones are one of the best sellers so far? Lots of people request empty flats and PFAs regularly run as empty wagons in DRS trains without containers as barrier wagons, or to and from destinations to be loaded. We really try our best to cater for everyone.

Cheers

Fran

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1