brylonscamel

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Buses for Braeside

The view from the roadway on the bridge, with the 'Alexanders' coaches in Bluebird liveries. The Northern livery is a respray using decals to complete the livery.

Of course the one thing that's needed is a driver!

braeside-bridge-03a.jpg

braeside-bridge-03b.jpg

Very nice mate. However if "Red Leader" sees these photos you'll need to watch out for dive bombers.

Regards Lez.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brylonscamel said:

Hi Lez  .. I'm lost! There's a reference that I'm missing ..

Bus-on-a-bridge, as you probably know, is a modelling cliché, and one that is done to death. @MrWolf has a tame Stuka for the removal of such travesties. However, I seem to recall that buses over a certain age are exempt.  

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Bus-on-a-bridge, as you probably know, is a modelling cliché, and one that is done to death. @MrWolf has a tame Stuka for the removal of such travesties. However, I seem to recall that buses over a certain age are exempt.  

Al.

I anxiously await a 'strafing' - surely TWO buses will have scrambled the Stuka?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Stuka alert!

What if the buses were taking guests to a wedding? On arrival, the driver might attend to chassis repairs with an arc-welding kit. A nearby road traffic accident will be attended by multiple emergency services. All with working lights, obviously!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

The Stukas are temporarily grounded due to the abysmal 4G signal around here screwing up the X-Gerät guidance beam. 

Apparently the crews were fed up with sitting around in this heat and took several barrels of home brew over to the new pub at Little Muddle. 

Normal levels of aerial terror will be resumed as soon as possible. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe modellers who include a bus on a bridge should also model an anti aircraft battery protecting the bridge complete with inbound Stukas. It could become the RMweb secret handshake. Other dive bombers are available.

Regards Lez.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

10 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Maybe modellers who include a bus on a bridge should also model an anti aircraft battery protecting the bridge complete with inbound Stukas. It could become the RMweb secret handshake. Other dive bombers are available.

Regards Lez.  

Layouts set in WWII are today a cliche in themselves. They are to today's modellers what a GWR branch terminus was in the 1970s. If I see another train of flat cars carrying Cromwells I'll scream!

• Agree 2

I wouldn't wish to dictate to anyone else where they set their model railway and there have been some incredibly well researched and executed wartime layouts, there's also been some that are not so. 

If you think that railway modellers can be pedantic, I give you WWII reenactors. 

That said, if you are portraying something real, as you would modelling an actual location, you have to be as accurate as possible.

I think that the the most common layout nowadays appears to be the diesel depot / TMD. Handy if your interest is in collecting locos.

Of course, the exit from the TMD is disguised with an urban bridge, lined with shiny modern buses...

I can already hear the sound of approaching aircraft, I'm not going to hang around to see what is painted under the wings, RAF roundels, Navy Stars, Iron crosses or the Rising sun, the results are always messy!

Edited by MrWolf
Grelling and Spammar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

There were some superbly executed GWR branch terminii in the 1970s as well. I was just pointing out that WWII (and WWI) layouts seem to be this decades "fashion" and there are an awful lot of them. It would be nice to see fewer!

• Like 1

You made a good point, layout subjects do go around in phases and as we are modelling something real, even if a fictitious line or fictitious location, we are still bound by what exists to some extent. I think that is part of what makes the hobby an interesting challenge, to create something that is believable. That isn't to say that you can't run your old Tri-ang Hornby class 37 on your 1910 era LNWR layout when you feel like it!

As for GWR branch termini, it was seeing those which made a seven year old me want to do something more with his train set than hurtle round a bare board at a scale two hundred miles an hour!  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The first dive bomber was the Sopwith TF.2 Salamander although to be honest it was more of a fighter bomber than a dive bomber. It was a development of the Sopwith Snipe fitted with armour around the front to protect the engine and fuel tank from ground fire. It was built for strafing and bombing trenches and it was found to be more effective at the latter in a dive. The airframe couldn't take the stresses of the later dive bombers so it wouldn't have used the near vertical dives associated with later models such as the Stuka or Dauntless but it was the first purpose built ground attack aircraft used by the RAF. It was developed too late for squadron service in the first world war being delivered in Oct 1918 but two saw service in France of that year. A total of 497 were built.

Wikipedia is such a wonderful thing don't you think?!

Regards Lez.    

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

The problem with the dive bomber is mainly twofold, it's lack of speed makes it very vulnerable unless it has fighter support. Secondly it is vulnerable to ground fire when attacking, especially if you only have a small number to take out the main target rather than attacking anti aircraft positions first. 

The invention of guided weapons and rocket armed low angle attack aircraft such as the Hawker Typhoon rendered the dive bombers obsolete by 1945.

• RMweb Gold

Ha! Tell that to the Japanese fleet at Midway. They had no fighter cover there. Yes ok they got away with it because the Japanese C.A.P. had been draw down to sea level by the torpedo attack but still...... The score was 4-1.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The RAF dive bombers were just as good as the Stukas. It problem is they didn't get the acclaim they deserved. The Skua and the Vengeance were both reliable, even if the vengeance was American. They were mainly used in the desert and far east. Once the allies got back into Europe they had been largely replaced by rocket firing ground attack aircraft so they missed out.

Regards Lez.     

Edited by lezz01
Typo
  • Agree 1

The Blackburn Skua was indeed a competent aircraft and like so many has been overshadowed by the much publicised Spitfire.

Something else that isn't mentioned because it's just slightly embarrassing, is that the first Stukas were powered by a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine until Junkers developed their own very similar Jumo engine.

Definitely, which is why such things were used to attack tank columns.

As for a 4mm scale bus on a bridge, you could always take out the house that it's in...

As @Alister_Ghas already pointed out, the buses on here are of sufficient age to be considered interesting, therefore exempt from indiscriminate air raids.

I'm a big fan of vintage vehicles, so I always squeeze a few onto a layout.

I think that my other half summed it up best when she said: "Everything modern looks like a Dyson." 

Which is a rather damning opinion of the  insipid nature of modern design from a 26 year old.

i can't imagine @brylonscameladding flashing lights to his layouts somehow!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 24/07/2021 at 21:54, Martin S-C said:

Not unless it represents crofters trying to light their pipes in a strong wind.

Cheers everyone for running with this one - I genuinely laughed! I'm currently working on some finescale crofters pipes - illuminated with a flickering LED. Obviously.

• Funny 3

Anyone for Fenestration?

When I chose Aboyne station for  inspiration for the station at 'Braeside',  I failed to understand the sheer number and variation of windows. The architects and glaziers had a field day with this one!

My interpretation of the old GNoSR drawings for the windows at this impressive station

SCALE-aboyne-plan-elevations-01.jpg.4113561656de408274a1c0b1ee341e61.jpg

Adding the windows needed for the building on the far platform, I produced this collection for the etch:

bm-aboyne-window-etch-A3-04-01.jpg.9b13d5fe05c71f6387a8590595ae9c5f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/07/2021 at 23:50, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.  

I thought that the bus on the bridge is already the RMweb secret handshake? :jester:

Appledore busses.jpg

• Funny 7