Charlie Strong Metals (and Watery Lane Sidings)

19 hours ago, Ruston said:

Three lions on his shirt. Nick is a football fan. He's tipped and is off for another load but first he's going to stop for a bacon sarnie and a copy of The Sun, so he can read the sports pages ...

I there is secret about how to paint that shirt?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I there is secret about how to paint that shirt?

A very small paintbrush and a steady hand. The three lions is a decal that I made by shrinking down a photo in Photoshop and printing it on decal paper.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, nomisd said:

That is the really weird thing - if you watch footage from England games up to Euro 96, there are more union flags in the crowd than St Georges crosses. 1966 world cup footage and there is nary a St George cross to be seen. You can even see this in NIck's 1980s shirt - its red white and blue not red and white. So he would be more likely to have a union flag in his cab.

You could be right, I remember seeing loads of union flags in lorry cabs up and down the country but my mate always had a St George's cross. Strangely enough he used to drive a tipper and I'm sure it was a Leyland too.  First flag I got one was a St Georges cross for Italia 90, and hopelessly tried painting my teams name on it! 

Edited by sb67

10 minutes ago, Ruston said:

A very small paintbrush and a steady hand. The three lions is a decal that I made by shrinking down a photo in Photoshop and printing it on decal paper.

That is very well done and a great bit of detail. 

• Agree 4

20 hours ago, sb67 said:

Great photo's Dave, you just need a St Georges flag behind the seat of Nicks lorry now.  The internal user wagon is fantastic, what were the new techniques you used? 

The rust holes. mainly. It's something I've never seen done in 4mm before. Roy C. Link used it on his 7mm narrow gauge stuff and that's where I got the idea from.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ruston said:

The rust holes. mainly. It's something I've never seen done in 4mm before. Roy C. Link used it on his 7mm narrow gauge stuff and that's where I got the idea from.

That's the first time I've seen it other than on military models, looks effective though, I like the way it's scuffed and you can see the undercoat and bare metal on bits that haven't rusted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Half-full

I've just given you god knows how many likes reading through this thread.

What I really like about all your layouts is that they are not done to the exact millimetre, but are absolutely fantastic, and look more 'right' than those that are done to the nth degree (and never seem to progress!)

Very inspirational, thanks for sharing

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

AKA a P4 layout!

Mike.

Oi!  I'm watching you:triniti:

I always finish my layouts.

Sooner or later.......................:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Up next...

Leyland Boxer Skip loader.

I'm using cast resin parts from Road Transport Images. Today went from this:

Charlies32-002.jpg.6af80d558006bec852cf3122715a2dbd.jpg

To this:

boxer-1.jpg.d444d57ad46f39e04b004f838c7042c4.jpg

There's still a lot to do yet.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

22 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

There might be a lot to do yet, I'm no judge, but I'm utterly amazed you got so far in one day.

Cheers

Acrylic paints! It's amazing how much can be done in the time you'd be waiting for enamels to dry.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Great job Dave. I always overlooked the BT mastiff as it looked very "squashed" but the work you have done shows it is actually it is a good representation. Skip lorry looks great as well.

• Like 1

The Peckett has also been fitted with sound. I have made a Shell decal for the 4 gallon oil drum and have also added a small oil container.

soundpeckett-018.jpg.375e482733b04898947e01872cc6832e.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Way back on page 1, Tom Burnham posted a photo of T.W. Ward's Silvertown scrapyard, where one photo showed a forecourt-type fuel pump. I decided this is what I wanted for the fuel facilities on Charlie's yard as soon as I saw that.  I was asking elsewhere on the interweb about fuel pumps and Harburn Hobbies were suggested but not only are they not exactly what I want buy they're eighteen quid! Sod that! I made these for nothing, using leftover scraps of plasticard and rod.

The one on the right is DERV, for the road vehicles, whilst the one on the left still has Four Star labelling, from the forecourt it was salvaged from but now pumps red diesel for locomotives and other on-site plant.

pumps-007.jpg.187768ead46d21e8cb4bfd8c4ef288cb.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5