Hornby 2020 range announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Does anyone not see irony in that theres two pages of oven temperature responses about a little black panel, thats actually glass, not black...

1B5DB47E-E472-46C3-841D-4F8964D1B747.jpeg.22fe6575c524d8883f7488691f0b6b04.jpeg

whilst ignoring the various inaccuracies of the carriages in between the power cars ?

But it is also a one-off train. Whatever prototype we follow, one-offs almost always look wrong on the layout, because they are just that. Railways run a few fleets of identical trains, particularly in the modern era. Too many modellers operate on the half-Noah principle - one of everything. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But it is also a one-off train. Whatever prototype we follow, one-offs almost always look wrong on the layout, because they are just that. Railways run a few fleets of identical trains, particularly in the modern era. Too many modellers operate on the half-Noah principle - one of everything. 

Thats because doing a full noah will need 10 years extra mortgage and a bigger boat

:-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

This is no doubt interesting to the marketing people.  Your first 16ton mineral is unboxed joyfully, pored over, admired, and put into service.  Your attitude to the 60th needed to complete the rake might not be the same, and your first cattle wagon might seem a more attractive way to spend £25...

I’ll confess to half Noah for several items on my layout; 21t hopper, cattle wagon, fuel oil tank, Mica, several types of NPCCS.  I also have half Noah tendencies when it comes to liveries, one of reasons I chose a transition period to model. 

This in spite of my firmly held view that realism is better served by modelling the everyday, the commonplace, not the exceptional or unusual.  My advice is to model what is likely to have been seen at your location at the period you model, not what might have turned up once in a blue moon.  No inspection saloons for me; I don’t even have any departmentals.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Anything that doesn't legitimately not run in a rake I have some sort of rake for, but not typical real life numbers!

I am thinking of doubling up on some of the passenger trains I have on pre order (LNER 800 and TPE mk5s) but I am committed to that much stuff already I ought not to. I think it looks good when two identical/similar trains are running together.

Mundane makes sense , but becuase today’s railway is mind numbingly mundane - you’ll see a ton of yellow test trains pass on the average contemporary layout, together with more specials than would make real time trains implode.

now if you want nice mundane you’d be talking blue 31, blue 37, blue 45, blue 47 etc etc...jumpers for goalposts etc....

Is that Andy Y driving that HST ?

• Funny 1

On 22/02/2020 at 14:15, Dunsignalling said:

TBH, just running it screws any collector value, and detailing/weathering, if carried out competently, can improve your chances of getting a decent return when you move it on.

On the other hand, I've occasionally bought professionally-done models for less than the weathering job originally cost. 

On 22/02/2020 at 14:29, Steamport Southport said:

If any one hasn't seen it, watch the James May's Toy Stories programme where he's talking to the collector for evidence of this. The collectors even check if there are any scuffs on the wheels....

On 22/02/2020 at 15:03, Robin Brasher said:

We had a Wrenn evening at the Sussex Vintage Model Railway Club and one member put his Wrenn streamlined Coronation Pacific on the track. It  screached and groaned as it  ran half a circuit of the track.  Another member of the club asked if he would like him to put a drop of oil on it. The owner of the Coronation panicked and told him not to oil it as it will ruin its resale value as a mint and boxed locomotive.

On 23/02/2020 at 10:37, Butler Henderson said:

Some time back now models which had been "detailed" typically sold for more than the mint second hand ones; then people started buying them to keep in the boxes rather than actually running them and prices went silly. Have heard of some collectors who never open the box so quite how they know what it says on the box end is actually in it I do not know in cases where a card insert covers the model and quite what resale value it has if its found to be faulty on its first run in how many decades time.

I will speak as both a collector and a modeller which I guess condemns me as a heretic of the highest order, but I think it is important to remind everyone that we are a broad church, and that for every purist collector that wants the tapes still sealed and the shrinkwrap still on there are many others that are happy with running, or used, or modified items. Any modern superdetail item which has had detail parts applied and/or sensitive improvements made is still absolutely saleable; it just might find a different buyer than the purist collector.  So I say unto you, if you want to leave it as made - fine; if you want to make changes - also fine. But unless you dip it in Hammerite you won't 'ruin' the resale value.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Advising Hornby of the yellowness of various areas that should be black is perfectly sensible, but I see little point in airing the fact that one has done so on here unless and until a response is forthcoming. 

Just adding my OP was on Thursday and then I pm'd the Hornby Rep on Friday with the utmost respect & courtesy, what I got back was quite the opposite thus whatever Hornby do with their NR HST you will not be hearing from me on here...one simple post that had devolved into a slanging match and character assassination, great job people :good:

19 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Just adding my OP was on Thursday and then I pm'd the Hornby Rep on Friday with the utmost respect & courtesy, what I got back was quite the opposite thus whatever Hornby do with their NR HST you will not be hearing from me on here...one simple post that had devolved into a slanging match and character assassination, great job people :good:

Now,if you think differing opinions are “ character assassination “ , you may be too sensitive for the internet.

This site is well moderated to keep the banter/ conflict within adult parameters

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/02/2020 at 20:27, classy52 said:

If anyone from Hornby are reading this thread can you please ensure the doo daa's (lol for the life of me can't remember what they're called?) on the NR HST cab ends are painted black as per prototype, and not lazily left yellow like on your previous NR HST release...thank you.

Unfortunately you can only get side photos of R3769.

This is your "OP". Had it been in a new thread of its own you might not have got so many comments. But you picked the Hornby 2020 news thread to act as a conduit to the manufacturer, despite not being able to recall the name of one of the components you asserted were unpainted. You also accused Hornby of being lazy. This fits exactly with my comment about members using RMweb to beat manufacturers and others over the head. It is not what the forum exists for. I am not clear who at Hornby you actually contacted - "Hornby Rep" could mean the man who services your local Hornby dealer, who has no more say on how models are painted than I do - but evidently your approach got an unsympathetic hearing. Reading the tenor of your "OP" here, I wonder why. Not. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I will refrain from posting in this thread ever again or any other Hornby thread I had posted in before because to be honest it's just not worth the ensuing grief unless I post something positive or warm & fluffy, I've seen many others go thru this watching from the sidelines and yes as an observation over the last 4 years I've been on here it mainly happens within the Hornby threads thus I'm done.

TBH that happens on every other manufacturers sub-forum. It's happened in the Heljan one, it's happened on the Dapol one, it's happened on the Bachmann one. It's definitely not a core feature of the Hornby sub-forum. Going back and reading your comments about the matter, they do come across as a bit strong. But then again in this world of social media, the lack of emojis tend to make a post strong (as I've been told).

The issue you highlighted is based on the incident that happened the last time Hornby released a pair of Network Rail HSTs, so it's obviously not a new thing. You're right in bringing it up. However the last time this happened, Hornby happily took back peoples models, had the yellow parts painted black and sent the models back. And IIRC Hornby paid for the postage as well.

After all they are just toys aren't they.

Well they are.... (sorry couldn't resist)

Hello,

After a few shandy’s and enjoyable evening of cards this has made for some light reading before bed!

Last year I bought more new Hornby than I had for the last few years. I was hoping for a couple of things this year, the NMT HST power cars being the main item along with the GBRF 50’s (although I only want 1). My young girls like the flying banana so getting these and the extra coach will create a nice set. I’m more than happy with the compromise needed to create this as an affordable model RTR and I can always modify/improve where I can and if time allows. 

I’ve ordered far more than I expected too already and the SRPS coaches and RBR have kick started a modelling project to create a 10 coach set of the SRPS mainline charter set.

I think this year is one of the best ever from Hornby. Plus the cake at Glasgow was a nice treat for our group Sunday morning. (Thanks to Colin)

Lets all just enjoy our trains and be kind this weekend!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17
Missing word
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

toys?   blooming expensive if theyre only toys.  god knows then if they were accused of actually being scale models.....

Just confirming the truth of the old saying that "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys".

John

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Judging by the depth & breath on here about  some 'toys', if a model is out by so much as a gnats gnadger, there will be mass insurrection in the streets. 

Now, off to see City of Truro in NSE livery....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Time for the pedants to revolt.  Google dictionary defines a toy as 'an object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something'.  Thus a toy cannot by definition be played with by an adult, only by a child.  Now, if you want to describe some of us as children, that's another discussion; I've never regarded myself as a grown-up!  Don't include me, as I'm off to the layout room to make chuff chuff and whistle noises as I operate my model railway, as opposed to playing with my toy trains.  I draw the line at wearing an engine driver's hat, besides, the engine driver wanted it back...

I thought the SVR's rendition of CoT in early BR lined black with red backed number and name plates looked very smart, and was no less valid than the incorrect livery the loco has carried since the LNER saved it for museum display.  It should be in unlined green with black frames.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2