The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

28 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Andrew, what kept you?  We're already into the afternoon and I was expecting this thread to have started within seconds of midnight!

Happy New Year!

Haha, So was I, and so I thought, Sod it, start it yourself this year.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Anyone have definitive info on free to view and terrestrial coverage this season please? 

I was perfectly happy with Ch4 last year but can't remember if the same deal is in place for this year. Sky and Now can go whistle as far as I'm concerned, with Premier League football spreading out though I'm hopeful Amazon or Netflix might join the F1 party.

C6T. 

Business as usual it'd seem: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/f1-highlights-remain-channel-4-2020-broadcaster-strikes-sky-deal

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yes it appears C4 will be the same as last year which I can live with, certainly a good well informed Team, and I liked young Billy Mongers bright and knowledgeable input as well.:good_mini:

As a Sky subscriber, I have not ventured to C4 as bl@@dy EJ was too full of his self-importance and DC doesn’t have the presentation style to match his experience that Martin Brundle offers. As a resolution for this year, I vow to at least record the C4 offering :D

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Kingzance said:

As a Sky subscriber, I have not ventured to C4 as bl@@dy EJ was too full of his self-importance and DC doesn’t have the presentation style to match his experience that Martin Brundle offers. As a resolution for this year, I vow to at least record the C4 offering :D

I always felt Brundel to be full of self importance, but I haven't seen or heard him for a few years now, so he may have changed. I find EJ amusing and DC quite humble of his past achievement's.

I also enjoy the relaxed banter of Steve Jones, and his almost child like links, they bring both humour and expectation to the program IMHO.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I always felt Brundel to be full of self importance, but I haven't seen or heard him for a few years now, so he may have changed. I find EJ amusing and DC quite humble of his past achievement's.

I also enjoy the relaxed banter of Steve Jones, and his almost child like links, they bring both humour and expectation to the program IMHO.

Difficult to satisfy all the people all the time, isn’t it! Of course when Murray Walker was tamed by James Hunt, a pattern for F1 broadcasting was set. It’s evolution has now given us the Sky circus vs the C4 set up. Is it time that such broadcasting re-invents itself, just as F1 is being forced to do?

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

It's a personal thing for me, I won't begrudge anyone for their own choices but I'm afraid I don't like Sky's owners or their business models hence my reluctance to add to their coffers. Besides I'm unwilling to pay to watch four wheeled advertisement banners for two hours!

I should have liked to see Jensen Button join the C4 team.

C6T. 

• Agree 6

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Not forgetting Mark Webber, always good value, telling it like it is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Classsix T said:

It's a personal thing for me, I won't begrudge anyone for their own choices but I'm afraid I don't like Sky's owners or their business models hence my reluctance to add to their coffers. Besides I'm unwilling to pay to watch four wheeled advertisement banners for two hours!

I should have liked to see Jensen Button join the C4 team.

C6T. 

less worried about the owners now the murdochs aren’t involved, it is more Martin Brundle that kept me away last season.

I may however suck that one up and  give nowtv a go this year as I don’t like the lack of continuity in constant highlights...

• Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

less worried about the owners now the murdochs aren’t involved, it is more Martin Brundle that kept me away last season.

I may however suck that one up and  give nowtv a go this year as I don’t like the lack of continuity in constant highlights...

Copy that but the obnoxious TV model is still in place, pay subs and suffer invasive advertising, they can get stuffed. One or the other, not both, it is extracting the urine.

C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Copy that but the obnoxious TV model is still in place, pay subs and suffer invasive advertising, they can get stuffed. One or the other, not both, it is extracting the urine.

C6T. 

Sky show the full race without any interruptions and have done so for a lot of years. Their pre-race, post-race and Quali shows are interspersed with adverts. I do not defend Sky's business model but I do like to see the whole race from start to finish.

• Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Kingzance said:

And yet I prefer DC over MB, as for EJ he is kept nicely in check so overall I prefer the C4 coverage, each to their own.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The race coverage isn't my point, charging for an up front package, with adverts, and demanding more for bolt on sport, film and extras is. If you're telling me the advertised bolt on cost for F1 to a Now subscription is value for money I'm gonna tell you that you can keep it, I don't need F1 in my life that badly.

C6T. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 18:24, EddieB said:

Not forgetting Mark Webber, always good value, telling it like it is.

Who seems to have the respect of the tram team owners when he interviews them so he can get away with the odd dig, always worth watching and he works well with DC.

Edited by royaloak
fix unintended but funny spelling mistake.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

Sky show the full race without any interruptions and have done so for a lot of years. Their pre-race, post-race and Quali shows are interspersed with adverts. I do not defend Sky's business model but I do like to see the whole race from start to finish.

C4 do have the adds mid Race, but as it's not live, at least you know your not missing any juicy bits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2